What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (100 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Box Rocket I agree! I really wanted those in bronze, due to my impatience I ended up with bronze BR6. Its so annoying to spent almost $2k on a set of 5 wheel and have to bore them out and not be able to run center caps though..... I'm pretty pissed they were not very clear about that on their site when I bought my wheels. :banghead:

Got my first one!
And immediately drove 750 miles back home.

1996 LX450 non locked and I can't wait to start the mods.
First thing is to put the set of SCS and Wildpeak ATW3 285/75/16r that came from my 1st gen Tacoma
001.jpg

How hard was to fit the Ray10s on your LC?
Supposedly pretty easy with a sanding wheel. I didn't try that and it ended up being a nightmare by hand, gave up and took them to a machine shop to be lathed out. Should have done that from the start.

Still happy with the rims but I've always been an SCS fan - this is my 3rd set.

@Box Rocket I agree! I really wanted those in bronze, due to my impatience I ended up with bronze BR6. Its so annoying to spent almost $2k on a set of 5 wheel and have to bore them out and not be able to run center caps though..... I'm pretty pissed they were not very clear about that on their site when I bought my wheels. :banghead:
To be fair, SCS does say that the F5 wheel is the only direct fit for the 80 series. They have always designed wheels mainly for Tacomas and 4runners, and now offer some Tundra models too. It just so happens that several of the 6 lugs ones will work on the Cruisers but they do require boring the center hub. Not saying it's your "fault", but it is pretty readily available info if you do a bit of research before purchasing.
That said, I agree that SCS would be smart to make a note of it on their site. FWIW, I really like the BR6 wheel! Maybe even more than the Ray10. The Ray10 is great looking but is also super popular. If you don't mind having the same wheel as LOTS of other Toyotas then it's no big deal. If you want something a bit more unique the BR6 is rad looking IMO and not quite as popular (yet) as the Ray10.

Last edited:
That looks great! I have been extremely pleased with my Toyo MTs. Best tire I have had on the truck in 23 years of ownership. I'd love to run 38s but have been afraid of potential rubbing. I run Toyo MT 35s on a Slee 4" lift. What lift are you running and do your 38s rub?
I'm also a big Toyo fan, I don't run anything else and every rig gets a set. Mine are 37's. Running 38s would be a whole nother can of worms since they tend to run big.

How hard was to fit the Ray10s on your LC?
with the exception of the F5 wheel, ALL of the SCS wheels have a small lip in the center bore for center cap to snap into. The lip is quite small (maybe 1/8") but it won't fit over the hubs on Land Cruisers. So you MUST remove the lip if you want to run SCS wheels. I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but some have had more trouble than others. I had some inexpensive sanding drums that go on my cordless drill. Took me about 20 min per wheel to use this tool to sand off the lip on my SR8 wheels when I had them. Or you could take them to a machine shop and have them turned on a lathe. I didn't want to deal with the hassle and cost of that and the sanding drum worked great, just took a bit of time.
Rotary-Drum-Sander.jpg

I'm also a big Toyo fan, I don't run anything else and every rig gets a set. Mine are 37's. Running 38s would be a whole nother can of worms since they tend to run big.
I'm becoming a Toyo convert as well. My current 37's have been very good. Only tire I've liked as much is the Goodyear MTR Kevlar, but I think the Toyo is wearing better. Only downside is the weight. They are heavy but have been excellent otherwise. I've got about 30k on mine now with lots of life left. I have a few chunks missing but that's my fault not the tire. I may have been a bit "aggressive" offroad before getting on the clearance issues sorted completely. ;)
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I'm becoming a Toyo convert as well. My current 37's have been very good. Only tire I've liked as much is the Goodyear MTR Kevlar, but I think the Toyo is wearing better. Only downside is the weight. They are heavy but have been excellent otherwise. I've got about 30k on mine now with lots of life left. I have a few chunks missing but that's my fault not the tire. I may have been a bit "aggressive" offroad before getting on the clearance issues sorted completely. ;)
For sure, best tire ever IMO. I've had over 10 sets on diff rigs here and even if I go nuts and start chunking them they've never failed me but have punctured others. I agree on the weight however, your current stance is my fav and I was close to 13.5 but chose to shave some weight this time.

with the exception of the F5 wheel, ALL of the SCS wheels have a small lip in the center bore for center cap to snap into. The lip is quite small (maybe 1/8") but it won't fit over the hubs on Land Cruisers. So you MUST remove the lip if you want to run SCS wheels. I didn't think it was a big deal at all, but some have had more trouble than others. I had some inexpensive sanding drums that go on my cordless drill. Took me about 20 min per wheel to use this tool to sand off the lip on my SR8 wheels when I had them. Or you could take them to a machine shop and have them turned on a lathe. I didn't want to deal with the hassle and cost of that and the sanding drum worked great, just took a bit of time.
View attachment 2312262
Hey,
Yeah, I did some research and came across your original post about it.
I was hoping to get away without having to sand that lip since I wanna to keep the center cap.
I tried some 1" spacers, but it didnt work.
Oh well, Ill see what Ill do!

Thanks for the reply!

Logan Utah... makes me think of Campbell Scientific, I work with their dataloggers on a daily basis.

100k......... does it still have the new car smell?
Josh Campbell was my neighbor for 6 years. He’s a great guy. No. new car smell, built the inside is primo condtion. ;)

Got out to Moab and did some social distanced camping and a little wheeling. Blown away with how many people were in Moab it seemed more alive and more relaxed with stuff being open then where I am in Colorado. The weather was perfect it cooled down at night and was 80-85 during the day.

It was my first time using the roof top tent I bought second hand around Christmas time on impulse. I don’t think I’m a overlandy guy but as much as I hate it wheeling due to the high center of gravity it was pretty slick to use with the girlfriend it was cozy and easy. I got to use the 4.88s for the first time since downsizing from the 5.29s. Wayyy happier with the performance on the road even driving over I-70 and vail pass loaded down with the tent and way more crap then we needed to bring I thought it was a lot more comfortable doing 75-80 then with the 5.29s. I didn’t notice a huge difference wheeling either but I’m sure I will when I’m wheeling at high altitude in Colorado. I did Hells Revange and Poison Spider but didn’t get to ballsy with the line choice as I was out there solo. Cruiser killed it gotta love it

84BA809B-AF39-449C-9B58-D1A7105ECE96.jpeg

0DFA66C1-12FB-41C1-A744-6E5BC6336255.jpeg

55F4CD14-C944-47D8-B72C-2BB23CC64D21.jpeg

CA101A6E-284C-4E45-8DC7-621D4F2DC689.jpeg

55A71328-57AA-431C-8BAD-FDB80B5858D5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom