BJ-61 3B to 12HT conversion??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi team.

Looking at purchasing my mates BJ-60 with a 3B 5 speed (I believe a HFF5) and wanted to convert/swap the engine out for a 12ht engine.

Wondering if any out there has done this or can point me into the direction of a forum of this?

Also does anyone know if the 12ht engines directly fit the HFF5's?
And engine mount wise, does anyone know if the 12ht engines line up with the BJ-61 engine mounts or will these need to be altered?
Also electronics... Anything major I need to be aware of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BJ60 5spd transmission input shaft has fine splines and will not fit a 12HT clutch. Input shaft on transmission will need to be removed and replaced with a 2H/12HT/2F H55 input shaft. Frame engine mounts on BJ60 will not work. Need to alter and make new engine mounts. Drive train will fit. Might have to shorten/lengthen drive shafts.

Make sure accessories on BJ60 and 12HT are the same voltage. I would delete Edic on BJ60 and do manual glow plug. Search Wilson Switch on Mud.

BJ60 5spd transmission input shaft has fine splines and will not fit a 12HT clutch. Input shaft on transmission will need to be removed and replaced with a 2H/12HT/2F H55 input shaft. Frame engine mounts on BJ60 will not work. Need to alter and make new engine mounts. Drive train will fit. Might have to shorten/lengthen drive shafts.

Make sure accessories on BJ60 and 12HT are the same voltage. I would delete Edic on BJ60 and do manual glow plug. Search Wilson Switch on Mud.

Awesome thanks mate! Really helpful!
The electronics side with he an interesting one... Not super familiar with it all but got a couple sparkies that might be able to help out.

not sure about this, but a turbo kit for the 3b might me easier.

Was thinking of going down this route... Keen on that 6 cylinder though...
Turbo kits are quite expenny for it anyways that's why ive kinda push towards a full engine swap instead...

May need to plumb in a fuel return line. Depending on how far south you are the glow isn't needed 12ht has a glow screen under the shut off throttle. Mine will start happily down to zero Celsius without any heat it doesn't get any colder here.
It would be much easier to swap in a 13bt. Bolts to gearbox and chassis and probably will get a wof without any questions.

Also is there a way to replace the input shaft without having to pull apart the transmission?

Also is there a way to replace the input shaft without having to pull apart the transmission?
No, the whole transmission needs to be pulled apart. So may as well rebuild it. Try and find a 12ht with the transmission as a combo. The transfer cases will be interchangeable unless it's vacuum shift. Radiator may be ok but the radiator shroud will most likely need to be modified or find a 2h, 12ht one.

No, the whole transmission needs to be pulled apart. So may as well rebuild it. Try and find a 12ht with the transmission as a combo. The transfer cases will be interchangeable unless it's vacuum shift. Radiator may be ok but the radiator shroud will most likely need to be modified or find a 2h, 12ht one.

If I already have the H55f gearbox (sorry meant to write this and not Hff5 (haha) in my description, don't know how I got this wrong) then it will just be the input shaft which needs replacing right?

Yes

If I already have the H55f gearbox (sorry meant to write this and not Hff5 (haha) in my description, don't know how I got this wrong) then it will just be the input shaft which needs replacing right?
Yes, but you may end up out of pocket less if you find a whole box with the correct input shaft. They are expensive and a h55f is not. Plus you will save crap loads of stuffing around. It's a big job to swap over.

Google search is your friend. Use it to read up these Qs on mud. Many have been through what you are asking about. If you are not handy, take it to someone who is.

Hi Guys , when he time comes, I May swap my engine to an 14B-T , I do not know if this engine is avilable to you in North America, but its an awesome motor and my rig will remain as a BJ60, of course, with +50 HP added to the hood!! well the shaft difference is H vs B. I have seem 5 speed B engine trans mated to HZ engine, but is always good measure the pilot shaft. do not see much of difference between the 3B 2H HZ Chutch sizewize but it is part of the adventure. 12H-T is a rocket engine to me, and it's worth the search.

Im not sure which Toyota diesels were offered originally in the USA market if any. But the ones that show up around here the most tend to be the 3B and 2H. All the others are usually imports or conversions.

Im not sure which Toyota diesels were offered originally in the USA market if any. But the ones that show up around here the most tend to be the 3B and 2H. All the others are usually imports or conversions.
That is correct, you sould also add 12H T that was avialable in latinamerica in small quantities, nice conversions can be HZ or HD-T or 14B-T for those who like 4 cilinder diesel engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom