June Meet - Hill Country Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all! For next month we are gonna try a drive around the hill country. I have talked to Gary, aka geanes on mud. He is happy to lead us as he does this a lot and knows where to go. The exact plan is a little up in the air right now, but I'll post more details soon. There will probably be two meetup points for north and south goers and we'll all meet up at a gas station in Llano at 9am.

Date: Saturday, June 6th
Time: Meet at 9am

Post up if you plan on making it.

Here’s the plan! Thanks to Gary.
There’s been a couple who have posted and some likes. Please post up if we can expect you for sure so we don’t leave you.

Here’s my number too 512-923-2282. Tyler

Let's plan on meeting at the Stripes on the south side of Llano (on Hwy 71) by 9:30 and roll out of there no later than 10:00am. We can all top off with fuel there for the trip.

We can then run the north loop of gravel up and over to Mason where we can pick up Cooper's BBQ take-out and then eat on the gravel beach where the James and Llano Rivers intersect. From there, people wanting a half-day only, could return via 29 to Llano and then either continue on 29 if they live in Round Rock area or jog over to 71 to return to Lakeway/South and Central Austin.

The North Loop will contain Fly Gap Road (lots of little water splashes and a super scenic wide-open pasture view), Spillar Mine Road (runs along a narrow ridgeline with views far off to both the east and west).

The South Loop will contain the James River Crossing (ALWAYS popular....12-16" max depth and 250 yards to cross....can be 6" deep if you track along the extreme right side....all rock bottom so no traction issues), the Bat Caves (really cool dike crossing and HUGE rock formations), Threadgill Creek Rd (LOTS of little water splashes) and Loyal Valley Rd (several crossings of the dry Sandy Creek).

Generally take it pretty easy and enjoy the scenery and being away from the house. If you have a CB or even HAM or GMRS, please bring it. I will have CB, HAM and GMRS capability along with 2 handheld GMRS talkies (if anyone needs to borrow them).

If we roll out of Llano by 10am, we should arrive in Mason for lunch around 12:30. From there, if you do the south loop with us, you should expect to arrive back in Llano around 4-4:30.

It's a super fun and scenic route. No need for low range and you'll never need to engage lockers (including your center diffs) at any point. It's about 95% gravel the entire way. There are a few very short bitumen sections connecting the route, but we can easily remain aired down the entire way. I generally recommend airing down to something below 30psi to make the ride more comfortable. I run 22psi front/25psi rear for reference.

Hit me up on PM if you have any questions or text me. My name is Gary, (512) 800-1421.

We will practice social distancing, but that doesn't mean we can't have a TON of fun (NERF gun wars are allowable....and encouraged LOL). Our rigs were designed as the perfect tailgaters because, well, they have a tailgate :)

I live in Pflugerville. For anyone who lives up North like me, you're more than welcome to caravan with me to Llano via 29.

I'm a maybe.. will need to see if I can get someone to come in to work early. But as I figure that out I'll keep this updated.

I have GMRS and a HAM to listen on but still no license. And a 200 that has gone far too long without seeing dirt....

-Justin

I'm interested in getting the HAM technician license.

"The Technician License

The Technician class license is the entry-level license of choice for most new ham radio operators. To earn the Technician license requires passing one examination totaling 35 questions on radio theory, regulations and operating practices. The license gives access to all Amateur Radio frequencies above 30 megahertz, allowing these licensees the ability to communicate locally and most often within North America. It also allows for some limited privileges on the HF (also called "short wave") bands used for international communications."

Looks like the exams are in person, and the next available in the area are in July.

Here’s the plan! Thanks to Gary.
There’s been a couple who have posted and some likes. Please post up if we can expect you for sure so we don’t leave you.

Here’s my number too 512-923-2282. Tyler

Let's plan on meeting at the Stripes on the south side of Llano (on Hwy 71) by 9:30 and roll out of there no later than 10:00am. We can all top off with fuel there for the trip.

We can then run the north loop of gravel up and over to Mason where we can pick up Cooper's BBQ take-out and then eat on the gravel beach where the James and Llano Rivers intersect. From there, people wanting a half-day only, could return via 29 to Llano and then either continue on 29 if they live in Round Rock area or jog over to 71 to return to Lakeway/South and Central Austin.

The North Loop will contain Fly Gap Road (lots of little water splashes and a super scenic wide-open pasture view), Spillar Mine Road (runs along a narrow ridgeline with views far off to both the east and west).

The South Loop will contain the James River Crossing (ALWAYS popular....12-16" max depth and 250 yards to cross....can be 6" deep if you track along the extreme right side....all rock bottom so no traction issues), the Bat Caves (really cool dike crossing and HUGE rock formations), Threadgill Creek Rd (LOTS of little water splashes) and Loyal Valley Rd (several crossings of the dry Sandy Creek).

Generally take it pretty easy and enjoy the scenery and being away from the house. If you have a CB or even HAM or GMRS, please bring it. I will have CB, HAM and GMRS capability along with 2 handheld GMRS talkies (if anyone needs to borrow them).

If we roll out of Llano by 10am, we should arrive in Mason for lunch around 12:30. From there, if you do the south loop with us, you should expect to arrive back in Llano around 4-4:30.

It's a super fun and scenic route. No need for low range and you'll never need to engage lockers (including your center diffs) at any point. It's about 95% gravel the entire way. There are a few very short bitumen sections connecting the route, but we can easily remain aired down the entire way. I generally recommend airing down to something below 30psi to make the ride more comfortable. I run 22psi front/25psi rear for reference.

Hit me up on PM if you have any questions or text me. My name is Gary, (512) 800-1421.

We will practice social distancing, but that doesn't mean we can't have a TON of fun (NERF gun wars are allowable....and encouraged LOL). Our rigs were designed as the perfect tailgaters because, well, they have a tailgate :)

I live in Pflugerville. For anyone who lives up North like me, you're more than welcome to caravan with me to Llano via 29.
Yeah, We're up for this! We did the North end to Mason last weekend, but blew a brake line. If its OK, we will be bringing our 3 fur children. They are very friendly. 0930 at Stripes, correct?

Yeah, We're up for this! We did the North end to Mason last weekend, but blew a brake line. If its OK, we will be bringing our 3 fur children. They are very friendly. 0930 at Stripes, correct?
Sounds good! I like dogs! And yes, but I’m probably aiming for 9.

Ok, just mapped the stripes, you talking about the one South of town?
Or the one in the middle of town???
Gary said south side off 71. I only see one but looks like north side?? I’ll ask him

Ok so anyone north is welcome to caravan with Gary to Llano by first meeting him at Liberty Hill Valero. More south guys can go straight to Llano stripes. Or I’m up for meeting closer to caravan. I’m in Buda. Text me your if you’re south, maybe we can caravan to Llano.Maps below. Top Library Hill, Bottom Llano.
AAD427F0-1E01-4447-B4FA-4F0FD9E5D1DA.png
EA9C3276-E53B-4475-9334-62FD30CD8A31.png

I think I have my wife convinced for Half day. I will be leaving out of Round Rock Paloma Lakes area if anyone wants to meet up in Round Rock area.
Thanks to all who help organize this.

I should be at stripes at 9:15-20 that morning, white LC200. Are we determining radio channels ahead of time in case someone needs to try and catch up? I know phone numbers have been posted but my T-Mobile is less than rock solid outside of the bigger cities in central Texas.

I should be at stripes at 9:15-20 that morning, white LC200. Are we determining radio channels ahead of time in case someone needs to try and catch up? I know phone numbers have been posted but my T-Mobile is less than rock solid outside of the bigger cities in central Texas.
I think we’ll decide on a channel before we head out of stripes

I think we’ll decide on a channel before we head out of stripes

On all my past trips I've led out there, we run channel 17 on CB, channel 20 on GMRS which corresponds to 462.675 on HAM frequency (50W GMRS channel). I have 3 Baofeng UV5R and 2 Midland XT GMRS handheld radios with me. So, I have up to 4 spare GMRS handhelds to hand out as well as a Midland handheld CB.

I think I have my wife convinced for Half day. I will be leaving out of Round Rock Paloma Lakes area if anyone wants to meet up in Round Rock area.
Thanks to all who help organize this.

I live right near you. I'm over in Forest Creek. You can tag on with me as I meet up to lead everyone else.

Thanks, @geanes. We made the long drive to Nashville, TN, two weeks ago, and won't be heading back for a few weeks but will join the next run. Enjoy all!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom