backlight of dash buttons out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone had backlights of buttons gone out? My rear AC button and one of the rear vent window switch backlight have gone out, wondering if it's hard to replace? Does the entire dashboard need to be removed? Are they individual LED or lights behind the buttons?

Deja vu ....

1591105039122.png

I think easiest way is to replace the entire switch, hope it is as simple as prying out the old one and plug in the replacement.

Reactions: GTV
Digging through the schematics Moridinbg sent, good stuff for future reference too.

I did not see a bulb for the rear AC button as circled below, maybe the backlight is part of the button?
I think the rear vent quarter window switch has the backlight built in. These are the two that went out on me for quite some time.
rear AC button.JPG
rearvent.JPG

I did not see a bulb for the rear AC button as circled below, maybe the backlight is part of the button?
I think the rear vent quarter window switch has the backlight built in. These are the two that went out on me for quite some time.
View attachment 2327754 View attachment 2327755

That looks like a 2003-2007 Land Cruiser, it is my understanding that those lights are soldered onto a PCB, but shouldn't be too difficult to replace, this thread is one that comes to mind:

The light on the vent window switch, is the white/grey circle on the picture below:

1591137681733.png

The white base bulbs are 90010-01039. Different switches use different base colour bulbs and some are incompatible (different diameter on the plastic part), so do not just buy a bunch of the white ones for everywhere, although they are the most common throughout the car.

I looked up that number but Toyota parts website says it is not the bulb. It's for Sequoia, Tundra and High Lander...
What about the rear AC button light?

Mine is a 2005 LC. Saw that thread, wow, a lot of work to just get to the rear AC bulb...

This bulb is shared across a ton of vehicles and is taken from the Land Cruiser schematics.

Edit: Ok, the vent switch bulb is 84999-10310, which is physically the same as 90010-01039, minus the removable green tinting cap.

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm ordering bulb 84999-10310, am I able to just pop the toggle switch off and replace the bulb or the entire switch as you have shown needs to be popped out to replace the bulb?

I found the above thread with the image below. I have the same exact scenario where the two buttons below (rear fan and right side mirror) both do not have back light. But the green and orange lights still work. Is it by design these two buttons don't have backlight or these two backlight bulbs tend to burn out first?

1591571133743.png

I was able to order the rear side vent window button bulb. But wanted to confirm the rear AC and side mirror defogger bulbs.
I found couple images below from few buried threads/links above. Does anyone know what type of bulbs/part number are the two green (button illumination/backlight) ones circled below? T4 or T5?
The panel below is probably from 2003 or earlier variant with the knob controls, but I think the four buttons are the same.

cruiser climate control-back.jpg
T4-T5bulbs.JPG

I found the above thread with the image below. I have the same exact scenario where the two buttons below (rear fan and right side mirror) both do not have back light. But the green and orange lights still work. Is it by design these two buttons don't have backlight or these two backlight bulbs tend to burn out first?

View attachment 2332704
Good evening. I have the exact same scenario with my 2001 LC. Did you ever solve the issue? Thx.

Rear vent switch on left side is an easy replacement. The rear AC button on center panel is a lot more involved having to remove the center stack faceplate and all so I didn't want to chance it and making it worse.

I removed mine yesterday. Put it back on for now, and I'm going to order some Eiko bulbs and attack it when they arrive. Not sure if it's T1 or T4 size though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom