Entering the 80's from my 40's past life (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello Fellow Mudders. I'm switching over to the 80's! I had a previous love affair with my '76 40. Sold it when My family grew to 4 and started a new small business. Sold it for $9k (had ~$13k into it) and i recently reached out to the purchaser. He is willing to sell it back to me for $28k after he put in $14k of mechanical upgrades. As much as a "sling shot" story is poetic if I were to have it back... it has me thinking further. We get to explore the Crested Butte area of Colorado with abundant trails and adventures. With my larger and now older family (9yrs & 6ys) and a bit more requirement of comfort... I think I'm falling into my new relationship with an 80 series. That being said I am familiarizing myself currently in the forum and getting that buyers urge ... and I'd like your honest feedback on a rig that is for sale. Price seems reasonable? Mileage is high but with its amount of recent rebuild/ replacement and maintenance it may be a non-issue. Please have a look at the list of recent work completed. Seller is to install a new master cylinder and fuel pump as well.
Current mileage is 294,000.

1. Complete engine rebuild at 279k miles, including oil pump and front cover. No expense was spared here. The kit I ordered used all Toyota parts, except for the head gasket, and I replaced that with a genuine Toyota gasket, so the motor is completely Toyota, inside and out.

2. Head was cleaned up and decked, valves lapped, and new valve springs installed.

All the following parts were installed in the last year, and are genuine Toyota, unless otherwise noted.

3. Water pump

4. Alternator

5. Power steering pump (rebuilt)

6. Plugs and wires

7. 3F blue hub Fan clutch

8. O2 sensors

9. CSF all-Aluminum radiator

10. Front and rear catalytic converters (Bosal)

11. All new bushings in front end

12. Front knuckle rebuild, including wheel bearings and seals

13. Rear end bearings/seals

14. Brake pads/rotors all four corners (forget the brand, not Toyota)

15. New u-joints, front to back

16. New brake calipers, all four corners (factory rebuilt Toyota)

17. Old Man Emu Heavy 3/4” springs, front and rear

18. KYB Gas-a-just shocks

19. Completely new exhaust system

20. ScanGauge II

And much more I’m sure I’ve forgotten.

The fun stuff:

1. Snorkel

2. Spartan lunch box locker in the rear

3. 33” mud tires, including spare.

4. Aluminum roof rack. Custom built, pretty much a bowfin cruisers copy. Has a shovel mount and Maxxtrax mount

5. Runva winch

6. Raptor liner on exterior. I did this because the paint was oxidized on the entire roof and hood. There were two rust spots above the windshield (pretty common on these trucks, and I fixed it properly), but nothing anywhere else. I removed all the fender flares and running boards, but I still have them if someone wanted to put them back on.

This truck runs like a top and will go just about anywhere. The build was done right, and will serve someone for many years to come.

Will you offer your .02 on if $10,500 is appropriate ( good, bad, great, stupid). This is a plane flight and a 12 hour drive back to my home here in CO. All insights and insults appreciated. Also if this is a good deal - don't snag it from me!😉

I have requested pictures of the underside as well. Haven't seen them yet.
Cheers, I look forward to walking these forums halls with you again in the near future. :beer::beer:

00C0C_jnqi97Cl1ol_1200x900.jpg

00C0C_kqXQruY6UxL_1200x900.jpg

00n0n_c4JFvCjkzdW_1200x900.jpg

00Q0Q_2rVcj1OGOEk_1200x900.jpg

00T0T_kG63OCKTx6V_1200x900.jpg

Need more pics. Confused about his response on the headgasket. I gather it’s OEM? Weirdly stated. Only reason I ask it’s key on these trucks. Does seller have receipt of head rebuild? Does not state he put new valve guides or stem seals. I would confirm. Seller says complete engine rebuild. Was the block bored/honed/new pistons/bearings? Mixed messaging here. References head rebuild after full engine rebuild. It’s not the same as a full engine rebuild. What was really done on the engine? Reputable shop?

Need more pics. Confused about his response on the headgasket. I gather it’s OEM? Weirdly stated. Only reason I ask it’s key on these trucks. Does seller have receipt of head rebuild? Does not state he put new valve guides or stem seals. I would confirm. Seller says complete engine rebuild. Was the block bored/honed/new pistons/bearings? Mixed messaging here. References head rebuild after full engine rebuild. It’s not the same as a full engine rebuild. What was really done on the engine? Reputable shop?
Thanks for the quick reply! I have asked for further clarification on what was really done to the engine. I also asked about a receipt of head rebuild and if the engine work was done by a reputable shop. Stay tuned.

High mileage, yes, but it seems most areas have been addressed. Birfields and axles will need attention if not already addressed, though the pictures look pretty clean. You may want to move up in tire size for Rockies, regear and throw in some RVC or Longfield axles. How is the transmission and transfer case? With all those upgrades, $10,500 seems appropriate.

X2 on engine, by the pics also seems that he did birfields, where are the 3rd row seats? Transmission would be my next concern, you could wait on the regearing while you get used to it...it looks very clean...pics of the outside?

A few items of odd wording but doesn’t seem seller is trying to mislead. Had same question about head gasket “kit” but reading again seems he ordered a kit with all OEM parts except HG and he replaced that with Toyota gasket. So I’d inquire who he got that “kit” from and compare. Also ask if he has pics of windshield rust repair. Not that Common of an issue on 80s. More hundred series problem when not properly installed. Sounds good and price seems right for mileage with the work listed. OME doesn’t sell a 3/4” lift spring but sells stock height that nets 3/4-1” lift over tired old stock springs. Probably his angle. All new bushings in front end? Guessing he means 6 bushings in front control arms. Perhaps added bonus of panhard bushings.

Not sure I agree with kings mtn on upsize of tires and RCV axle still you explain your intended use. Plenty of folks getting by just fine on stock axles with 35s and beyond. 35s are nice but would likely warrant a lift (2.5”). The altitude and grades you have would likely warrant regear if NA and going to 35/7” tires.
All in all if honest representation seems like fair deal.

Trust but verify :)

Welcome... best option on a 80 is Cruiser Control...

I had the chance to speak with the seller and I don't think he its trying to lead me astray. Here are photos of the engine rebuild. It was completed by a friend of his who is "a solid mechanic" as a "I owe you one" so there is no receipts. Rebuild kit was out of LC performance I believe. Still a small oil leak at main rear seal even after seal was replaced but not a quart/3k mi. Transmission has not been addressed. He says it still shifts well but that is what is likely needed next.

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0902.JPG

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0904.JPG

IMG_0936.JPG

a few more engine pics of rebuild

IMG_0937.JPG

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0968.JPG

IMG_1016.JPG

IMG_1018.JPG

And some of the exteriors as well.

00w0w_6PNoTdT8vO4_1200x900.jpg

01212_iIhKArxHu75_1200x900.jpg

00d0d_g8k5RjAIRwx_1200x900.jpg

00g0g_gdSAsNkQsNm_1200x900.jpg

00i0i_lu68MZmEFyL_1200x900.jpg

Yeah, prolly get it. If you like the color scheme and type.

Transmission shifting could be cable adjustment too.

IH8 monstaliner...I'd rather spend 3-5K more on something much cleaner.

IH8 monstaliner...I'd rather spend 3-5K more on something much cleaner.
It bothers me too. I like the advice from GW Nugget on "Cruiser Control" ... its always good to put the Cruiser fever in check.

Me personally, I'd pass for a few reasons

The engine rebuild is nice, but the "rebuilt by a friend" always worries me a little, and no receipts, machine shop info, and it's still leaking? It's true there are tons of people who can rebuild engine, but you run the possibility of it not being rebuilt correctly for the long haul, even using OEM parts. It looks good in the pictures, but that doesn't tell the whole story.

The tranny shifting, COULD be a cable adjust, or it could be something worse. The tranny's are tough, so weirdness there ticks a red flag for me.

The exterior, no thanks at all. A pain to deal with if you ever need bodywork or repair. Prep is key here, if done wrong it could peel or any sorts of issues. That said I would only use that on under fenders or pickup beds.

On the flip side, you could be getting an 80 thats ready to go for the long run if you like the paint. Depends on your risk aversion.

Me, I'd pass and hold out for a better one. I just rebuilt the diesel engine on BJ74, had machine do work grinding, bore, sleeves etc, I did assembly/tear down and everything else. I have pictures, receipts, specs and everything I did so that for some unknown reason I sell or trade, it's all documented and no guessing. No rebuild is 100% guaranteed to run forever, but some do have warranties or some info from where it's rebuilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom