Mort's 76 FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm trying to button up a bunch of last minute stuff so that I can drive it locally. I'm having some electrical issues. At first the turn signals weren't working when the brake switch was plugged in. I found out it was because it wasn't adjusted correctly and the brake lights were always on. Now the turn signals won't flash if the lights are on. Also, the lights come on when the switch is half out and full out. Are the lights supposed to be on only in the full out position?

You have to ck our 4x4 Labs’ rear bumper. It the cats meow!
I have found that the side protection is something I need.
This one is Way cool too.
758D9DBD-B901-4525-98CB-E9C64A61B939.jpeg

You have to ck our 4x4 Labs’ rear bumper. It the cats meow!
I have found that the side protection is something I need.
This one is Way cool too.View attachment 2309867
That's pretty sweet. The rear protection would be nice and a tire carrier would be too. Eventually I want a bigger fuel tank and will have to relocated the spare.

Man. It's the little things that kill you on these. Trying to fix the brake light. Realize it's just the bumper for the brake switch. Look around my stuff for half an hour. Then look online. Curse that I moved to a place that's an hour and a half from a Toyota dealer where the part is $2. Then on to another thing that needs to be done.

I got her out and driver her for really the first time last night, I've driven her at the airport but not on the road. She ran well, she did some coal rolling, so i need to adjust the injector pump. I've been reading today how to do it and it doesn't seem too hard.

I spent a bunch of yesterday trying to get rid of the smoke. The smoke screw was bottomed out, screwed all the way in. I backed it out incrementally and it didn't do anything for the smoke. It was finally all the way out and didn't help.

After that I adjusted the star wheel. I turned it out 5 full turns, not just clicks, and it was still smoking but not as bad. But, by the time it was out five turns the retainer was only sitting half on the star wheel. It looked excessively out.

That got me reading more about it and some guys were saying that if the timing was out that it could cause excessive fueling and black smoke at acceleration. That's where I stopped. I haven't had time to mess with it. It's got me wondering if the injection pump is off on its timing. Before I installed it I read a lot about it and am almost positive it's lined up with the correct gears so it may just be adjusting the body of the pump itself but I was a little hesitant. I installed it over two years ago. From what I've read a lot of guys will just rotate the pump until it sounds right but the proper way is to use a magnetic dial indicator to time it.

Did you put new injectors or have your tested? After sitting for two years I wouldn’t rule out a sticky or leaky injector.

A couple members here on mudd @boots4 and @GLTHFJ60 have spent quite a bit of time tuning their VE pump 4BT’s and I’m sure one if not both could help get you pointed in the right direction.

When I bought the motor it had new injectors in it. I only ran it a few times around the airport and it didn't smoke like this. It was started about every 4-6 months while sitting but that's it. I'll have to look into that. Thanks. Here's what the owner said he had done. Plus I had the injection pump rebuilt before it sat.

D3D51260-BCF4-4753-A545-6D4DEDAC37F7.jpeg

5X.014 injectors sound big to me with a single turbo but I'm sure some experts will swing by and set us straight.

Did you put new injectors or have your tested? After sitting for two years I wouldn’t rule out a sticky or leaky injector.

A couple members here on mudd @boots4 and @GLTHFJ60 have spent quite a bit of time tuning their VE pump 4BT’s and I’m sure one if not both could help get you pointed in the right direction.
Thanks. I sent them both messages.

I have to holset super 30. HX30W. Do I need smaller injectors? And if so what size do you recommend?

I run 5X.012 in mine but I have a P-pump and don't know the apples and oranges between the two pumps.
If I have to buy new injectors today I would get a smaller set now that I've turned my 4BT down quite a bit.
I'm sure Johnny will get you set up with a solid recommendation, he has run his 4BT with your similar setup for a few years now and has it dialed.

My other question is could the fuel screw be too far out? I haven't touched it so it's where the rebuilder put it.

I got to messing with the fuel screw to see if I could get rid of the smoke. I turned it counter clockwise 2 turns and it wouldn't start. I went back to 1 and it ran but rough. Then 1/2 turn was still a little rough so I put it back to where I started. I guess my next step is to get some injectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom