1978 FJ40 Radio Wiring (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stexag

SILVER Star
Threads
I am trying to find power issue with factory installed radio circuit. My 40 has a console mounted radio, but I'm trying to get as much back original as possible and trying to diagnose the factory radio. For starters, the circuit doesn't seem to have power.

My understanding is that the radio power comes from the wiper circuit fuse (ignition on). That's a 20amp fuse. The wiring diagram that I bought for my year model shows a 5amp fuse should be on that circuit. My wiring does not appear to be butchered, yet I can't seem to find this 5 amp fuse... am I missing something?

For reference, the wire coming out of the radio is light blue with red tracer and goes to a plastic connector, then into the main cab harness (accessible through ash tray cutout) - I don't see anywhere it's been cut or damaged that would make me think the circuit is broken on the terminal end.... I think I'm not getting power to the circuit.

Where is the best place to check for provided power on the other end of that circuit? Thank you.

Show a photo of your OEM console-mounted radio. Are you talking dash-mounted radio?

Show a photo of your OEM console-mounted radio. Are you talking dash-mounted radio?
I’m sorry, my wording was misleading. My truck has both - aftermarket radio in console AND a factory radio in the dash. The factory radio currently has no power. I am trying to get the factory radio back working or at least wire the console radio into that circuit where it should be (it’s currently wired into the light circuit and I don’t like that).

You're correct that the power to the radio is the LR wire. It isn't fed from the wiper circuit, though. It has it's own circuit in a 78 and should be fed by a 5A fuse (bottom fuse in the fuse block).

It has it's own circuit in a 78 and should be fed by a 5A fuse (bottom fuse in the fuse block).
Thank you so much. Now that I knew exactly what I was looking for on the fuse block end, I pulled it off and worked the connector on the backside a little... and boom; power. Not only that, I discovered the factory radio that's been riding around in the dash all this time works quite well - a pleasant surprise. Thank you for the direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom