New steering wheel installed LX470 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Would you want to sell your old one?

Let me see if the new one will fit and is the right color after I report back. The old one is a rag that I was very embarrassed about. Careful what you wish for..

I'm actually puzzled about the original leather coming apart before I bought it.. I think some leathers react differently over times.

Looks like you bought the Non-V2 wheel. We should compare them when they arrive.

Yep.. I've been patiently awaiting for a Phase I style wheel to come available from that seller. I was in correspondence with them as soon as they sold the first batch. IIRC he says there is a company in Taiwan that actively produces these wheels. Its good that we have some aftermarket alternatives.

Guys, are you sure those wheels have real leather? I bought about 6 cores, going to refinish/recover them and put on sale eventually. Price going to be the same as that wheel from Taiwan but it will be original wheel/color and leather colors will be brownish (for 08-02) and "grayish) for 03+

Guys, are you sure those wheels have real leather? I bought about 6 cores, going to refinish/recover them and put on sale eventually. Price going to be the same as that wheel from Taiwan but it will be original wheel/color and leather colors will be brownish (for 08-02) and "grayish) for 03+

No idea. If I don't like it, I will return it. Once I do get the wheel straightened out, I may get a neoprene wheel cover to protect it.. The ABS plastic cover has some wear on each corner where the previous owner rested their hands. I may need to get some plastic paint to refinish that to match wheel covering. I'm more concerned about how well the wood part of the wheel will hold up to sunlight. Will it melt or start to disintegrate after exposure to UV rays? Time will tell.

just kidding..

1590862822069.png

Yep.. I've been patiently awaiting for a Phase I style wheel to come available from that seller. I was in correspondence with them as soon as they sold the first batch. IIRC he says there is a company in Taiwan that actively produces these wheels. Its good that we have some aftermarket alternatives.
Is there a difference between the V2 and the other?
The photos like identical

When will they be ready? Any picks of past wheels?

Phil, see post in my sig. probably 1-2 pages back I posted process of different wheels

I am finishing rear row upholstery and will start wheels after that. Let me know which year, all leather or wood and when you need it
@katit i just read your 10 page posts. Wow! You do some great work.

The new steering wheel arrived today. Ordered on Saturday, delivered on Thursday. It blends ok and will look better than the old wheel.

1591311051983.png

Comes very well packaged with extra protection for the wood part.

1591311141652.png

1591311223203.png

1591311272909.png

Color is enough to the air bag cover shade for a 21 yo off-road truck.

1591311347126.png

The new steering wheel arrived today. Ordered on Saturday, delivered on Thursday. It blends ok and will look better than the old wheel.

View attachment 2329730

Comes very well packaged with extra protection for the wood part.

View attachment 2329731

View attachment 2329740

View attachment 2329744

Color is enough to the air bag cover shade for a 21 yo off-road truck.

View attachment 2329751
Nice. Mine comes in tomorrow. I may have to send it back if it’s different than yours.

I like the fact that it does not use perforated leather. I have bad luck with any type of perforated leather.

Don't pull. Just hit it with your palm at 9 and 3 o'clock repeatedly..
Before removing - set it dead center (I orient it by aligning rear cover)
Then install new one same way.

I replaced wheel at least 5 times and it's still dead center. Takes 5 minutes to replace wheel.
1. Pop covers with plastic pry tool.
2. Remove 2 Torx bolts and airbag comes off (2 connectors)
3. One 17mm?(or 19?) nut.
4. Shake and it will come off.

I just unpacked mine. Looks like the difference between the V2 is it has perforated leather. Which I like because it matches the original. Wood and color are the same as the others.
F281D1ED-1766-431A-B1ED-A64CFE9DCEE7.jpeg

207F2BD3-A735-42C5-9639-CBC7C8EFAB06.jpeg

0938AD47-9238-4786-96F1-155E4974612B.jpeg

Last edited:
For those interested, Dallas Custom Steering Wheel does excellent work. I have had several Porsche wheels redone by Donald Lee. Fast turnaround and great customer service. Emails finished pics to you before you pay. info@dallassteeringwheel.com or dallascustomsw@yahoo.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom