Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (26 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

No it's a 73. While don't see them I have the one year only reverse light, bows, doors and correct headrests. In July will have owned it twenty six years and have never started the engine. This one really tested how strong a marriage we have. I had just bought a FJ40 a month before when someone who heard I had a FJ40 offered to sell me this one for $1K. Was a complete fluke but honestly what happened. Right place at the right time.

I drove mine to 190,500 miles this week, vacuumed it and checked the air pressure in all 5 tires. Tried to order new speaker foam but a no-go from the vendor. Washed the pink flag on my CB antenna for the first time since Death Valley 2016. Fresh and clean. I do not like lock down... nomads need to move about.

I picked up my disc brakes from Tim Hill now i just have to wait on brake master cylinder and calipers

How about Sequoia? Your Sequoia will go everywhere a 80 goes :)

So you're sayin' he doesn't take his rig out anywhere? hahahahhaa, clever, in jest. Zona

An impulse buy that popped up locally; I added a 97 40th to the family. I was without a Cruiser for 7 months. I tried to stay away, buuuut...

It already has a small lift and caster correction. It is a driver as is, but needs some special touches.

I already removed the running boards, and will assess the condition of the rear sleeping platform and drawers. Has a decent front winch bumper already. I'd love to find some flares for it. Needs new seat leather, antenna, bigger rubber, the usual. 236k

My first 80 ('92) was dubbed Coconino. The second 80 ('97) was Kaibab. Now what to name the 3rd. Hmmmm? Tonto was already taken (Tim and Kelsey) . So I'm open to other Forest name suggestions 😁

View attachment 2286779

View attachment 2286780

View attachment 2286782

View attachment 2286783
How about Sierra? or Tontozona? Chiricahua? Dragoon? Gila? Vernon? Concho? Potato? Mazatzal?

Zona

How about Sierra? or Tontozona? Chiricahua? Dragoon? Gila? Vernon? Concho? Potato? Mazatzal?

Zona
I vote Potato, we have a pigeon named Potato. :p

So far, Mogollon and Gila are my favorites. But, I haven't decided.

I've done some of the Toyota Espanol custom badges for my last 2 80's, but that program is discontinued... I hope they do it again.

I've done some of the Toyota Espanol custom badges for my last 2 80's, but that program is discontinued... I hope they do it again.

I've had my "Otter" badge for a while. Never put it on. Two trucks later, maybe I will. Should've got "Stabwell"but I have that on the license plate.

I've had my "Otter" badge for a while. Never put it on. Two trucks later, maybe I will. Should've got "Stabwell"but I have that on the license plate.

"Badges, what badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

When you put it on please post a pic, I'd like to see it.

Zona

When are you going to announce what the name is?

Zona

Raised up the spare tire on my 100 today. Only able to raise it an inch since the charcoal canister is above the spare on the 04s, but I'll take what I can get.

IMG_20200511_191402.jpg

Also spent some time designing a new fridge and drawer setup. Currently on version 2. Keep finding things to tweak. This might be the final. Plenty of quarantine time to finalize it.

IMG_20200509_220433.jpg

Last edited:
Installed my new dometic cfx3 45 and slide. Looks pretty much the same as my old cfx 50 setup, only now I have 3" more of interior width and I can open the fridge lid without it running into the kitchen. Plus, I cleaned the carpet and finally welded on some rear recovery points.

IMG_20200509_210644659.jpg
IMG_20200509_210954066.jpg
IMG_20200509_214621106.jpg

"Badges, what badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Zona
I'm surprised you beat saddle tramp to that quote! Lol

Did you make it all the way to the young road? I was in there shortly after the fire and it was impassable a few miles south of PB cabin.
The reason I went was that I was told it was not passable. ;) Yes but I didnt pop up on the 288 road after the cabin. I dropped back down into Cherry Creek and came into Young from the East side around Cherry Creek Lodge. The road has a lot of damage with needed exciting bypasses in the deep switchbacks where the road no longer exists.

New oil pressure sending unit needed. Fixed. Solid at the 1/4 line again :)

20200510_123943.jpg

20200512_170253.jpg

Ordered a blue clutch from rock auto, drained and filled with 20,000. I did not adjust the temperature on the blue clutch. Removed the black clutch with 260k miles on it that still had good resistance to manual spinning. Noticed a big strain on the engine and no difference in my ac temps at idle. I put the black clutch back in and it drives better. Ac temps are cooler, but this week has been much cooler ambient temps. I ordered some 10,000 to try in the blue clutch maybe that will be better.
I have no over heating issues with Black clutch, I was hoping the better ac in traffic.

51FD657D-D60B-4562-990E-6CC6F35DB683.jpeg

C456337D-7C4F-4BD5-8D9D-906B2810C7E2.jpeg

Ordered a blue clutch from rock auto, drained and filled with 20,000. I did not adjust the temperature on the blue clutch. Removed the black clutch with 260k miles on it that still had good resistance to manual spinning. Noticed a big strain on the engine and no difference in my ac temps at idle. I put the black clutch back in and it drives better. Ac temps are cooler, but this week has been much cooler ambient temps. I ordered some 10,000 to try in the blue clutch maybe that will be better.
I have no over heating issues with Black clutch, I was hoping the better ac in traffic.

View attachment 2305536

View attachment 2305542

Did you fill with the same amount of oil that you drained?

From all of my reading, 10-12k cst works best in the new blue hub. If your black hub is working properly, I would change the fluid in that and run it - they are much stronger.

You sure your AC has a proper charge and no other issues?

I adjusted my older blue hub from 135f to 105f and tested it today, it still lacks at idle. I am going to work on my old black hub once the silicone shows up.

Just panic-purchased an '07 GX470 today. Been looking for a daily driver and settled on the GX because I wanted a little variety in the fleet... Found this one on CarGurus app, researched it on the Lexus site, and pulled the trigger today.

~116K miles
Timing belt/water pump (by Lexus) ~95K miles
Silver (my absolute favorite color for anything Toyota is white)

Now, I can truly drive my 80-Series when I want to, versus when I have to. Leaves some buffer to save up the dough that I'll need to eventually rebuild the motor. I was quoted somewhere in the neighborhood of $15 - $16K, all told, to rebuild. Does that sound right?

So, I'll be slapping a CSC sticker on the rear window on Friday when I retrieve my new whip. Keep an eye out.

Any plan for a monthly meeting anytime soon?

1589433033773.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom