Locker questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rkymtnflyfisher

Trout Bum
Threads
I have two Lock Right ish lockers that I pulled from a parts rig a couple of years ago that I may be using in my rig due to some unforeseen circumstances. While test fitting the locker in my rear diff I noticed these two caps that fit inside of the body of the locker, my question here is, are these two caps for the front diff in absence of the two c clips? Or am I missing something else altogether?
20200517_163307.jpg

other way around.
in the rear due to the C-clips. they keep the axle from moving inboard and allowing the clips to drop out.
absent in a full float axle, as there is no need for them.

Thank you @brian sounds like a pain in the ass.

Now I'm rethinking myself...I put both of them in when I through one in my front rear on the bench....looks like I get to remove them now.

???

Been twenty six years since I installed these in my 68 FJ40. The inner half of the locker is spring loaded. These caps are uses to be sure the pinion shaft is always applying pressure on the inner axle shafts even with the inner part of the locker moves in and out. Like I say been a long time since I been inside of mine but logic says that is their purpose. Front inner axle is kept in place on the outer end so not needed.

disregard me. apparently beer has an adverse effect on me.....those caps are required front or rear full floater or semi floater.

My problem is that I only have two of them for both lockers, it makes sense for them to be in the rear to keep the c clips in place.

disregard me. apparently beer has an adverse effect on me.....those caps are required front or rear full floater or semi floater.

As I remember beside the springs that work to push the two pieces of the cog apart there are also solid pins that kept the two halves aligned. If not for those pins would sayay need them in the front. But the cutout is wider than the inner axle, it's cutout the size of the C clip so would allow some movement of the halves. Pins hold them in alignment with each other.

Aren't they just like the aussie lockers?
Caps inside. C clips sit in them when installed.

Actually the other way around, Aussie locker are like the Lock Right unless the Aussies were around first just not in the US. Bought a set back in the nineties and believe they had been around for awhile by then. Believe Lock Right are the only ones to make these for coarse spline axles like my 68 has.

That's what it is looking like, it definitely makes sense to me now that the caps are there to hd the c clips in place.

If you want to watch a really detailed install check out this chick.
I used this video when I put my rear aussie locker in my full floater and it was super helpful. It was exactly the same as the semi but without the c clips.

When I did mine a few years ago, I had read that the gaps were very important. I got several sized shims from $OR and set them right on the tight end of the range they specify. Actually, just very slightly tighter. When checking the gap, you only need to install shims , part numbers 1 & 3 and the center pin noted in pic below.

Lock Right002.jpg

Here a few links. "LINK # 1" "LINK # 2"

If you want to watch a really detailed install check out this chick.
I used this video when I put my rear aussie locker in my full floater and it was super helpful. It was exactly the same as the semi but without the c clips.

Link?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom