Project WTF have I gotten myself into??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, like everybody else I've wanted an fj40 since I was about 6 years old when I rode in the back of one through a snowstorm in rural Quebec.

I could spend more and get a nicer one or I can spend less and do it myself. I thought I would spend less and do it myself. I love Wheeling but have to finish building the truck.

I picked this up with a bunch of surprises inside. After cleaning out the leaves, I'm questioning whether or not this is was a good idea? Well, we'll find out...

Any and all advice is welcome....

IMG_20200531_133421.jpg

IMG_20200531_121054.jpg

IMG_20200531_121031.jpg

IMG_20200531_121023.jpg

IMG_20200531_105012.jpg

Last edited:
What year is that? Looks like a late F engine...

f514542...does that mean a F1.5, the one with the better oiling system but before the 2f?

If so, then I'll see if I can get it running...if it was the original 1f, I wouldnt waste the time

IMG_20200531_160954.jpg

I don't recall engine numbers well, there's a chart around here somewhere that will tell you approximate dates though.
But that oil filter and the F155 sticker says 1.5F.

The frame is good, lots of surface rust, but nothing rotted out. I think I'll get it running so I don't have to push it in and out of the garage😉. It has the front end from a later model so has disc brakes. I'll need to work on the rears. Once it can go, stop and turn, I can start on the sheet metal...which is a bit intimidating, but I think I'll start with a few easier spots and work my way up to the bigger panels, like the rear floor.

I'm not a purest and want a truck to be a truck.

That serial # is 1973 according to Specter's chart. So yes F and a 1/2.
5EB81FAD-E83A-4864-808F-2D9717AA2344.png

Casting date is on the manifold side of the block. Usually toward the front on F blocks, but might be toward the rear on a later F service block.

Cylinder head casting date is on top of head, just outside valve cover.

Seems to be "Way Too Far" gone to spend less

f514542...does that mean a F1.5, the one with the better oiling system but before the 2f?

If so, then I'll see if I can get it running...if it was the original 1f, I wouldnt waste the time

View attachment 2325649
Some folk like those late F engines, with the improved oiling and smaller displacement, they claim they last longer...

Take tons and tons of pictures of everything from every possible angle. Then completely take it apart and bag/label every nut and bolt (even the ones you break).

Sandblast, fix rust, paint, rebuild all the systems, and put it back together! I almost forgot. Do not have a budget and put all the receipts in a shoe box and dont ever add them up. You got this.....

Do not have a budget and put all the receipts in a shoe box and dont ever add them up.

Yup, that has been my strategy, dont look at the money, too depressing:)

Well, I spent about an hour just sitting in the truck, getting a "feel" for what to do...I decided to start cleaning it up a bit and see if that gave me some inspiration. The fiberglass is totally separated from the sides, but the floor is actually better than it looks ...I poked and poked with a screwdriver...not too bad. I tried to get the motor to spin, but as I suspected, no luck so I'll be thinking about what to do there, 2F, 5.3, om617, 350...we'll see what I can find cheap.

For suspension, I'm thinking 4" sua...but we'll see if I catch the soa bug. I've got some 315's sitting out back on 16" lx450 wheels ...

Why does the fuel tank vent in two places in the passenger rear quarter panel? Seems excessive.

IMG_20200606_163028.jpg

IMG_20200606_155843_01.jpg

IMG_20200606_155838_01.jpg

IMG_20200606_155851_01.jpg

IMG_20200606_141649.jpg

Not bad at all. 👍 Good luck for the project.

What is this? Charcoal canister?

View attachment 2333250

As far as I know this is part of the emissions system and some kind of vapor recovery tank. Parted out the 71 I had that had one. Mounted in the back of the right rear wheel well. Has a skid plate that protected it. The emissions were no longer hooked up. Front seats were aftermarket with only the OEM seat bases still there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom