New Member! '93 LC In SoCal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Welcome to mud đź–• đź–•, 20 posts and no official welcome

Man LS swap is a dream for me because I cut my teeth on SBC’s. Unfortunately I think I’m CA I think I’d have a better chance of getting away with murder than swapping an engine like that into an OBD I car that is also required to go through the more stringent STAR smog check.
I heard that interview with Jonathan Ward that in CA they can only swap '95 80's with LS3 only because of all the emission BS. That just seems so backwards, social engineering in the 50's was deleting public transit and now they have swung all the way back.

I heard that interview with Jonathan Ward that in CA they can only swap '95 80's with LS3 only because of all the emission BS. That just seems so backwards, social engineering in the 50's was deleting public transit and now they have swung all the way back.
It's absolutely infuriating dude. Not because we have such strict emissions inspections, but because there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO inspection of enforcement of safety standards. They care so much about emissions but do nothing for actual safety equipment. I see people running tires that look like racing slicks, cars with no third brake light, no brake lights at all, airbag lights on, and the list goes on. And at least in LA, none of this stuff is enforced at all. This is the type of stuff that actually causes accidents and kills or injures people, but the CA government seems to have their heads stuck so far up their tailpipes that they don't care about actual automotive safety. It's especially frustrating as someone who rides a motorcycle as their primary means of transportation, as my odds of being killed because of something like this are much higher than a car driver.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I DO think that there should be some basic emissions standards and inspection, but in CA it has gone way, way too far.

It's absolutely infuriating dude. Not because we have such strict emissions inspections, but because there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO inspection of enforcement of safety standards. They care so much about emissions but do nothing for actual safety equipment. I see people running tires that look like racing slicks, cars with no third brake light, no brake lights at all, airbag lights on, and the list goes on. And at least in LA, none of this stuff is enforced at all. This is the type of stuff that actually causes accidents and kills or injures people, but the CA government seems to have their heads stuck so far up their tailpipes that they don't care about actual automotive safety. It's especially frustrating as someone who rides a motorcycle as their primary means of transportation, as my odds of being killed because of something like this are much higher than a car driver.

Edit: Just wanted to add that I DO think that there should be some basic emissions standards and inspection, but in CA it has gone way, way too far.
You can lane split though! I feel you, CA is paradise in a lot of ways but regulation is gonna sink the state to the ocean. I'm sorry you gotta deal with that, be safe and the cruiser should keep you safer! Haha

I'm going to buy a fuel tank from a '91 to put into my '93. Im a few minutes away from the guys house. Are they compatible? Does anyone know?

... there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO inspection of enforcement of safety standards. They care so much about emissions but do nothing for actual safety equipment. I see people running tires that look like racing slicks, cars with no third brake light, no brake lights at all, airbag lights on, and the list goes on. And at least in LA, none of this stuff is enforced at all...

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I moved here from Texas 2 years ago and this was one of the things that blew my mind and set me off on a rant more than once. Back in Texas they check smog (in the big city counties only) just like California until a car is older than 25 years but they ALSO do a thorough check of all the safety equipment. Brakes, steering, tires, lights, horn, seat belts, you name it. You will fail for any of those things being out of order. I don't see the rolling hazards on the road back home like I do here. California's government is extremely myopic, literally nothing else matters except what comes out of the tail pipe. Oh, and by the way, a full vehicle inspection with a smog check back home is like $25, not $69. In fairness, it kinda evens out because that was an annual check whereas CA is bi-annual unless you get put on the state badguy list for flunking a test. By the time I move back I'll be smog exempt, so it'll be down to $10 I think (been a decade since I had a smog exempt vehicle).

Back on the thread topic, if you want a new set of third row seats in slightly better shape I have a set in the garage that I'll probably never use again. Let me know if you're interested, I'm near LAX.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I moved here from Texas 2 years ago and this was one of the things that blew my mind and set me off on a rant more than once. Back in Texas they check smog (in the big city counties only) just like California until a car is older than 25 years but they ALSO do a thorough check of all the safety equipment. Brakes, steering, tires, lights, horn, seat belts, you name it. You will fail for any of those things being out of order. I don't see the rolling hazards on the road back home like I do here. California's government is extremely myopic, literally nothing else matters except what comes out of the tail pipe. Oh, and by the way, a full vehicle inspection with a smog check back home is like $25, not $69. In fairness, it kinda evens out because that was an annual check whereas CA is bi-annual unless you get put on the state badguy list for flunking a test. By the time I move back I'll be smog exempt, so it'll be down to $10 I think (been a decade since I had a smog exempt vehicle).

Back on the thread topic, if you want a new set of third row seats in slightly better shape I have a set in the garage that I'll probably never use again. Let me know if you're interested, I'm near LAX.
Seat color?

I'm going to buy a fuel tank from a '91 to put into my '93. Im a few minutes away from the guys house. Are they compatible? Does anyone know?
Yes, they are the same but you must swap fuel pumps.

Dude!

What's mine say?

Sweet!

What's mine say?

Dude!

What's mine say?

Sweet!

What's mine say?

Congrats on the purchase, I have a set of reupholstered power front seats that came with my landcruiser when I purchased them, They only need the small seat belt portion that you can pick up from a junk yard. I live in SO CAL south of Palm springs, Im at work right now, here is MY number text me if you want pictures, they just taking up room in my garage, ill cut you a sweet deal.

Seat color?

Gray, I think they may be the same or slightly lighter than what you showed. They're from a '95, unsure if Toyota changed their gray leather color over the years. Yours look slightly darker in your 3rd row seat photo. Not sure what a fair price is, I don't see myself using them any time soon and I don't wanna tote them around every time I move for the next 10 years. The wheel well brackets the seats mount to would not be included, I'm using them as tie-downs for my sleeping platform.

I also have a stock front bumper taking up space. It has a few scuffs and it doesn't have the chrome that came on the earlier bumpers but it could be a slight upgrade for you. I was planning to throw it out, but it's yours free if you want, regardless of your interest in the seats.

I can take some pictures this weekend if you're interested in either.

Edit: This offer was directed at @ucmikej originally, got confused on who OP was. I am open to other folks too though.

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase, I have a set of reupholstered power front seats that came with my landcruiser when I purchased them, They only need the small seat belt portion that you can pick up from a junk yard. I live in SO CAL south of Palm springs, Im at work right now, here is MY number text me if you want pictures, they just taking up room in my garage, ill cut you a sweet deal.
I messaged you with my #.

Gray, I think they may be the same or slightly lighter than what you showed. They're from a '95, unsure if Toyota changed their gray leather color over the years. Yours look slightly darker in your 3rd row seat photo. Not sure what a fair price is, I don't see myself using them any time soon and I don't wanna tote them around every time I move for the next 10 years. The wheel well brackets the seats mount to would not be included, I'm using them as tie-downs for my sleeping platform.

I also have a stock front bumper taking up space. It has a few scuffs and it doesn't have the chrome that came on the earlier bumpers but it could be a slight upgrade for you. I was planning to throw it out, but it's yours free if you want, regardless of your interest in the seats.

I can take some pictures this weekend if you're interested in either.

Edit: This offer was directed at @ucmikej originally, got confused on who OP was. I am open to other folks too though.
Thanks for the offer, I'm ok with my 3rd row seats. Not sure I'll ever use the third row seats. I'm really looking for two front seats. Thanks.

It's took me a while but finally went to get the smog test after installing a new fuel tank, fuel pump, (i couldn't reach the fuel filter, so that's pending), spark plugs and wires, oil filter, air filter and changing the engine oil....and still FAILED. I thought the distributor rotor and cap were fine but I've ordered those from toyota and hope this solves the issue. Turns out the vehicle burns too much gas when its idle.

15897840145046196563695197659004.jpg

It's took me a while but finally went to get the smog test after installing a new fuel tank, fuel pump, (i couldn't reach the fuel filter, so that's pending), spark plugs and wires, oil filter, air filter and changing the engine oil....and still FAILED. I thought the distributor rotor and cap were fine but I've ordered those from toyota and hope this solves the issue. Turns out the vehicle burns too much gas when its idle.
Ur idle speed is a little high. Also check ur timing, make sure is around 12 at idle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom