Shaky Mirrors (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For as long as I’ve owned my 40 the side mirrors have always vibrated at any speed to the point that they are pretty much useless except for the bubble mirror the PO put on them. And this happens no matter if I mount them on the door or the windshield. Pretty much as soon as I start it up the engine just idling makes them vibrate and then gets worse as you drive. I’ve made sure they are tight. I’ve searched and haven’t seen anyone else post about this for 40’s at least. Is there any fix for this? Are my mirrors junk? Or is this just part of the charm of driving a 40 lol?
Thanks in advance!:beer:

Really need more information. Your avatar shows aftermarket mirrors attached to the windshield. Stock mirrors was different over the years. I won't be any help for aftermarket since I only run stock mirror on my FJ40s of multiple years.

Really need more information. Your avatar shows aftermarket mirrors attached to the windshield. Stock mirrors was different over the years. I won't be any help for aftermarket since I only run stock mirror on my FJ40s of multiple years.
This isn’t an ideal picture but you can see how I have them mounted currently. I realize that these aren’t the original mirrors since my ‘69 would’ve had round mirrors. That’s why I also asked if my mirrors are just crap?
8D1BB9BB-F530-40FE-B5F1-538E31E02F8F.png

It seems like these are probably mirrors from Spector Off Road but they don’t seem any different from OEM besides the shape and the bolt pattern for mounting to the windshield.

My inside rear-view mirror vibrates, but my outside ones don't. I have a late 40 with mirrors that mount on the door. Even when I take the doors off and run mirrors that bolt onto the windshield hinges, they don't vibrate bad enough that I can't use them.

I mocked up rubber gaskets to place between the mirror attachment and the body and it helped considerably.

My inside rear-view mirror vibrates, but my outside ones don't. I have a late 40 with mirrors that mount on the door. Even when I take the doors off and run mirrors that bolt onto the windshield hinges, they don't vibrate bad enough that I can't use them.
Interesting my rear view is solid. I’m starting to think I just need new mirror heads which I wanted to get anyways.

I mocked up rubber gaskets to place between the mirror attachment and the body and it helped considerably.
I was thinking of doing this although it seems like wind is the biggest problem. I’ll keep that in mind thanks! Do you recall what you used to make the gasket?

I doubt you are towing a trailer, but when I had mirrors like yours, and had to extend them out to tow my travel trailer, they vibrated like wild- - -total remedy was to run a bungie strap from mirror to bottom of door while I was towing- - -zero vibration.

If your looking for a oem look ... I picked these up cheap on Amazon ... They are SS ... I have issues with rust by me ... Soooo I had to go non-oem they are convex as well . I HIGHLY recommend convex :)

Love the convex mirrors ... helps with the dreaded blind spot... there is an oem convex... but... SS was a plus for me
7CC20AE7-2CE5-4D9E-BA40-C0A96561595F.jpeg
5115C665-E45A-45E2-A6D6-315310C5C365.jpeg
DF3249CE-6AA7-4E43-B8F9-17C659B9ADDA.jpeg

^^^^Yep, these convex mirrors are 1,000% what I used to tow my travel trailer.

Yeah I don’t have mine extend far at all and I’d like to not have bugle cords on mine haha. Do you have any issues with those vibrating or I’m assuming they are good?

Haha I don’t take mine past 65. Okay good to know thanks! I’ll try ordering a pair of those. I have the exact same arms as you.
A Landcruiser might be able to hit 65 mph towing a trailer (on flat land) if it has a V8.

I’ve never seen the hinge mount you’re using as I’ve only mounted to stock position on door panel or windshield frame (with the arm/mount you have) and never had vibration issues. Makes me wonder how loose your door hinge/pin is?

It’s personal preference, but I hate the convex mirror on my hard doors. Maybe my vision isn’t what it used to be, but it can’t see anything in those convex mirrors. I switched to rectangular flat mirrors. There is a light vibration, but without doors I just reach out and touch it if I need to see in more detail. My arms are homemade and I think they are much of the source of the vibration. I have been meaning to try a dampener in between the mounting points, but honestly it’s not that high on my list.

I’ve never seen the hinge mount you’re using as I’ve only mounted to stock position on door panel or windshield frame (with the arm/mount you have) and never had vibration issues. Makes me wonder how loose your door hinge/pin is?
Well even when I mount them to the windshield frame I get the same vibration. I ended up ordering the round mirror heads so we will see if that makes a difference. I’ll try to post up and let you guys know if that helped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom