Has anyone successfully driven up from Central America to import? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Wouldn't that be epic?
I know there's a lot of hypothetical trips that people try to put together to fly down, purchase a vehicle, and drive it back. Most are thinking of an epic adventure and others for the chance of owning a sweet land cruiser or something not available in the US.

I'm actually really considering doing this... The big difference is: I live in Central America, have residency, have my truck in my name, and can legally take it out of the country and drive it to wherever. I'm sure I definitely would not be the first in this situation to do something like that.

Even doing my research there's still a lot of unknowns. I'm pretty sure I could make it to the border of Mexico/USA, but what happens after that? I've read that you have to advise beforehand that you plan on importing. So you pay the importation tax, the fees, but then what happens? Can I drive my vehicle with my CA tags in the US?

If anyone has done this before, please share from your experience. I know most would prefer sending it on a boat instead, but I would like to use it as a vacation/ sight seeing trip.

Has anyone ever imported one of these vehicle into New York? I'm also trying to research how complicated are the state's registration procedures.

Thanks!

Wouldn't that be epic?
I know there's a lot of hypothetical trips that people try to put together to fly down, purchase a vehicle, and drive it back. Most are thinking of an epic adventure and others for the chance of owning a sweet land cruiser or something not available in the US.

I'm actually really considering doing this... The big difference is: I live in Central America, have residency, have my truck in my name, and can legally take it out of the country and drive it to wherever. I'm sure I definitely would not be the first in this situation to do something like that.

Even doing my research there's still a lot of unknowns. I'm pretty sure I could make it to the border of Mexico/USA, but what happens after that? I've read that you have to advise beforehand that you plan on importing. So you pay the importation tax, the fees, but then what happens? Can I drive my vehicle with my CA tags in the US?

If anyone has done this before, please share from your experience. I know most would prefer sending it on a boat instead, but I would like to use it as a vacation/ sight seeing trip.

Has anyone ever imported one of these vehicle into New York? I'm also trying to research how complicated are the state's registration procedures.

Thanks!
Hey men. I have actually done this. Hahaha. Brought my land cruiser from colombia all the way to the US. LITERALLY just got my US plates today for the car. I’m also a legal resident in the US. green card.

it’s a very long and painful stressful thing to do.
First and for most your car has to be at least 25 years old. If it’s not it’s imposible.

give me info on your car and I can help

Hey men. I have actually done this. Hahaha. Brought my land cruiser from colombia all the way to the US. LITERALLY just got my US plates today for the car. I’m also a legal resident in the US. green card.

First and for most your car has to be at least 25 years old. If it’s not it’s imposible.

The truck is a ‘94 and the motor is the original, so for that part the truck is good to go.

How difficult was it to cross the US border and get to your home state?

How didi you cross the darien forest? Did you ship the car in a container?

The truck is a ‘94 and the motor is the original, so for that part the truck is good to go.

How difficult was it to cross the US border and get to your home state?

ok.

to give you my opinion. Unless you have to keep the truck(I’m guessing it’s an 80 series) becauseit has sentimental value or something I would just buy one in the US.

OTher than that send me DM and I can walk you thru the process over a call and a beer. Is very very long.

How didi you cross the darien forest? Did you ship the car in a container?
Can’t cross the Darien as in sure you have seen online. There have been people that ya e done it etc. but it has all been sponsor expeditions and stuff. So he’s. Container like the other 99% of people doing the America’s.

ok.

to give you my opinion. Unless you have to keep the truck(I’m guessing it’s an 80 series) becauseit has sentimental value or something I would just buy one in the US.

OTher than that send me DM and I can walk you thru the process over a call and a beer. Is very very long.

Ok, I'll shoot you a DM.
This is the truck in question: 94 LJ79

LJ79 side.jpg

I just did the drive in an 80 series. It was fun but i kept the driving to as much daylight. Borders were simple, except the u.s st the.moment for me.
Since i have a passport for el salvador. I registered the vehicle in my name to be safe but speaking Spanish at tbe Borders help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom