Events/Trails UC Group Camp 2020 - 7/17-19 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Bryanseye

Inaffective Grammer Nazi
SILVER Star
Threads
Between pit of man's fears and summit of knowledge
Website
www.upstatecruisers.com
This email went out to all rostered club members at the end of May. Any member that did not get it should contact me to update contact information.

----------------------------------

Weather is warming up and you have been locked down too long, but don't worry, it will get hotter. In the cool shadow of Mount Mitchell is the Black Mountain/Briar Bottom camp ground. It must be reserved almost a year in advance to take advantage of the mountain streams and Blue Ridge breezes. So, we did that. After last year's great time, we did it twice! We have doubled the capacity (20 vehicles).

We have reserved two campsites and hope to have them split the following way. There may be some overflow and we will attempt to accommodate as best we can.

Family site: You are coming with kids. Group meals will be around this pavilion. The kids won't be bothered by late night campfire festivities during bed time, and won't bother the night owls in the morning until they are ready for their coffee.

Grown Ups site: No kids to wrangle. The club campfire will be here, and may include kids around until later in the evening.

Signups are limited to UC members only, 1 vehicle spot per, until we are two weeks out if we have any remaining slots. This email is the only notification for right now but a thread will be started later in June.

7/17-19: Briar Bottom Group Camp; Poplar and Laurel sites
$40/UC Member, $45/non-member for the weekend. Funds will cover the site, dinner Saturday night, and ancillary items for the group. PayPal as friend to info@upstatecruisers.com. No refunds* but if we fill up someone on the waitlist can buy your spot from you. That is between you and them, but you will need to let us know you have released it to them.

This will be a loose schedule. Do as little or as much as you want. Want to come alone and solo hike the extra 3000+ feet to Mt. Mitchell? Cool. Want to bring the family and play in the creek? Cool too. Nearby is also the Blue Ridge Parkway, The Flats Offroad Park, Linville Gorge, numerous hiking trails, and so on. Anyone familiar with the area is encouraged to use the thread to share activities or lead a group. Whatever you do during the day, we will meet back around the fire to tell about it.

Hope to see you there!

*COVID-19 Contingency - The campground is currently closed but slated to reopen June 15. You will be refunded your payment if the event is cancelled due to extended closures.
1590669754132.png

From the Forest Service:
  • This is a tent-only campground; no wheeled camping units or RVs permitted (they were okay with trailers in the site last year, but no guarantees)
  • Campground open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; notify campground of late arrivals by calling 828-675-5616
  • Campers must enter through Black Mountain Campground to reach this facility
  • Daily fees are for up to 50 people and 10 vehicles per site
  • No public address systems are allowed
  • This facility is located within a bear sanctuary; keep all food out of site in containers or locked inside a hard-sided vehicle, secure trash in provided bins and remove all food from area after eating
  • Don't Move Firewood: Help protect our forests! Prevent the spread of tree-killing pests by obtaining firewood at or near your destination and burning it on-site. Moving firewood is illegal in some states. Visit dontmovefirewood.org to learn more.
Directions
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-26 west to exit 9 onto 19 east toward Burnsville. Follow 19 to Micaville and turn right onto Highway 80. Continue south approximately 12-14 miles to Mount Mitchell Golf Course. Turn right on South Toe River Road and follow signs to Black Mountain Campground. Campers must enter through the main gate at Black Mountain Campground to get to Briar Bottom.

Last edited:
Am I not current in my dues?...If not, how embarrassing as the previous President....sign me up!

Put me on wait list.

Am I not current in my dues?...If not, how embarrassing as the previous President....sign me up!
You are current. If you didn't get the emails, check your spam folder, and then PM me if we need to verify email.

Put me on wait list.
🤔11 more slots before we start the wait list. And then you get to renew too (you could do that now of course). 😄

Apparently you guys don't have my (John Harris), Mud handle... Well, here I am.

I'm coming up from Irmo/Columbia, SC through Spartanburg. Anyone wanting to convoy in?

Apparently you guys don't have my (John Harris), Mud handle... Well, here I am.

I'm coming up from Irmo/Columbia, SC through Spartanburg. Anyone wanting to convoy in?
I sent an email to the paypal address asking but never heard back. Can update.

I'm in Spartanburg, so could rally with you there. We can work out more details when we get closer. Was thinking of having the group as a whole that want to meet somewhere and ride up together.

It's alright. Sometimes emails get "lost in the sauce" as far as my inbox goes. You guys probably don't have my physical address either since I was in the middle of a move when I joined. I'll have to get with you and update that.

It's alright. Sometimes emails get "lost in the sauce" as far as my inbox goes. You guys probably don't have my physical address either since I was in the middle of a move when I joined. I'll have to get with you and update that.
I wonder where I sent your sticker. :doh:

Shoot me a PM, or email the club address info@upstatecruisers.com, when you get a chance.

Directions
From Asheville, North Carolina, take I-26 west to exit 9 onto 19 east toward Burnsville. Follow 19 to Micaville and turn right onto Highway 80. Continue south approximately 12-14 miles to Mount Mitchell Golf Course. Turn right on South Toe River Road and follow signs to Black Mountain Campground. Campers must enter through the main gate at Black Mountain Campground to get to Briar Bottom.
Google maps wants me to take 40 east out of Asheville and then north on 70 to 80 to S. Toe River Rd instead of looping all the way north around through Micaville. Is there something wrong with the more direct route that I don't know about?

Google maps wants me to take 40 east out of Asheville and then north on 70 to 80 to S. Toe River Rd instead of looping all the way north around through Micaville. Is there something wrong with the more direct route that I don't know about?
Google estimates the posted route as 1hr 12 minutes, and your I40 to 80 as 1hr 14 minutes from city center. I have taken 80 up and see no reason not to. Flip a coin.

I prefer turning off 70 at Curtis Creek Road anyway and taking that north instead as it is more scenic and dirt. Really, taking the BRP is the nicest drive anyway, but you will still need to go all the way to 80 to get in. Google shows a left turn off the BRP at S. Toe River Rd (FSR 472) that is gated due to a 2017 landslide.

1593117797138.png

Thanks, Bryan. I know the BRP would be THE scenic route, but we're trying to get there before dark too :cool:
Good to know about that closure to avoid the temptation. Looks like Curtis Crk Rd adds another 20-25 minutes for us :hmm:

Now open to non-members to fill remaining slots.

I spoke with the campground and confirmed that they are open for us. Ready to get up there and start a fire (with dry wood this year!). Anyone plan to catch us some trout for dinner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom