FJ60 sound proofing and carpet install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@here - Great thread. Thanks to all!

@jjones - I also have grey interior and just bought the same carpet kit (but from @dnp). So, thanks, very inspirational. My seats are in similar (good) condition. I think. Been covered with seat covers from SOR for 10+ years!

@pumbaatx - Sounds/looks like you did not do doors (or cargo side panels) based on pictures? Thinking of sq ft here. Thanks for the offer. May take you up on it (though I'm on the conservative side in regards to the distancing thing). I'm near downtown, btw. Clarksville. Yes, saw those STC #'s. Oddly, hard for find for the Noico products to compare. Need to think about temp insulation. Maybe important. However, I also put about 1k/yr on the truck now...Yes, I live downtown, we have 4 vehicles and I work from home. Easier to buy than sell...

Apparently there are really just a few manufactures for MLV, lots of distributors and resellers. Here is another one I found with pretty good pricing on 1/lb and 2/lb MLV (and lots of other materials for auto, home, etc.)

Thanks again everyone and good to see the ATX contingent still strong. 10 years ago, when I bought mine I found a great group, we did some meet-ups/tune-ups, I even had someone I didn't know voluntarily take parts to my mechanic installing the 5-spd after I posted a question about the shift and linkage. He even posted photos of my vehicle on the rack all in about 45 minutes of me posting! Pretty cool.

Someone just hit me up with an email about this thread, which I have not looked at for a while. I'm pleased that it was helpful and that others have added to the information. Love this board.

After a year or so driving the rig, I've noticed sound coming from the rear quarter panels. Its not bad, but it is noticeable. In a few weeks I plan to go and add butyl to the inside of the quarter panels, likely covering the OE stuff and more. I won't be obsessive like I was on the floors. Its not necessary to coat everything with butyl. Then, I'll add the Noico foam over it, including the back of the FJ60 fiberboard. A curtain of MLV in that compartment will be the final touch. I think that will help a lot. I'll post pics.

Otherwise....the interior sound has been great since install and we have no regrets. Good luck to others as they dig in.

@AustinBear One thing to consider when thinking of sq ft for the MLV is that most suppliers are saying it isn't good for vertical application, so that knocks out doors and quarter panels. It is quite heavy, and at least the kind I bought was not adhesive backed. I ended up using 2 cans of (quite expensive ~$25/can) 3M trim spray adhesive, but it certainly would not hold while the adhesive dries vertically.

IMG_1599.jpg
IMG_1601.jpg
IMG_1600.jpg
IMG_1603.jpg

All with conveniently cropped out rips in my driver's seat!

I'll bet that is 100% quieter, but man you guys laying this sound deadener wall to wall 100% coverage makes me nervous for any moisture retention, especially up to the edges of the floor and adjacent panels, and on the outer panel skin.

From what I recall the butyl/foil stuff doesn't need complete coverage, just a patchwork of big chunks to deaden large panels, with some room to 'breathe' in between. For example, I used the old quiet crap inside my four doors stuck to the outer skin. The 60/62 doors are basically divided into three sections (top, middle, bottom). I cut 3 big rectangles of material sized for each section to cover maybe 2/3 of the section...lots of room for the panels to 'breathe'. The smaller rectangles were also a helluva lot easier to manage while sticking it on.
Then completely covered the inside of the door cards with thin Ensolite CC foam sheets. The ensolite compresses nicely at contact points to the inner door frame.
My doors sound like a bank vault when they close or when tapped on from the outside.

The only thing I'll completely cover with butyl is the rear wheel well humps, but will leave at least 1/2" open at the edges.

@pumbaatx Good point. Thanks. Maybe just butyl and foam in doors...

@AustinBear One thing to consider when thinking of sq ft for the MLV is that most suppliers are saying it isn't good for vertical application, so that knocks out doors and quarter panels. It is quite heavy, and at least the kind I bought was not adhesive backed. I ended up using 2 cans of (quite expensive ~$25/can) 3M trim spray adhesive, but it certainly would not hold while the adhesive dries vertically.

@Skniper - Have been wondering same - moisture retention/trapping.

And, yes, have read same - butyl in "patches" in key areas. It's just a weight. MLV is what needs to have 100% coverage so sound does not seep. Of course, back to your moisture comment.

@anyone - any success with just butyl and foam (for sound absorption/attenuation rather than blocking with MLV). Must be much better than stock, but wondering how much. I need to decide quickly, carpet gets here today! :clap:

...but man you guys laying this sound deadener wall to wall 100% coverage makes me nervous for any moisture retention, especially up to the edges of the floor and adjacent panels, and on the outer panel skin...

If anyone was waiting, Second Skin is running a 15% off sale this weekend (HONOR15). Might be a good time to pick up the MLV/Open Cell Foam Combo (Luxury Liner Pro). I don't have any affiliation with them, just a pleased customer!

@pumbaatx Thanks for the heads-up. Since you indicate only 54 sq ft needed, I decided to pull the trigger - just ordered the LLPro. Will use that over the Noico 80 mil on floor/cargo floor, Noico 80 mil in doors and maybe a little Noico red 150 mil in doors just to dampen any rattles if it looks like it could help there. Will do a pre-drive, too, to listen a bit.

Thanks again for the heads-up

If anyone was waiting, Second Skin is running a 15% off sale this weekend (HONOR15). Might be a good time to pick up the MLV/Open Cell Foam Combo (Luxury Liner Pro). I don't have any affiliation with them, just a pleased customer!

Took the poor man's route and remove my interior, pressure washed carpet and reinstalled after putting down Kilmat 80mil and Noico red 150.
Didn't feel like the investment in the new carpet was worth it, as it has been said before here this thing isn't going to a museum or BAT. I happy with sound proofing and restoration of carpet.
After pressure washing we hung carpet on a line and banged additional dirt out for another 20 minutes amazing what 30 year old carpet will hold
1590351441411.png

1590351631617.png

1590375488219.png

1590375715195.png

1590351787103.png

Took the poor man's route and remove my interior, pressure washed carpet and reinstalled after putting down Kilmat 80mil and Noico red 150.
Didn't feel like the investment in the new carpet was worth it, as it has been said before here this thing isn't going to a museum or BAT. I happy with sound proofing and restoration of carpet.
After pressure washing we hung carpet on a line and banged additional dirt out for another 20 minutes amazing what 30 year old carpet will hold
View attachment 2317582
View attachment 2317586
View attachment 2317963
View attachment 2317964

View attachment 2317588

How much sound did this lessen? Looking to do this soon so any suggestions would be appreciated.

@Built4Camp I wish i could say it was like driving a Rolls just more dependable. I only noticed a little difference with noise and heat, but I think this project is worth it because you can inspect covered up areas for rust and really freshen up interior.
I think the MLV is the way to go on this as well.

@Built4Camp I wish i could say it was like driving a Rolls just more dependable. I only noticed a little difference with noise and heat, but I think this project is worth it because you can inspect covered up areas for rust and really freshen up interior.
That’s disappointing to hear. They advertise the red 150 as a good sound reducer.
I thought it was MLV.....

Nice work. Be proud!

Samj,
I just finished the same Kilmat and Noico combo a few days ago and noticed a Noise difference. Its certainly not like a new car in there but significantly quieter to me at least. Did the kilmat in the doors and replaced my door seals. Added in some Procar Elites and a wild horses console - and kept the center heater on my 62. Feels new to me! I’d be curious how much better folks say MLV is that our lay down. Agree on your point that the investment is worth it. You get to inspect and ensure you don’t have any rust going on. Great job. Enjoy!

9551FCB3-D036-4B13-8761-D565D41FF236.jpeg

F042E0EF-95A5-4EFA-9155-43BC15622B34.jpeg

460A5FA4-F751-4847-8B82-26BE215BA12D.jpeg

36901096-35BD-441C-8706-7EB5AFDCDEC9.jpeg

D8140159-6CA4-499B-88D9-FCB377848E52.jpeg

Is there a reason why people are not opting for a spray on sound deadener like Second Skin? I've read that's the bee's knees when it comes to killing sound.

I'm still in my research phase at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom