Weber carb question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ksemerdjian

SILVER Star
Threads
20200525_094726.jpg
20200525_094737.jpg
When I acquired my Fj40 months ago it had a Carter carb on it which was bad so I bought a Weber carb k743m to replace it. The carb is fine and it runs good so no complaints on performance but I noticed the fuel feed is on the engine side which puts the fuel line near the header. I have already had to replace the fuel hose once since I installed it and haven't really driven it all that much but what I did notice is the hose is really hot after driving it. I have seen other posts and pictures of Weber carbs on Toyota engines and they all seem to have the fuel line in the other side of the carb away from the engine but I also noticed those were the electric choke setups and mine is a manual choke. I would love to move it to the other side but it's not threaded so I can't simply just move it without drilling and tapping the it. I did get the carb on Ebay but it was shipping directly from Redline which is the Weber distributor from what I understand. Has anyone else come across this issue and what was your solution? Thanks in advance.

You could do a heat shield. You could add a new inlet port either on the other side or from the front and plug the existing. The one you have is likely just drilled and the brass inlet tapped into place, not threaded.
On the version of weber I threw on my 40 about 18 years ago the fuel feed is straight from the front, so haven't needed to deal with same heat issues.

IMG_2265.JPG

IMG_2264.JPG

On my carb, there is a plug on the side opposite the barb. Simply unscrew the plug, and swap spots with the fuel inlet barb.

However, yours isn't drilled thru the casting, or pipe threaded. You might attempt to take it apart and drill a hole, and tap the casting.

You might plug that barb under the air filter, or run a heater hose line from it to the spot on the valve cover with the air filter. Otherwise, the engine will consume dusty air from this hole.

Bend a hard metal line... it is fine to enter that side... I have seen both ... most enter opposite

NEED to remove that valve cover air filter and put a hose from it to the white elbow off the air cleaner

Without that hose you will get a lot more condensation build up in the valve cover ... and it effects your pcv system having that to air

It's connected to the manifold. Is it a big difference when it's connected to the carb?

You do not have the vac hooked up to your distributor from the carb?

Is your vac hooked up on your manifold?

If so.... hook it up on to the carb
I get it now. You want the distributor hooked to the carb so it's not on full manifold vacuum. While I was reading up on the distributor I read the 71 is a retard distributor as opposed to an advance so maybe it's better to not even hook it up.

How about a pic of the distributor diaphragm, where the vac line goes in? It might not be the original unit? Otherwise, plug the manifold, cap the distributor.

Got another question for you guys. Took my cruiser out yesterday on it's first real outing and while I was wheeling came across a spot that I needed to slowly descend. While doing so I noticed smoke coming from my tailpipe and it smelled like oil burning which then cleared up after a few miles. The question I have is this hose in the picture is attached to the PCV valve and connected to the base of the carb adapter, is that correct? The only thing I can think of is that while I was descending oil ran up the fill tube which is were the PCV valve is and it sucked it into the intake. The engine in my cruiser is a 69 f which has the fill tube on the block and a PCV on it.
20200531_080623.jpg

Several threads on that phenomenon. Quirk of design. Front of oil pan is shallow, so descent puts all 7 quarts on the front rods, which toss it up in nto the cylinder walls.

Several threads on that phenomenon. Quirk of design. Front of oil pan is shallow, so descent puts all 7 quarts on the front rods, which toss it up in nto the cylinder walls.
Thank you Mark. That was my first though but I wanted to be sure I had the hose connected correctly. When I acquired this vehicle none of the hoses were connected so I've been going off of pictures I found on mud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom