60 owner looking to buy a 100 series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I love my 60 but it is coming of age and more of a hobby vehicle than a practical DD. I've been looking for a 4x4 platform that I can travel across country, hit the trails, overland etc. The 100 series checks all the boxes but they are far and few between even out here for a descent price. I've now found a few offerings that are in my price range. 1999, 2004 and 2006 all with 200,000 plus miles but clean car fax, mall crawlers. I cant decide between the 99 which has locking rear diffs less miles and splitting leather front seats or the 04 with A-Trac, more modern gadgets and like new interior for a couple of thousand more $. Is the rear locker worth overlooking the newer tech and some interior ware?

I love my 60 but it is coming of age and more of a hobby vehicle than a practical DD. I've been looking for a 4x4 platform that I can travel across country, hit the trails, overland etc. The 100 series checks all the boxes but they are far and few between even out here for a descent price. I've now found a few offerings that are in my price range. 1999, 2004 and 2006 all with 200,000 plus miles but clean car fax, mall crawlers. I cant decide between the 99 which has locking rear diffs less miles and splitting leather front seats or the 04 with A-Trac, more modern gadgets and like new interior for a couple of thousand more $. Is the rear locker worth overlooking the newer tech and some interior ware?
Get the 04. It has more than just modern gadgets, including a 5 spd transmission and 4-pinion front diff that are superior over the 99’s 4spd transmission and 2-pinion front diff. There are other notable upgrades as well. You can add a diff lock anytime for relatively cheap.

I bought a 2005 mall crawling LX 470 (btw, I recommend it - Lexus owners tend to take really good care of their trucks) that had almost 280k, but was mint inside and out. I test drove it over to the Lexus dealership and they gave it an enthusiastic thumbs up, so I bought it. No regrets. After several months driving it, I'm thinking the AHC could use a tune-up, and I have the well-known drivetrain thunk when starting forward, but it's proven very reliable on long rides and everywhere else I've taken it.

Get the 04. It has more than just modern gadgets, including a 5 spd transmission and 4-pinion front diff that are superior over the 99’s 4spd transmission and 2-pinion front diff. There are other notable upgrades as well. You can add a diff lock anytime for relatively cheap.
Also in 2006 the engine is upgraded to the VVT-i, more ponies.

Also in 2006 the engine is upgraded to the VVT-i, more ponies.
The 04 technically also has more hp than 99, without the vvti upgrade. I think only like 5 more, but it’s still an increase!

Fellow 60/100 owner here - I love my 2000 and it’s relative simplicity (mostly the non-nav dash and controls), but I would get the 04/06 if I was you. The 5 speed on the later models is a lot smoother on those long highway trips between home and trails. Marginally better mileage, too. As for the AHC, everything I’ve read here points to it being a robust system when properly maintained... so make that part of your criteria.

(Of course if you find a 99 that is absolutely cherry, then all bets are off. But you’ll be paying a premium on that.)

Try to keep the 60 if you can! When I’m flying solo and not on the job, my ‘85 is always my first choice.

Try to keep the 60 if you can! When I’m flying solo and not on the job, my ‘85 is always my first choice.

Sold my '85 years ago, and have regretted it ever since. Someday...

Another vote for 03+. If you really want the rear diff lock, it really isn't that difficult to add the factory parts in.

Another 60/100 owner. Sold my beloved 85 in November and purchased a 98 in December. Definitely miss her but the "modern" amenities of the 98 are great.
Have only been offroad with the 100 a couple of times and nothing crazy so no locker usage. Coming from the 4spd of the 60 to the 4spd of the 98 I have no issues puttering down the highway. Can hold 80mph without issue.

Main drawback of the 00+ were; Nav and AHC. AHC was kinda hit or miss but I wanted a decent sound system with modern headunit. The NAV units are a bitch and expensive to replace with the necessary componantry to be able to install a modern head unit, however there are bluetooth modules that you can use to add-in some Bluetooth functionality. Just something to be aware of, as those without NAV in the later years are kinda UNICORN vehicles.

I plan on keeping the 60. Just bought a one owner 2001 LX470 today, well maintained, with all service records with 194,000 miles. Interior and exterior like new. So here I am. I darn near pulled the trigger on a 04 Discovery II last week but once sober, came to my senses.

We have an ‘89 62 and a ‘98 100 that replaced our much newer Outback. Was a huge upgrade and it eats highway miles. I do wish it had 5-speed but the same is true for the 60 series and was for the outback too lol.

I see you chose an ‘01 but to those reading this in the future the lack of AHC, the ease of upgrading to an Apple CarPlay head unit, and the locker didn’t make me hesitate and think about holding out for a later truck when this example came up since it was great condition with maintenance history and at a good price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom