Second Fuel Filter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I found what appears to be a second fuel filter on a line near the filler. It's smaller than the filter near the engine, and it's made of plastic. It's in that mess of tubes covered by the grey panel behind the passenger seat. It looks stock because it has those funky OEM hose clamps on it. Is this another fuel filter, or is it some kind of check valve? I could blow air through both ends of it, but it took a lot of pressure. It's on my '77 FJ40. I apologize for not taking any pics of it.

It's a pressure check valve to kep some vapor pressure in the tank. Generally speaking, it's a good thing for off-road use, helps keep excessive liquid & vapor from filling the carcoal canister.

Does any one know where to buy this pressure check valve ? Mine is right next to the metal fuel filter ... it’s a clear yellow / filter inside looking deal

Here’s a picture
59979194-40C2-40D9-AA4F-2B91AB527797.jpeg

Okay, the silver metal can with the wire attached is the oil pressure sending unit.

That yellow filter is a fuel filter, not a check valve.

The check valve referred to above is typically located just below the fuel filler pipe, though I'm not certain on the location for your year.

Got it - I’m getting ready to have a new Carburetor put in , so I am guessing I should put a new fuel filter on as well for good measure ? Do you think the filter is a generic or needs to be ordered from one of the specialty dealers online ?

ps - just upgrades to Silver Star
Good Move!

You should strongly consider replacing the filter, and all the flexible hoses between the tank and the carburetor, unless you know they've been replaced recently. The filter you have looks like a standard 5/16" size.

Ethanol in gasoline is not good for the flexible hoses.

Good Move!

You should strongly consider replacing the filter, and all the flexible hoses between the tank and the carburetor, unless you know they've been replaced recently. The filter you have looks like a standard 5/16" size.

Ethanol in gasoline is not good for the flexible hoses.
Definitely will do the filter - the hoses feel pretty good still, but I will try and do a better inspection

I've been using these inexpensive filters from O'Reilly's to filter out the sediment from my tank. They come packaged with two peices of flexible hose and 4 spring clamps. Under $4 each.
20200406_210452.jpg

20200601_162134.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom