Builds Spyduh's LX450 Build (Motor Rebuild + Wits End Turbo Kit) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would love an upgrade option for existing owners!!!! This is how much I hate that f*****g flange. I really wish it was lipped like the bottom and WG connection points.

If you can design something with a new stepped flange. I can cut off the existing and weld that on myself!

Impossible without machining the turbo housing.

Impossible without machining the turbo housing.

How much we talking about here? Will I need to sell my kidney?
It's worth it for me to get a better clamping solution. I'll buy a new housing and dp if needed. Or I can ship you my DP and housing for machining to save cost?

How much we talking about here? Will I need to sell my kidney?
It's worth it for me to get a better clamping solution. I'll buy a new housing and dp if needed. Or I can ship you my DP and housing for machining to save cost?

Oh please no. At least not yet. Let me catch up with existing orders before I start going down this rabbit hole :(

This joint is a Marmon flange it is not a V-band joint. That is why it looks the way it does. It is a 4.21" joint used by Borg Warner for years before V-band flanges came out. The Marmon flange or wedged joint was invented by one of the Marx brothers in 1941. Borg Warner for whatever reason insists on using the Marmon flange on all of their Airwerks turbos because they say it seals better.

Now I am not going to say anything that hasn't already been said but you CAN NOT use a v-band to pull a joint together. You need to understand what you need to do to get the joint approximated before you tighten the clamp. And once you tighten the clamp if you over tighten it you ruin the seal. The clamp works on a simple wedging action. It does not get better the tighter you tighten it.

This joint is a Marmon flange it is not a V-band joint. That is why it looks the way it does. It is a 4.21" joint used by Borg Warner for years before V-band flanges came out. The Marmon flange or wedged joint was invented by one of the Marx brothers in 1941. Borg Warner for whatever reason insists on using the Marmon flange on all of their Airwerks turbos because they say it seals better.

Now I am not going to say anything that hasn't already been said but you CAN NOT use a v-band to pull a joint together. You need to understand what you need to do to get the joint approximated before you tighten the clamp. And once you tighten the clamp if you over tighten it you ruin the seal. The clamp works on a simple wedging action. It does not get better the tighter you tighten it.

I think that's the hard part. I definitely over tightened mine initially. Not sure it was enough to mess up the vband but definitely seemed too tight/like it wasnt sealing. That's why i lined mine up and just barely tightened it, then the wastegate, then lower vband last.
I don't see any evidence of leaks, or indications such as overboosting, but I should double check.

If you need a new top vband. This is where I bought mine. shipping was pretty reasonable too!
I ended up buying 3. It cost $74 shipped with tax. So $24.67 each.

Last edited:
Installed a new AC compressor last weekend. Vac down my AC and charged it.

20200509_115000.jpg

20200509_121743.jpg

20200509_121753.jpg

Can you guys buy R134 off the shelf?
You can at local auto store but need a AC license to purchase.
I have a buddy who is licensed. He came over with his tank for a quick fill. AC fills only take a couple minutes to charge. The time consuming part is the vac down. I invested in my own AC tools because it seems I always need to do AC on my cars or trucks. Ive used my vac compressor over 7 times already and it's paid for itself.

:censor:

Guess I'm headed down a similar path
Got the first long cruise and noticed the burnt insulation that wasn't there a week ago
View attachment 2309895
I've been thinking of making a custom heat shield that goes on top of that area to protect my hood from getting crispy. Maybe a thin sheet metal to deflect the heat down toward the engine bay.

Incredible build, your commitment is to be applauded!

Are you thinking of adding an intercooler at some point? And did you use 'colder' spark plugs? (I know here was some discussion a while ago about using MR2 Turbo plugs on turbo'd rigs)

^^^ plugs come with kit, I think they are MR2.

Can you guys buy R134 off the shelf?
I just did the ac on my DD and bought all components and 3 cans of 134a. No questions asked. No license required.

I just did the ac on my DD and bought all components and 3 cans of 134a. No questions asked. No license required.
Yea of you buy small cans no problem. But those small cans are stupid expensive. My buddy has the 5gallon sized tank (commercial size) those are $90 on sale sometimes but you can only buy those with an AC license. I think those tanks can do dozens of cars.

Incredible build, your commitment is to be applauded!

Are you thinking of adding an intercooler at some point? And did you use 'colder' spark plugs? (I know here was some discussion a while ago about using MR2 Turbo plugs on turbo'd rigs)
Yea mr2 turbo plugs come with Joey's kit.

Ive been thinking IC but i have no idea where I can put it. I'm think water meth kit next.

Build update. Ive been battling cooling issues as some of you have read in other turbo threads. It gets hot when. You going 80+.

I bought a @Photoman reduced (15%) fan pulley and installed it today. Had to install it twice because as soon as i started it up it was squealing like a banchee. I thought the belt was misaligned so I loosened and made sure it was in the channel and tighten the belt even more. Well that made it even louder when I started it.

Tore it apart again and found that the bottom water pump stud was just catching the inner pulley. I took a file and took it down 2-3 threads and put it all together. Fired it up and instantly noticed a difference in air flow on first start idle speeds.

Note: im using @Photoman Alternator bracket as well as his smaller alt pulley with 150amp sequoia alt.

I test drove it to my buddies house and it got hot. But not as hot as usual though. Seems to have reduced my temps down by 6-8 idle and 2-4 F degrees at 80mph. Depends if AC is on and I'm driving it like I stole it.

Here's my temp stats on this thread. There are 2 posts with numbers for Day temp stats (90F) and Night temp stats (65F).

20200627_112844.jpg

20200627_110841.jpg

20200627_104841.jpg

20200627_092510.jpg

20200627_092439.jpg

Last edited:
Build update. Ive been battling cooling issues as some of you have read in other turbo threads. It gets hot when. You going 80+.

I bought a @Photoman reduced (15%) fan pulley and installed it today. Had to install it twice because as soon as i started it up it was squealing like a banchee. I thought the belt was misaligned so I loosened and made sure it was in the channel and tighten the belt even more. Well that made it even louder when I started it.

Tore it apart again and found that the bottom water pump stud was just catching the inner pulley. I took a file and took it down 2-3 threads and put it all together. Fired it up and instantly noticed a difference in air flow on first start idle speeds.

Note: im using @Photoman Alternator bracket as well as his smaller alt pulley with 150amp sequoia alt.

I test drove it to my buddies house and it got hot. But not as hot as usual though. Seems to have reduced my temps down by 6-8 idle and 2-4 F degrees at 80mph. Depends if AC is on and I'm driving it like I stole it.

Here's my temp stats on this thread. There are 2 posts with numbers for Day temp stats (90F) and Night temp stats (65F).

View attachment 2354358

View attachment 2354359

View attachment 2354360

View attachment 2354361

View attachment 2354362
Drove her again on the freeway and this pulley works. I'll see what happens this weekend when I'm towing my half cut toyota pickup trailer.

Fan speed should not make a difference at 80mph. You already have 80mph of wind blowing on the radiator, so the fan won't be able to pull anymore air at those speeds. It could be a Coolant flow issue such as a clog or restriction or the radiator isn't big enough. If you have a bunch of accessories blocking the grill that might play a part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom