Events/Trails Hurricane Creek May 22-24 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guys I’m out. @Yotahead52. I work For Duke Energy. We are in a refueling outage at Catawba nuclear station and our original end date of the 23rd has been pushed to the 27th. Geez Louis. This is my life when it comes to club events. Unreal

Sorry folks, my son decided he's coming home for the weekend and it's his birthday so I have to bow out.

Gotta drop out too....needing to go visit my mom in Chattanooga to help with some to-do's and be a good son as my younger brother and his wife will be moving in with her when they sell their house in FL. He will then become the favorite son....oh wait, he already is!

Waitlist request. ONSC here. About 4hr west. Easier to make this than relic weekend.
No need for wait list, we just had 3 back out so you’re in!

Based on the forecast for heavy storms pretty much all weekend, my kids and I are going to sit this one out. Safe travels, everyone.

I will post payment confirmation tonight. Based on email I think it is 6 so far.

Weather and surface conditions are a factor. Rain all week will make for some muddy travel and damp campsites regardless of weekend precipitation. Make the decision best for you and prepare accordingly for those that still come.

Silver lining; great temps and no dusty roads. Weather forecast for Hot Springs.
1589981027228.png

In hopes that the USDA will reopen the national forests just in time for us to embark on our yearly trek through Cherokee National Forest, we are sticking with the plans and keeping our fingers crossed. Post up if you are in.

This is an Expo style trip in which self-reliance is the subject: Limited/no bathrooms, no gas stops, no showers, no guaranteed camping sites as we will be miles from paved roads at times. We will be seeing a mixture of mostly gravel roads, some paved, and even some 4x4 only roads. Along the way you can expect short mountain hikes, scenic views, refreshing mountain streams, cool nights spent around a campfire and maybe a bear or two. Expectations are that any Toyota with 4WD will do fine on the terrain we'll be covering. (Read here: You don't need lockers, a lift, mud tires, etc.)

As far as equipment, gear, etc., those attending will coordinate so we don't have more than 2 of most things (campstoves, etc) and yet ensure we have firewood, tarps, rope, saws, shovels, potable water, etc. At a minimum, an attendee would need a lightweight sleeping bag, tent, and cooler/fridge, and $ for the group meals.

Like last year this trip will be open and limited to 6paid members of ONSC, 6 paid members of UC, and 6 paid members of LCLC. We require that attendees have an active membership before signing up to give our contributing club members a fair shot, given the fact that these trips are extremely popular and that they are official events. PM me with any questions or clarifications needed.

We'll meet around 11:00-12:00 at the Sierra Nevada brewery in Asheville for lunch Friday May 22nd. After lunch, we'll head down the road to HC and make our way up to camp. More trip details to come.

The trip is a family friendly trip and we encourage bringing the kids as well as WELL-behaved dogs. Out of respect for the entire group, if your dog cannot behave unleashed around other dogs and people (especially children) please do not bring them.

Here is the tentative plan (subject to change based on weather, attendance, and availability). We will make our way to camp at Wolf Creek Falls on Friday night. Here you can expect to relax and enjoy a small private campsite and waterfall, and depends on who shows up, possibly a late night acoustic serenade around the campfire. Saturday we will make all efforts to depart the camp by 11am and work our way back down to Max Patch Mountain for a hike to the top where we can hang out for a bit. This is a great place for the kids, dogs, and flying kites! After here we will spend about 3 hours or so on a traverse through Martha Sundquist to Stone Mountain and back. Depending on group size we may head south across I-40 instead of back to Martha Sundquist to camp at another riverside campsite off Longarm Mountain. Sunday morning we will pack up and work our way toward the interstate and hit a couple more must-see spots on the way out.

Roster:
UC:
1. @Bryanseye
2. @SCDerby
3. @IcutYourCruiser
4. @Trollhole
5. @yamaguchigumi
6. @JToobe

ONSC:
1. @ceby
2. @forrest5000
3. @jamesurq

3. @NC LX
4. @weekenderlander
5. @AJR
6. @roadstr6

Wait List fill ins:
1. @raanderson77
2. @Tincan93
3. @dmark84
4. @Yotahead52
5. @Jsparks117
6. @aquatech3
Paid:
Me
@ceby
@yamaguchigumi
@Trollhole
@Jsparks117
@SCDerby
@IcutYourCruiser

Edit: info@upstatecruisers.com is the ppal for anyone needing it.

Last edited:
Just paid.

Anyone bringing a SoloStove or fire pit? Debating bringing mine, just don't really want pack it (limited space). I can bring it if no one is bringing one. I think with the rain, some type of pit would be helpful.

Just paid.

Anyone bringing a SoloStove or fire pit? Debating bringing mine, just don't really want pack it (limited space). I can bring it if no one is bringing one. I think with the rain, some type of pit would be helpful.
Up to you, there is only going to be primitive rock fire pits where we camp.

I am bringing a table, Coleman stove and tarp.
We have to head out early Sunday

Following. I'm interested to learn what is open vs closed. Headed there in 2 weeks. Safe travels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom