Builds 1985 JDM 3B Engine Rebuild and Other Stories (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple Green, wash, repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

3061A8CD-4A4B-41EC-940D-16D229796F27.jpeg
218B51BC-B4D9-4CED-AB6A-5E025C7FC6FE.jpeg
6AAC8824-7F47-41BF-9EFD-E3650F943891.jpeg

Funny how things go from a simple engine rebuild to almost a restoration!
Can't wait to see this when done.

You are really putting forth the effort to do great work on your ride.
I’m definitely not a materials/structural/coatings engineer so I don’t really know to be honest. The above explanation sounds quite good. :lol:

I do know that body panels come primered black, some parts that weld to frames are primered black and some are primered a grayish-taupe color (body mounts for example) and some things like door strikers and hinges are cadmium plated (rear door hinges are also the same cadmium plated style).

Funny though at the factory they are all dipped/painted at the same time regardless it seems the material used for construction.
If you really want it clean renting a steam cleaner is the way to go. Boiling hot water with degreaser at 3000psi does wonders.....
On a regular pressure washer the needle tip Sprayer, not the spinning tip, but straight needle is really good for taking off caked on muck.

Less boxes of parts taking room in the garage when he is done because it will be on the truck. May have room for a horse stall in the garage. The upsides. Have him carry on, manwich and beer in hand.

"some pieces"

Lol. Looking good Onur. When are you going to burn in the new crossmember? It amazes me that toyota supplies those frame pieces, and made in a way that makes the job easy.

I just kept taking pieces off. :lol:

The truck is basically an erector set anyway.

And of course found rust in the usual footwells on both sides. Not rusted through luckily. So clean up and condition.

1710D095-8542-4F64-B0B9-DBDD55535494.jpeg

6319F9A1-2DA9-4A8C-933A-7DAAAC740B18.jpeg

Back lower doors off and stripped/cleaned.

FCA3EE76-158D-4E90-9F30-CE4A4D8A2A49.jpeg

0B8654A2-D173-4388-AC74-7457FDADC3F1.jpeg

5C6B6F3C-82A5-454B-B277-D48B7506CFFC.jpeg

Your still need to swap the dash to grey, right?

Yessir. Been collecting parts for the swap since 2015. :)
At least that’s the easy part. I got my interior dress rehearsal out of the way.

yeah bro...

Since you have it all apart and you live up North with salty roads I highly recommend the following for protecting/encapsulating steel: Rust converter like POR15 followed by Coal epoxy ( Amazon product ASIN B007IBTHOY) . Coal tar epoxy is used to paint ships/oil rigs and other steel things in the marine environment. I don't think there is anything better...........For inside body panels and places you can't get to to brush/spray asphalt roof cement(sovent based) thinned with mineral spirits can be sprayed in with a garden sprayer and gives a good durable and thick coating, but forever a slight bit tacky. The roof cement/mineral spirits is dirt cheap in comparison to the epoxy. The epoxy is durable for floorboards etc,.. Places that don't need a durable finish are probably just as well served by the Asphalt coating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom