FJ60 sound proofing and carpet install (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How do you compare the Dynamat to the Butyl/foil back product? Ordering carpeting and need to decide what to do about sound deadening. Unlike the OP, I don't find my 60 to be quiet at all.

I put dynamat down on the floor years ago. I just installed the Butyl/foil backed style just like this, partial coverage, in the doors. And I just ordered 1/2" thick closed cell foam (no moisture trapping) for the floor and some more of the foil backed first layer to apply in the rear quarter panels and a few other places to really quiet everything down.

Also thinking about adding a small 2 channel amp and installing the extra/matching set of 6x9's that I have to make a 6 speaker sound system. What's another $100 for an amp and wiring, right?

Last edited:
Thank you for the super informative post!! I never had any intention of replacing the carpet in my '85 cruiser, which is in pretty bad shape. I am not sure if the frame and body are worth the cost and effort. However, after reading through this thread I am now considering it. Mostly because I recently found myself with unlimited time on my hands and the experience of tearing apart the inside would be extremely beneficial for future builds. My boyfriend will be super excited to hear what I came up with today when he gets home from work. :rofl::rofl::bang: Luckily, he is a "Vanner" and has had experience with such things. Although, I made him a promise yesterday to do my very best to avoid creating problems for him to fix when he gets home; after I ran over a piece of re-bar with the tiller yesterday:frown:

How do you compare the Dynamat to the Butyl/foil back product? Ordering carpeting and need to decide what to do about sound deadening. Unlike the OP, I don't find my 60 to be quiet at all.

I went way overkill on my sound deadening this weekend under my new carpet install - I didn't even find my cruiser to be that loud to begin with but 🤷‍♂️ . I put down a layer of Noico 80 mil butyl deadener, then a layer of Second Skin Luxury Liner Pro (I took inspiration from the guys at Car Builders Australia and their Mass Noise Vinyl), then installed carpet over the top. HOLY CRAP, my 60 is quiet as a mouse! The engine is about the only thing I can hear anymore, and even that is heavily muffled from inside.

Pro Tip, thanks @vtcruiser60 : Get a hot knife (Harbor Freight) for when you are cutting carpet and foam. That thing was a life saver!

Last edited:
Great writeup! I have some of the 80 mil Noico for rattle damping but hadn't thought about adding MLV over the whole top. Do you recommend the Luxury Liner Pro after having installed it?

I recently ordered the Noico Red 150 mil for my truck to put over 80 mil Kilmat. Now I am wishing i ordered the MLV!

@pumbaatx - Thanks for the info. I'll check out those products. Did you install yourself or have someone do it. If the latter, who and were you satisfied? I'm also here in ATX.

I recently ordered the Noico Red 150 mil for my truck to put over 80 mil Kilmat. Now I am wishing i ordered the MLV!
I just did this exact project a couple of weeks ago and used the 150mil over kilmat 80. I think you'll be happy with the end result. The cruiser is almost as quiet as my 4th gen 4runner!

Last edited:
I looked at the Luxury Liner Pro product. It's expensive, though I'm sure effective. It's about $478 for 72 sq. ft, which is about what I understand is needed for an FJ60. Does that sound right?

I am finding plenty of alternative brands for MLV. As I read through different sites, it appears it really comes down to one spec for me - STC (SoundTransmission Coefficient). The higher the STC, the less sound transmission.

The Luxury Liner Pro product is rated at 28 STC per their website (and appears to be cheaper there than on Amazon). However, the Luxury Liner product is rated at 32 STC (higher), but is only 60% of the cost. Am I missing something, now that I'm a 5 minute Google expert?

I can't find an STC (or NRC) rating for Noico Red 150 mil. I was hoping to compare that to the Second Skin product and do the 80 mil Noico plus the Luxury liner or the Noico 150 mil red.

@jjones did you cover entire floor board with kilmat 80 mil and then cover all that with Noico Red 150? I currently have front foot 1/3 of truck covered with kilmat and can’t decide if I want to spend another $100 covering the rest of the truck.

F3D7A453-1F31-4614-8D40-66BCBA06EDEA.jpeg

8325F7CE-50D9-4D23-AD9F-0E3C8A1C1A46.jpeg

IMG_1581.jpg

I actually ended up doing a layer of MLV over the tops of the wheel wells before I finished installing the carpet.
IMG_1583.jpg

Great writeup! I have some of the 80 mil Noico for rattle damping but hadn't thought about adding MLV over the whole top. Do you recommend the Luxury Liner Pro after having installed it?
I don't have anything else to compare it to as this is the first time I have sound proofed a car myself, but I am very happy with my results!

@pumbaatx - Thanks for the info. I'll check out those products. Did you install yourself or have someone do it. If the latter, who and were you satisfied? I'm also here in ATX.
I installed myself. I spent a few of hours pulling seats and cleaning the old jute cloth out, pretty much a full day installing the butyl layer and MLV, and another full day cutting and installing the carpet before putting seats and such back in. I think I did a pretty bang up job. I'll go grab some pictures of the carpet itself at lunch.

I looked at the Luxury Liner Pro product. It's expensive, though I'm sure effective. It's about $478 for 72 sq. ft, which is about what I understand is needed for an FJ60. Does that sound right?

I am finding plenty of alternative brands for MLV. As I read through different sites, it appears it really comes down to one spec for me - STC (SoundTransmission Coefficient). The higher the STC, the less sound transmission.

The Luxury Liner Pro product is rated at 28 STC per their website (and appears to be cheaper there than on Amazon). However, the Luxury Liner product is rated at 32 STC (higher), but is only 60% of the cost. Am I missing something, now that I'm a 5 minute Google expert?

I can't find an STC (or NRC) rating for Noico Red 150 mil. I was hoping to compare that to the Second Skin product and do the 80 mil Noico plus the Luxury liner or the Noico 150 mil red.
I only bought 54 sq ft of the MLV, which was plenty - I even had about 4-5 sq ft left over. Second Skin was running a 20% off sale when I bought it so I got out for $302 shipped. I did buy 72 sq ft of the butyl, but only used 2 sheets out of the 4th box. You could probably get away with only 3 boxes.

I did look around a bit when I was looking at the stuff from Car Builders Australia. The reason I settled on Second Skin was that their Luxury Liner Pro, like the Car Builders product, was an MLV backed with open cell foam. With just the MLV (standard Luxury Liner), you can get out a good bit cheaper, but according to what I read, you still need another layer of open cell foam. It is entirely possible that all of this is overkill, but it sure is quiet. @AustinBear you're welcome to come check it out and ride around to see if its something you're interested in.

Last edited:
sub'd for future reference.
Thanks for a great thread.

@AustinBear As for the STC:
Luxury Liner (1lb MLV - $40): 26
Luxury Liner (2lb MLV - $60): 32
Luxury Liner Pro (1.25lb MLV, Open Cell Foam - $70): 28

Luxury Liner Pro also seems to be pointing our temperature insulation - pretty important in the great state of Texas! - while the Luxury Liner does not.

@jjones did you cover entire floor board with kilmat 80 mil and then cover all that with Noico Red 150? I currently have front foot 1/3 of truck covered with kilmat and can’t decide if I want to spend another $100 covering the rest of the truck.
Personally I would - I mean, you already have everything out and I find it's better go overboard and do it once than redoing it again later.

Personally I would - I mean, you already have everything out and I find it's better go overboard and do it once than redoing it again later.
I agree. Also, I imagine that front 1/3 of the truck is where most of the noise is coming in - or at least that's where you're sitting, so that's where you're going to hear it.

Here's some more inspirational photos. I saw this thread a few months ago and got some inspiration to do this to my own cruiser.

1. stripped out interior
2. removed oe sound deadener (tip: use computer air duster cans - don't shake, turn upside down, spray on, then shatter with rubber hammer, vacuum up.)
3. sanded off some surface rust, sprayed rust reformer, and then primed floor board.
4. applied kilmat 80mil everywhere! Floor, wheel wells, trans hump, doors, rear quarters
5. Applied 150 noico over every place I put the kilmat
6. Installed new carpet from @dnp

Doing this has made a huge difference on how the truck feels and sounds while driving. I think I could hear a mouse fart it's that quiet now. The only thing I really hear while driving is the engine but I still need to add the hood insulation wince I took mine off because it was all chewed up.

Kilmat 80 Mil:

_DSC4144.jpg

_DSC4138.jpg

_DSC4139.jpg

_DSC4141.jpg

_DSC4142.jpg

I agree. Also, I imagine that front 1/3 of the truck is where most of the noise is coming in - or at least that's where you're sitting, so that's where you're going to hear it.

Yeah trans hump and wheel wells will be the most important to cover in my opinion. Next would be the doors and rear quarters.

@jjones I'm jealous that your wheel well vinyl covers are still presentable. I like them better than the carpet that comes in the kits. Mine are just a bit too chewed up to look good next to the new carpet.

I'll be adding the doors and rear quarters when I tackle upholstery.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom