Did I just damage my motor? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I am new here but I am on my second FJ60m which I just bought. I was driving last night in the heavy rain and hit a deep puddle at the same time a big truck hit that puddle going the other way. The whole front of my truck was hit with a lot of water and the engine about 20 yards later. I couldn't get it to restart, it just cranked and cranked. Finally, after letting it rest for 30 minutes, it started right up, but there is now a knock that sounds like it is coming from underneath me (but might be engine noise going through the exhaust). Is it possible that I vaporlocked and damaged the motor?

Please help!!

A little more background, the truck is pretty tall with 35" wheels and a SOA and stock intake. This was just a very tall splash. Is it possible that that is enough to damage the motor?

Check all the wires going into the distributor and the coil wires.

It's possible that the water shorted the ignition and you are still running on 5 cylinders... hence the knock.

May not be the issue, but at least worth a try.

If you have the air cleaner stock, with the Hot Air Intake valve functioning, the HAI valve is always partially open while the engine is running, especially on cool rainy days.

When the HAI is open, the engine is sucking air in from 2 places, and the HAI acts as a higher drain for any water.

Of course if you go deep enough for long enough the engine will suck in water, but I've "dived" my FJ60 through a very deep washed out gully at 50 mph and the splash went over the entire car.
Engine continued to run fine.

It seems unlikely to me that diving into a puddle, even a deep one, would let the engine suck in enough water to flood a cylinder.

Also, the truck splash was mostly from the side or top. It would be very difficult for that splash to make it into the intake.

Last edited:
That happened to my FJ62. I know there are significant differences to engine layout between a 60 and 62. After it sat for about an hour or so it was difficult to start but it did and I limped home, about 1.5 miles. I couldn't go over 20 mph and every time I stopped or accelerated it would almost die.
The issue with mine was that the distributor was not watertight. The hose on top that goes into the cab (meant to keep moisture fro building up in the distributor) was not attached. So it was pretty wet inside. I dried it out and it fixed the issue but, I ended up buying a new distributer soon after because it was really corroded and that incident was the "straw that broke the camel's back".
I wasn't the one driving the truck at the time and when I got to the truck the water had mostly drained off the road so I don't know how high the water was. Or how big the splash was.

Likely you have water in the dist cap. Also you could have old plug wires too that can add to this issue. I had something similar when my truck was stock....except was as dumb and running through a rainstorm and the engine simply cut off......started about 45min later.

Got home...swapped dist cap and plug wires....never had the issue again.

Just to update - y'all were right on point. The distributor cap contact point from the rotor to the coil twisted off completely. I cannot fathom how I was able to start it at all to drive it home. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor and its running like a sewing machine.

Thanks for the help - now I am off for the next puddle.

So are you saying that that little graphite, spring loaded contact pin inside the distributor cap, that makes contact with the top of the rotor, busted off after you drove through the puddle???

So are you saying that that little graphite, spring loaded contact pin inside the distributor cap, that makes contact with the top of the rotor, busted off after you drove through the puddle???

Yes and I understand your confusion. I can only guess as to whether it was mere coincidence -- or whether water intrusion into the cap caused the split. I too was shocked to see that. In other strange news - when I got the engine back running, the cat began to rattle like a baby's toy. Maybe it was a harder hit than I thought.

My truck came with a rubber cover that snaps in place over the entire distributor and keeps water from getting near the dist cap and wires. A worthwhile upgrade for any people driving on wet conditions.

I routinely ran through deep puddles when I was dumb and new to the truck for fun. Never had an issue with the motor and water.

Don't go through freezing water puddles at high speeds. I warped my exhaust manifold and had to replace the gasket. Hot exhaust doesn't like cold water contact en mass.

Just like a light bulb, don't spray it with water...

My truck came with a rubber cover that snaps in place over the entire distributor and keeps water from getting near the dist cap and wires. A worthwhile upgrade for any people driving on wet conditions.

I routinely ran through deep puddles when I was dumb and new to the truck for fun. Never had an issue with the motor and water.

Don't go through freezing water puddles at high speeds. I warped my exhaust manifold and had to replace the gasket. Hot exhaust doesn't like cold water contact en mass.

Just like a light bulb, don't spray it with water...
Do you know where I can find such a cover? I have a 1990 FJ62. The other day, we had a big thunderstorm in Baton Rouge. A street I drive regularly was flooded for about 30 feet with 6-8 inches of water. The splash was so big at 5-10mph that water flew everywhere. My engine stopped but I had enough forward momentum to safely get off the road. The engine didn’t successfully start and let me drive away until about 15 minutes later (I’m assuming because the water was able to drain out of the bottom of the distributor cap and prevent the short that was previously preventing a start from the crank). This is bothersome because I’m an off-road enthusiast who will more than likely be going through mud holes in the middle of nowhere. I can’t afford for my Cruiser to kill over in the middle of BFE. I’m prepared to replace the spark plug, the wires, the cap and the ignition rotor if need be but what can I do to prevent this from ever happening again?

Do you know where I can find such a cover? I have a 1990 FJ62. The other day, we had a big thunderstorm in Baton Rouge. A street I drive regularly was flooded for about 30 feet with 6-8 inches of water. The splash was so big at 5-10mph that water flew everywhere. My engine stopped but I had enough forward momentum to safely get off the road. The engine didn’t successfully start and let me drive away until about 15 minutes later (I’m assuming because the water was able to drain out of the bottom of the distributor cap and prevent the short that was previously preventing a start from the crank). This is bothersome because I’m an off-road enthusiast who will more than likely be going through mud holes in the middle of nowhere. I can’t afford for my Cruiser to kill over in the middle of BFE. I’m prepared to replace the spark plug, the wires, the cap and the ignition rotor if need be but what can I do to prevent this from ever happening again?
I do believe those covers are NLA but maybe one could be had in the classifieds. If you have a fresh cap/rotor/wires on the truck you will be fine. 6-8" of water is no big deal if the system is healthy. IME the wires are the culprit. When they get old they are no longer waterproof. A quick fix is to have wd40 with you and spray the wires after they get wet. It will fire right up and run like new since the wd40 displaces moisture.

IIRC @ToyotaMatt had a few good used covers. If not, I may have a spare I can sell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom