Daniel/Novaphotog's Build, Maintenance and Journey Thread for "Pearl" the 1996 locked FZJ80 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Truck is pretty much baselined. All of the items from the checklist have been done. Lockers have been fixed (new rear actuator), only big ticket item left to be addressed is the A/C. Taking it in for an inspection on Monday. Gets hot quick around here!

Time to turn the page. Mods and Maintenance. First up, a Bowfin Cruisers roof rack! Super happy with the build quality here. Absolutely solid and well organized. Definitely took two people for the build/install for sure!

Pre-roof rack wash:

IMG_2769.JPG

Expedition Ready:

IMG_2773.JPG

IMG_2772.JPG

Adding in some little things she was missing as well:

IMG_2783.JPG

IMG_2785.JPG

why can't i see the pix? or is that just me?

Your clean truck has convinced me to get rid of my faded and worn body side moulding.

Had a great time this past weekend at Anthracite Outdoor Adventure Area (AOAA)!

Truck ate up all the greens we did and ask for more! Will definitely back with a smaller group to more blues (with the White Knuckle Sliders on...) ;)

IMG_3042.JPG

IMG_3120.PNG

IMG_3127.JPG

Nice looking! -Green gets a bad rep, but I personally like/had one - the burgundy are my personal eyesore.

A quickie on Mobil 1 - good stuff but not for the birfs when you get there. No moly in the grease. Just so you know. Valvoline does a good semi-synth one though.

As much mud as you’re seeing, you might pop the standard square pipe plug cap off the top of each front knuckle & chopstick/ziptie -dip each side, see the color/level of birf grease.

And like someone mentioned, extend the diff breathers - and the front factory plastic box unit is a POS that likes to jam.

Hope you kept those FR mudflaps to sell- people pay for those as most 80’s got running boards & a port installed roof rack - yours dodged that bullet & even has the e-locks!

Nice looking! -Green gets a bad rep, but I personally like/had one - the burgundy are my personal eyesore.

A quickie on Mobil 1 - good stuff but not for the birfs when you get there. No moly in the grease. Just so you know. Valvoline does a good semi-synth one though.

As much mud as you’re seeing, you might pop the standard square pipe plug cap off the top of each front knuckle & chopstick/ziptie -dip each side, see the color/level of birf grease.

And like someone mentioned, extend the diff breathers - and the front factory plastic box unit is a POS that likes to jam.

Hope you kept those FR mudflaps to sell- people pay for those as most 80’s got running boards & a port installed roof rack - yours dodged that bullet & even has the e-locks!

Gotta a good amount of compliments on the color so far. White, Dark Emerald and of course Night Shadow Blue are my favorites.

I'm thinking of doing a flush again soon (3k miles) since it was so s*** before. You recommending switching to the Valvoline semi-synth 75-90 then?

And what am I looking for color wise with that test (birfs, knuckles, etc all new to me with this truck)? All I've learned so far is to watch out for seepage.

Diff breathers front and rear have been extended. And mudflaps have been kept. Need to repair the rear passenger fender flare, any tips there would be appreciated, but I think Overland Bound has a video on it. Will keep mudflaps and may reattach if I'm not going to be wheelin' for a bit. I like the look.

And yes, this truck is apparently relatively rare in that regard. Especially not having the roof rack. A few less holes in the roof to worry about!

White Knuckle sliders installed. Love them so far! Need to scratch them up soon though, they are way too pretty!

106536868_10200130638699989_2874035186556419726_n.jpg

107096518_10200130637899969_3233571297796058934_n.jpg

80229044_10200130638499984_6002189490042745923_n.jpg

106782441_10200130638219977_1980142596118103215_n.jpg

She's come a long way...

Current mod list:

• 35in 315/75/16 Cooper STT Pro M/T's mounted (stock suspension pictured, no rubbing, doubt it would flex much though).
  • Trail Gear Rock Defense bumper (powder coated satin black)
  • Apex Badland 12k Winch
  • White Knuckle Off-road Sliders
  • Bowfin Cruisers roof rack
  • CVT Mt. Shasta Extended RTT
  • Complete rust descaling and undercoating of frame and undercarriage (sort of pictured and not really a mod but it's been done)
  • 35% front window tint

_MG_9878.jpg

_MG_9860.jpg

Items "down the trail" from these pics:

Maintenance

• Wit's End Modified Blue Fan Clutch (had some overheating recently at Cape Lookout on the sand, understandable given temps that weekend)
  • Toyota Oil Sender unit (dash gauge is flatlined)
  • Driver's door catch (have part, but the metal hole it comes through is bent and it doesn't align)
  • Driver's door window gutter (have part, but window has been working fine so haven't felt the need to replace it even if it would make it better)
  • Fix the rear passenger fender flare (need to order kit from Cruiser parts, but also need one of the plastic tabs that broke off on the fender itself to epoxy)

Mods (sooner rather than later)

• Dobinsons 3in Heavy Lift
  • Nitro 4.88 w/ e-locker gears (axle fluid flush at the same time, will switch to Valvoline Semi-synth as recommended above)
  • 4x4Labs Double Swing Out Rear bumper w/ Tire and Jerry can mount
  • 42in single row Cali Raised LED Spot/Flood combo light bar
  • Baja Design Amber pods (need to get some tube mounts, want to put them on the bumper)
  • Toyota Wind deflector install

Mods (later rather than sooner)

• Double din head unit w/ front trail cam mounted to bumper and rear backup camera (open to ideas on which double din units support this and Carplay)
  • New speakers front and rear
  • Hushmat sound deadening install at same time as speaker install and sub wiring to rear
  • CB moved from 4runner to Land Cruiser

Trips on horizon:

• Flagpole shakedown run post-lift
  • Rausch Creek
  • Canaan Loop in WV in August
  • Possibly ATR in TN (TBD)

@Novaphotog Looks great.

What 35% tint film did you use?

Haven't updated in awhile but...pending mods from the previous post have been completed. Sold the CVT and ordered a Jack of All Trades Overland hardshell.

Starter recently failed on me, hit it a few times with a hammer and she started right up. Have the replacement Denso from Wit's End ready to go in just need to find the time. Otherwise, "off season" maintenance will be mostly more restoration work. Repair the fender flare, and cut and weld in replacement rocker dog leg piece on the drivers side. Rehang the exhaust in the back. Order some jerry cans. Ordered a Huracan fab tailgate storage panel as well I need to install.

Truck drives like a Cadillac on the trails and the gears make getting to them a non-issue. Powers up hills with ease and can cruise at 80 no problem.

Current list as she sits:
  • 35in 315/75/16 Cooper STT Pro M/T's
  • Trail Gear Rock Defense bumper (powder coated satin black)
  • Apex Badland 12k Winch
  • White Knuckle Off-road Sliders
  • Bowfin Cruisers roof rack
  • Dobinsons 3in Heavy Lift (all supporting Delta hardware, panhard bar mount, sway bar drop brackets, Wit's End rear extended sway links, etc)
  • Nitro 4.88 w/ e-locker gears
  • 4x4Labs Double Swing Out Rear bumper w/ Tire and Jerry can mount
  • 42in single row Cali Raised LED Spot/Flood combo light bar

IMG_3259.jpg

3EEA1F63-4304-48F5-BF04-4FC03DE41194.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3474.jpg

Really nice rig. Good work bringing it back to life and enjoying the hell out of it!

Who did your regear?

Really nice rig. Good work bringing it back to life and enjoying the hell out of it!

Who did your regear?

Thanks! Didn't buy the truck to just look at it. Worth it all when I can escape and go on these trips and crawl over everything in the way haha!

Friend of mine did the re-gear and 4x4labs kit welding.

IMG_4850.JPG

IMG_4831.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

IMG_4884.JPG

119098549_3856417331052788_5264936441959422804_n.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom