New to the club, just bought this LX470. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@wrigh003 if your avatar photo is an accurate description of you, then you will be happy to know we don't look that much alike

Yeah, that's me. Beard's on vacation at the moment, but the shiny giant head and sunglasses are pretty much permanent. Older I get the more like this yellow guy I look- INSIDE glasses are about to become a thing. :geek:

Nice, thanks for sharing, I'm eyeballing a 2000 but a friend is warning me about air suspensions and the general problem with the complex lexus electronics and add-ons.. If you don't mind, how much did you spend?

Welcome to the LX fam! Great color and feels like a solid cruiser. Those wheel nuts are nuts! lol That's a new one!
Can't wait to see more about your repairs and build. Enjoy!

Nice, thanks for sharing, I'm eyeballing a 2000 but a friend is warning me about air suspensions and the general problem with the complex lexus electronics and add-ons.. If you don't mind, how much did you spend?
AHC is a hydraulic suspension. Besides AHC and side mirror memory, I think the LX and the LC are the same electronically.

Nice, thanks for sharing, I'm eyeballing a 2000 but a friend is warning me about air suspensions and the general problem with the complex lexus electronics and add-ons..

So far I haven't seen anything to make me go "I can't manage this" as I go through. I have a couple of pretty hard and fast rules for old cars/ project cars. A) don't buy stuff that doesn't run, or that exceeds my ability for bodywork. Does it need extensive welding or a new engine? Hard pass. B) Stick to project cars with a fairly developed fanbase and information on the internets. So a place like this message board counts for a whole lot. Tech questions can get answered, and if you have some tools and a curious mind, plus willingness to get hands dirty and grind through some stuff that sorta sucks to deal with- lots of stuff is fixable DIY-style. C) Parts availability - there are some electronic bits in my interior that need to get swapped out. They're just worn out after 20 years. Car-part.com to the rescue.

This thing passes all those checks. Is the AHC suspension a little more complex than say an old International Scout? Sure. But it's still just a 20yo truck, not the Space Shuttle. That's just my opinion.

So far I haven't seen anything to make me go "I can't manage this" as I go through. I have a couple of pretty hard and fast rules for old cars/ project cars. A) don't buy stuff that doesn't run, or that exceeds my ability for bodywork. Does it need extensive welding or a new engine? Hard pass. B) Stick to project cars with a fairly developed fanbase and information on the internets. So a place like this message board counts for a whole lot. Tech questions can get answered, and if you have some tools and a curious mind, plus willingness to get hands dirty and grind through some stuff that sorta sucks to deal with- lots of stuff is fixable DIY-style. C) Parts availability - there are some electronic bits in my interior that need to get swapped out. They're just worn out after 20 years. Car-part.com to the rescue.

This thing passes all those checks. Is the AHC suspension a little more complex than say an old International Scout? Sure. But it's still just a 20yo truck, not the Space Shuttle. That's just my opinion.
Good wisdom - thanks

Nice rig, but wow, please get something on that steering wheel. ;) Recommend the Loncky product on Amazon for close to a factory look and great feel.

Nice rig, but wow, please get something on that steering wheel. ;) Recommend the Loncky product on Amazon for close to a factory look and great feel.

Cool! I was just looking at whole replacement steering wheels- this is cheaper. Stitches on and stays tight?

Cool! I was just looking at whole replacement steering wheels- this is cheaper. Stitches on and stays tight?
yes, takes at least 1.5 hours of stitching, real tight and not thick. Very happy with mine, and you can message the supplier on partial or total perforated style. Only concern I see is the prep work considering the chunkiness of that wear on yours. Entire wheel replacement may be best way to go, honestly. Heard good things on the ebay replacement wheels from a few guys here. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom