What did you do on your 70 series today? (38 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Did something very similar with a scrap of ABS plastic and new single din radio panel. Will be used for pyro, coolant temp, and space for an additional gauge.

auber install 01.jpg

auber install 03.jpg

auber install 04.jpg

Rebuilt front driver side knuckle and hub on my BJ73. When installing the caliper to finish the job I found that the top bolt’s female threads on the knuckle were stripped! So, it was a helicoil weekend for me. Check out the insert:

7EDE23A5-8BAB-48B8-9359-459E0808AA27.jpeg

After the rebuild, the car‘s handling improved drastically - likely because the old bearings were shot and loosey goosey. New Koyos in there now on knuckle and hub.

On to the passenger side soon..

Last edited:
Fooled around with the thermostat housing. The turbo and overflow connections were pretty corroded.
I used a soldering iron to tin the surfaces and fill in the worst.
These are After photos... I really need some liquid flux.

I might try again with the big soldering iron. I think propane torch is too uncontrollable.
1589302896378.png

Last edited:
I've been trying to find an approved method to add grease to the Front Drive Shaft universal joint - the joint closest to the transfer case. It is hard to find with the bash plate in situ. Even with the bash plate removed, my needle point Groz gun can't access the ball straight on. Apart from removing the complete drive shaft, is there any suggestions out there? Thanks all in advance. 89BJ74

I've been trying to find an approved method to add grease to the Front Drive Shaft universal joint - the joint closest to the transfer case. It is hard to find with the bash plate in situ. Even with the bash plate removed, my needle point Groz gun can't access the ball straight on. Apart from removing the complete drive shaft, is there any suggestions out there? Thanks all in advance. 89BJ74
Same maintenance done on my BJ71 and same question here. Was able to grease everything yesterday but the universal joint.

I did some restoration of trim hardware that, for a long time, I thought was a bit unsightly. You can probably just buy all this stuff new but I don't know what it would look like and waaay too bored.

Wish I took some before photos but I did photograph these two after from the grill, which I did together. They started with a light silverish base color, had some surface rust, scratching, and it looked like at some point a person ground off whatever they were plated or coated with originally and sprayed them in black. I gave them all a good clean, light polish, and then blued with oil quenching. I really like when the color of exposed trim hardware matches or accents the piece it's on but is done with a treatment process instead of painting, just a nice detail for any vehicle.

IMG_20200512_155758.jpg

IMG_20200512_172014~2.jpg

Knowing there was potential for me to slip and fall in the oil, I approached my truck with caution. :)
image.jpeg

Last edited:
I left a note under his windshield wiper suggesting in his case "social distancing" was a minimum of 100 yards.
image.jpeg

My wife pointed out that I don't need 2 trucks. I'm immediately asked for a divorce. She then pointed out that after the divorce I wouldn't have any trucks. I've asked for more time to review my position. :lol:
image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom