Engine Cutting Out (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 FJ80 with the 3FE inline 6. I've been having issues lately where the engine cuts out, shudders, backfires or dies when I'm driving. It happens for about 10 seconds and kicks back on again. Seems to be agrivated when the engine is warm. Haven't had issues before, but I just got it and handn't driven it but in the neighborhood due to me doing repairs. I had an electrical issue, which I think was the neutral safety switch, but its running again now. Unfortunately, it's now running worse and cutting out more often even a low speeds. New spark plugs, coil, wires, checked grounds. Thanks!

Check the distributor rotor button not burning out. They will run like this for years and just gradually get worse.

So I replaced both MAF sensor and distributor cap and rotor, no change

Start here with diagnostics.

Follow his info to the tee.

Later, he may chime in. @jonheld

I have a 91 FJ80 with the 3FE inline 6. I've been having issues lately where the engine cuts out, shudders, backfires or dies when I'm driving. It happens for about 10 seconds and kicks back on again. Seems to be agrivated when the engine is warm. Haven't had issues before, but I just got it and handn't driven it but in the neighborhood due to me doing repairs. I had an electrical issue, which I think was the neutral safety switch, but its running again now. Unfortunately, it's now running worse and cutting out more often even a low speeds. New spark plugs, coil, wires, checked grounds. Thanks!
Please check the intake plenum for tears or cracks between the AFM and the throttle body.
Make sure the clamps are tight.
Make sure the oil fill cap is secure.
Any unmetered air entering the system will play havoc with the A/F ratio.

When it stalls, does it fire back up right away?

Please check the intake plenum for tears or cracks between the AFM and the throttle body.
Make sure the clamps are tight.
Make sure the oil fill cap is secure.
Any unmetered air entering the system will play havoc with the A/F ratio.

When it stalls, does it fire back up right away?
So yes, when going down the highway, it would cut out for 10 seconds and the shudder on and off before continuing. After the coil and spark plugs, I got it to run but poorly. It was cutting out more often, but less intensely.

Just noticed that there is on check engine light

Not just "ON", but in the "RUN" position.

There SHOULD be a CEL in the RUN position.

So yes, when going down the highway, it would cut out for 10 seconds and the shudder on and off before continuing. After the coil and spark plugs, I got it to run but poorly. It was cutting out more often, but less intensely.
Does it idle well with no load in park?

I can't even get it to fire now. I checked the spark off the ignition coil with one of those inline spark plug testers and grounded it. Still nothing

Also, is this a new issue? Was it running fine one day then bad the next, or was it a gradual thing?
It was running last week and before, seemed to only have issues when engine was hot. Then wouldn't start at all. Replaced everything above and got it to run, but performed poorly at all speeds this time.

any chance to post this PDF as a file? The link isn't working. thanks
Link works for me.
Here is an updated version that I haven't posted to the site yet.

Attachments

• Diagnostic Procedure For EFI Related Woe And Strife.pdf
    295.7 KB · Views: 86
So I threw in the towel and took it to a mechanic. It was a combination of one of the distributor coils that was bad and a bad ignition module. Hoping that if someone else has this issue, this thread may help point them in the right direction

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom