Possibly tapping out from my 72 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this, but wanted to run this by the FJ40 folks. For multiple personal reasons I likely have to tap out of my FJ40 and try to sell what I can; I spent the last few (many) years working on it, very slowly but did not get very far. I've not been able to work on it for about 2yrs now and I don't foresee being able to get this thing drivable anytime in the near future. I've not been involved with this site or anything related in a couple of years so i'm out of touch with the current FJ40 market etc. (note, i'm in north FL if that makes any difference). I know its impossible to estimate what any of this is worth to sell without pictures; I will get some but right now everything but the chassis is in storage. I guess my question is if i'm better off trying to sell this thing as a package, or part it out (its currently totally disassembled) or maybe it doesn't make any difference? Besides listing my items here and on Craigslist does anyone have any other advice to try to get this moved? How is the current FJ40 market are things moving or is it slow?

Its a 1972 FJ40, no hard top. Frame was sandblasted and powder coated. 1985 mini truck disk brake conversion for the front axle. I also have an L31 vortec 350 and SM465 mated to my original 3speed TC. I don't know if the motor runs, I got it at an estate sale and had no info on it; I was just using it to trial fit things. The motor/tranny were temporarily mounted in the frame when I moved houses and they've been sitting there for 2 years! Other than that its all stock 72 FJ40 - the fenders/hood have surface rust but no rot or at least didn't when they went to storage. The tub has rot in the usual locations - rear sill, floors, etc. I have everything i removed from it in many many boxes in my garage and shed. Also have a lot of parts for the motor that I gathered over the years (most likely not the best or right stuff in all cases, it was all done piece meal as I came across things)....clutch, carb, etc. None of this is installed.

Again just wanted to see if any advice on the best way to move this along, how the demand is for FJ40 parts at the moment...I have no idea on prices or what to ask for any of this. Sorry for the rambling post without a lot of direct questions but this is something I've been dreading for months now and this is my first step to actually doing something about it if that makes sense. I'm currently feeling with the state of the vehicle (in parts, spread across various storage areas) I may be best off just trying to sell it piece by piece?

Hi All,

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this, but wanted to run this by the FJ40 folks. For multiple personal reasons I likely have to tap out of my FJ40 and try to sell what I can; I spent the last few (many) years working on it, very slowly but did not get very far. I've not been able to work on it for about 2yrs now and I don't foresee being able to get this thing drivable anytime in the near future. I've not been involved with this site or anything related in a couple of years so i'm out of touch with the current FJ40 market etc. (note, i'm in north FL if that makes any difference). I know its impossible to estimate what any of this is worth to sell without pictures; I will get some but right now everything but the chassis is in storage. I guess my question is if i'm better off trying to sell this thing as a package, or part it out (its currently totally disassembled) or maybe it doesn't make any difference? Besides listing my items here and on Craigslist does anyone have any other advice to try to get this moved? How is the current FJ40 market are things moving or is it slow?

Its a 1972 FJ40, no hard top. Frame was sandblasted and powder coated. 1985 mini truck disk brake conversion for the front axle. I also have an L31 vortec 350 and SM465 mated to my original 3speed TC. I don't know if the motor runs, I got it at an estate sale and had no info on it; I was just using it to trial fit things. The motor/tranny were temporarily mounted in the frame when I moved houses and they've been sitting there for 2 years! Other than that its all stock 72 FJ40 - the fenders/hood have surface rust but no rot or at least didn't when they went to storage. The tub has rot in the usual locations - rear sill, floors, etc. I have everything i removed from it in many many boxes in my garage and shed. Also have a lot of parts for the motor that I gathered over the years (most likely not the best or right stuff in all cases, it was all done piece meal as I came across things)....clutch, carb, etc. None of this is installed.

Again just wanted to see if any advice on the best way to move this along, how the demand is for FJ40 parts at the moment...I have no idea on prices or what to ask for any of this. Sorry for the rambling post without a lot of direct questions but this is something I've been dreading for months now and this is my first step to actually doing something about it if that makes sense. I'm currently feeling with the state of the vehicle (in parts, spread across various storage areas) I may be best off just trying to sell it piece by piece?

I’m sorry that you won’t be able to finish. I am interested in the ‘72 sheet metal and tub. If you don’t mind sending pics to me in a PM.

So sorry to hear this. Pics will help with pricing as a complete "project" otherwise parting it out is a long, drawn-out process, but you may get a bit more money in the end...

So sorry to hear this. Pics will help with pricing as a complete "project" otherwise parting it out is a long, drawn-out process, but you may get a bit more money in the end...
I think this is correct. You may well get more money by parting it out but it will be A LOT of legwork. If it were me I'd try to sell it all together and take what I could get just to avoid the headache of 100 individual sales, shipping, emails, scammers, etc. But thats just me.

If you have photo's showing it was in decent shape, I bet you could sell it quick (minus the hard top) for $1500 to $2500ish. Price would need to take into account parts may be missing and the sbc might be shot. Perhaps you could squeek out a bit more profit spending hundreds of hours posting parts for sale, responding to parts requests, boxing and shipping. I say price it right, all or nothing and @Jdc1 can come get another project:idea:

Thanks all for the advice. I have some thinking to do! It would be nice to do it all at once like pulling off a band aid haha. I'm going to have to try to get some pictures of everything I have and see what a fair price would be....thanks again, it will be a few days before I can get pictures from the stuff in storage but once I do I will post them.

So sorry to hear that you are possibly tapping out. My son and I are also restoring a '72 FJ40 and would be interested in dash knobs if they are in decent shape. Do you have the hazard switch and wiper switch? If so, can you send photos?

Hi All,

I grabbed some pictures of the major pieces here. After thinking a lot about it, I'd be willing to part with all of this together or the chassis / sheet metal separately if that works. I just wanted to get an idea what a fair price to ask for this stuff would be, perhaps a ball park for the whole package here and then a ball park for the chassis / sheet metal separately? I'm not looking to make money off this but don't want to give it away either but really am not sure what is fair.

72 fj40

As far as the little bits and pieces (such as the knobs requested above) I don't mind selling those off over time as I unpack and find them! Just wanted to get an idea on the major parts here. Any help or suggestions are appreciated as far as fair pricing etc.

Sorry I meant to say as well if more pics/info needed for this please let me know. I had all the sheet metal stored away and most of it looks ok but the tub is very bad, aside from the firewall area. I don't know enough about body work to say how bad but to my eyes it looks bad! The chassis was sandblasted/powder coated, has a HFS suspension, 85 mini truck disk brake conversion, and as far as i can see is solid. Motor is an L31 Vortec with SM465 mated to the original 3speed TC. Hope this helps and thanks again for any help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom