FZJ 80 Series Audio / Speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys, I tried sifting through some older threads on this subject and caught a mild case of vertigo, so I'm starting fresh. I have a 95 LC and would like to replace the head unit with a new media receiver (Sony XAV, etc.) and new speakers all around (generally go JL Audio being a boat guy but have no preference at this point). Also will need an amp to push everything.. I've read the door speakers are tricky with limited depth.

I'm looking to buy everything and have it installed at my local shop in Huntington Beach. If I could get some proven options on head-units and speakers that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!

Hey guys, I tried sifting through some older threads on this subject and caught a mild case of vertigo, so I'm starting fresh. I have a 95 LC and would like to replace the head unit with a new media receiver (Sony XAV, etc.) and new speakers all around (generally go JL Audio being a boat guy but have no preference at this point). Also will need an amp to push everything.. I've read the door speakers are tricky with limited depth.

I'm looking to buy everything and have it installed at my local shop in Huntington Beach. If I could get some proven options on head-units and speakers that would be awesome. Thanks in advance!
Alpine HU ILX-650 WITH AMP and Kenwood & Rockford shallow speakers. The Alpine head unit is shallow since there's no CD player and the amp mounts right to the back of it to make it easy to fit in the space puts out really good sound at 20 amps per channel.

Doing my sound system right now as well and I've picked up the Sony XAV-AX1000, 4 Polk DB 652s, Rockford Fosgate P1000X5 5 channel amp, and JL Audio CP106LG-W3v3 sub box. Haven't installed anything yet though.

Somebody on the forums installed the Polks in the front and rear and they have good reviews, so that's why I chose them. They look to be shallower speakers and won't hit the dash in the front, but there's gonna be some cutting of the door involved. The Sony seems like an all-around good head unit, has a volume knob and Carplay. Didn't want to go crazy with it. I wanted a sub that could fit where the stock sub is, and the JL audio one should be small enough. It's a 6 inch sub (reviews said it sounds like an 8 inch, but I'll have to test it out and see). The amp has enough power to push everything comfortably. I was gonna go with the Alpine amp mentioned above, but figured that if I'm buying the Polks, I might as well buy a bigger amp. Bought everything at Crutchfield since they have a good return policy.

I'm assuming you're gonna take it to Top Line? I'm looking for a shop in the area and was wondering what your experience with them's been like.

+1 on the Sony XAV-AX1000. Just installed this HU and love having a volume knob and the option for Android Auto. Wired a backup cam as well. Speaker upgrades are next so I'm definitely following this thread (I'm in OC too).

I have the 6-1/2" W3v3 JL subwoofer with custom box that I built...sounds really good for the size ;...)for my 96' LX-450

023.JPG

011.JPG

020.JPG

Last edited:
Just did this over the weekend for a 10" JL sub, if you are getting a professional shop to do it maybe they can do something like this for you. I got the setup from another mud member so I cant help on how it was constructed but it sounds great

Screenshot_20200527-103857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200527-103244_Chrome.jpg

20200525_133853.jpg

20200525_155613.jpg

20200525_155607.jpg

Anything Alpine for the head unit. Selection depends on if you want touch screen, Nav etc. I went without it and got a unit that has adjustable button colors so I can make it look like it somewhat belongs in the truck.

I used Hertz speakers in the doors, they make a shallow mount that fits in the front with no spacers and clear the dash when closed. I did cut the doors and the grills are visible but it doesn't look bad to me. They use an old school mesh style rather than the newer plastic formed grills so it looks more like they came from the 1990's. May paint the grills to match the factory someday bit for now black is fine. The door speakers are powered by a Rockford Fosgate 4 chnl amp made for a UTV that fits in the space the factory amp was in so it's inside the dash and not visible at all.

Sound is awesome for just four 6 inch speakers but could use more bass. Working on design for an 8 or 10 inch sub in the stock rear location but haven't had time to fab up a new mount for it.

Alpine HU ILX-650 WITH AMP and Kenwood & Rockford shallow speakers. The Alpine head unit is shallow since there's no CD player and the amp mounts right to the back of it to make it easy to fit in the space puts out really good sound at 20 amps per channel.
Thanks for the info. Do you know what series of speakers these are? I don't see anything on the Rockford website specifically stating shallow. Do these fit without any mods?

Anything Alpine for the head unit. Selection depends on if you want touch screen, Nav etc. I went without it and got a unit that has adjustable button colors so I can make it look like it somewhat belongs in the truck.

I used Hertz speakers in the doors, they make a shallow mount that fits in the front with no spacers and clear the dash when closed. I did cut the doors and the grills are visible but it doesn't look bad to me. They use an old school mesh style rather than the newer plastic formed grills so it looks more like they came from the 1990's. May paint the grills to match the factory someday bit for now black is fine. The door speakers are powered by a Rockford Fosgate 4 chnl amp made for a UTV that fits in the space the factory amp was in so it's inside the dash and not visible at all.

Sound is awesome for just four 6 inch speakers but could use more bass. Working on design for an 8 or 10 inch sub in the stock rear location but haven't had time to fab up a new mount for it.
Thanks Pasco, I'm looking for speakers that don't require door mods so not sure about Hertz. The Rockford amp seems like the cats meow for a clean and clear solution, leaning that direction!

Doing my sound system right now as well and I've picked up the Sony XAV-AX1000, 4 Polk DB 652s, Rockford Fosgate P1000X5 5 channel amp, and JL Audio CP106LG-W3v3 sub box. Haven't installed anything yet though.

Somebody on the forums installed the Polks in the front and rear and they have good reviews, so that's why I chose them. They look to be shallower speakers and won't hit the dash in the front, but there's gonna be some cutting of the door involved. The Sony seems like an all-around good head unit, has a volume knob and Carplay. Didn't want to go crazy with it. I wanted a sub that could fit where the stock sub is, and the JL audio one should be small enough. It's a 6 inch sub (reviews said it sounds like an 8 inch, but I'll have to test it out and see). The amp has enough power to push everything comfortably. I was gonna go with the Alpine amp mentioned above, but figured that if I'm buying the Polks, I might as well buy a bigger amp. Bought everything at Crutchfield since they have a good return policy.

I'm assuming you're gonna take it to Top Line? I'm looking for a shop in the area and was wondering what your experience with them's been like.
Roger thanks for the info, that's going to be a super nice setup. I'm leaning towards the same Sony XAV-AX1000, great price at $250, not sure if the higher end XAV-AX100 with "factory infotainment, vehicle info, and control integration" is useful in these older systems. Would like to find some speakers that don't require mod. Let me know how everything fits!

Top Line is a great shop, Mario the owner and his guys run a tight operation. He's a Land Cruiser guy himself and also works on classics.. He refers a body shop and an audio shop nearby so I'm planning to use his guy for installation.

Roger thanks for the info, that's going to be a super nice setup. I'm leaning towards the same Sony XAV-AX1000, great price at $250, not sure if the higher end XAV-AX100 with "factory infotainment, vehicle info, and control integration" is useful in these older systems. Would like to find some speakers that don't require mod. Let me know how everything fits!

Top Line is a great shop, Mario the owner and his guys run a tight operation. He's a Land Cruiser guy himself and also works on classics.. He refers a body shop and an audio shop nearby so I'm planning to use his guy for installation.

I may be wrong but I think those twoSony head units are about the same except the ax100 has the two seek buttons on the front where the ax1000 replaces those buttons with a USB port.

I bought the ax100 online from Best Buy two years ago for about $280 and just got it installed a couple of months ago. It looks to be discontinued for the most part...even Crutchfield doesn’t offer it anymore. I personally chose the seek buttons over the USB port.

I may be wrong but I think those twoSony head units are about the same except the ax100 has the two seek buttons on the front where the ax1000 replaces those buttons with a USB port.

I bought the ax100 online from Best Buy two years ago for about $280 and just got it installed a couple of months ago. It looks to be discontinued for the most part...even Crutchfield doesn’t offer it anymore. I personally chose the seek buttons over the USB port.
On3 enjoy the new radio! What is the USB used for if everything is bluetooth, do you still have to plug the phone in for some things? Backup if bluetooth isn't working?

On3 enjoy the new radio! What is the USB used for if everything is bluetooth, do you still have to plug the phone in for some things? Backup if bluetooth isn't working?

From my understanding, these head units (not sure about the 1000 though) do not support wireless car play so in my case, I use the USB to hook my phone up to activate apple car play. My unit just had the USB plug in the back of the unit and then I ran the USB wire near the center console and plug my apple cord into that. With the 1000, you would just plug straight into the USB slot on the front of the unit, unless it has another slot on the back. Then you could run/hide the wires like I do.

I do use both the USB plug and Bluetooth often. Quick trips I’ll just use Bluetooth...it automatically connects to phone and I can still listen to music through iPhone apps. On longer trips or where I like having a map displayed, then I’ll use the USB plug.

One nice thing for me personally, I like having the Waze maps app open while driving because it tells me my speed and my speedometer is broken currently :bang:

If you want matching Polk's for the dash speakers I have some STL's for 3D printing spacers to make the Polks Fit - also I have a bracket to enable you to mount a small KTA-450 alpine amp to the Sony head unit. FWIW I really like having the tactile volume control on the head unit.

Polk 4" Bracket.
KTA-450 Bracket

I used the quarter panel were the old stock sub was mounted, repurposed the sub bracket to hold my remote inverter and Amplifier. Then mounted a 10" Sub in the tailgate. So far no rattles, and I've actually had to turn down the power on the amp because it's way too much Base for my taste. LR3 TAILGATE SUBWOOFER 🔊:meh: My Younger brother who likes rap and base thumping music loved it.. But for my music taste it was a bit much.. :oldman:

I have that Sony AX1000 head unit, with the free harness from Crutchfield it was about an hour install including salvaging the old Pioneer DVD unit. For the front speakers I got some Retrosound 6 1/2" which were the only ones that fit the factory installation without attaching to the door panel– I didn't want to enlarge the hole and have a surface mount situation. These have a 1.5" mounting depth to clear the window.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom