Paint Thoughts - Hit me with recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a sun baked red 80, hood and roof mostly. For s***s and giggles I am going to wet sand back the burned edges and clear the whole hood!
I have nothing to loose so why not :hillbilly:

I was assuming your TLC had the original paint. The original white 045 was single stage, with no clear coat. If there is clear coat coming off, evidently someone repainted it and added a clear coat for some reason.
Oh gotcha, yea repainted a while back, 90s Mitsubishi pearl white

IMG_20200613_135912.jpg

any single stage paint advice on my green OEM 1994 FJ80?

any single stage paint advice on my green OEM 1994 FJ80?
Yeah you can spray the whole car with single stage paint but It's not going look that good or shiny because your color is the 2 stage green pearl color ( 6M1). Most of the single stage paint is intended for solid colors. Or you can just 1000 grid wet sand the whole car and spay it with a new coat of clear.

Yeah you can spray the whole car with single stage paint but It's not going look that good or shiny because your color is the 2 stage green pearl color ( 6M1). Most of the single stage paint is intended for solid colors. Or you can just 1000 grid wet sand the whole car and spay it with a new coat of clear.
got it. Wondering if anyone has ever done a single stage with a dark green that is close as you can get to OEM without doing the 2 stage pearl green? Or maybe a close green single stage on a 40 or 60?

I have a sun baked red 80, hood and roof mostly. For s***s and giggles I am going to wet sand back the burned edges and clear the whole hood!
I have nothing to loose so why not :hillbilly:

Bingo - exactly what I did & when I went to buy a pint of PPG clear / shoot from a gun, I got sticker-shock so I bought 4 rattlecans of clear - on my old green 450 the results were relatively awesome.

Rattlecan laid flat enough I never bothered to colorsand, and all seams were masked to places you had to look to find.

Pulled masking & ran it. Done deal.

We have ~25yo ‘Yotas, not Ferrari Daytonas / whatever car you drool over.

-Point being, there’s a threshold when we’re talking clear-repairing.

So my factory paint is suffering classic clear coat failure on the hood, roof and rear pillars. 96 80, Nightshadow Pearl 8K0 (Blue).

Normally I am highly function over form, but after going through many things I am finally looking at maybe painting the thing. It is also my DD.

It wasn't too bad maybe a year ago, but in the California heat it is cooking.

I've thought about getting a complete re-spray (budget isn't that high), painting it white or black, or just tackling the affected areas. Honestly, kinda always wanted a white 80, but I don't know if its worth the effort or easier? I am not getting a different truck. Not keen on bed liner.

Thought i'd hop on mud and get some recommendations. Any thoughts?

Will attach photos.
What's happening, here? OP hijacked my very situation. Seriously, the original post describes my truck (same color, same year), perspective and situation Exactly. It's kind of eerie. I'm watching this thread closely. If the guy mentions his wife and kids, and they have the same names as mine, I'm calling Rod Serling.

got it. Wondering if anyone has ever done a single stage with a dark green that is close as you can get to OEM without doing the 2 stage pearl green? Or maybe a close green single stage on a 40 or 60?
I did the cheapest Maaco paint job and I believe that's single stage enamel. Looks just like the 6M1 paint code to me. Did it a couple of years ago and it still looks good. There's a thread called "show me your Maaco paint jobs" or something like that where I posted some pictures.

I did the cheapest Maaco paint job and I believe that's single stage enamel. Looks just like the 6M1 paint code to me. Did it a couple of years ago and it still looks good. There's a thread called "show me your Maaco paint jobs" or something like that where I posted some pictures.

I hear Maaco is real hit-n-miss.
Maaco Canada used to be a hot ticket - esp if you rolled up & flat pulled your outer body lights, all the grill / trim yourself & did major masking with tinfoil (like the radiator, etc) - & did it to minimize how much of the time allotted the Maaco guy spent masking.

Most guys had bought / borrowed DA sanders too, hit the major areas to kill how much of that clock time was spent there too.

IIRC, if you logged the morning appt & rolled in legal then pulled your lights, etc - masked the big stuff - that was how you got the best amount of gun time for your $$ spent.

HTH for you guys who flat don’t have the equip/area to spray.

Overspray is easy to make for a pissed neighbor if you live too close, something to think of too :cool:

20180508_091448-jpg.1823985

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom