California Title and Registration of Diesels (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going to add my 2 cents:

Technically, California tried to close this loophole a couple years ago with this statement:

"No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards." I don't know how anyone is getting CARB to certify a grey market diesel when the DMV is pretty clear about this. Now, as many others have posted, that doesn't mean you can't get these things registered. I know more than a few people who have successfully done it with import Pajeros, Cruisers, Patrols, etc... It really comes down to how much your specific DMV is willing to hassle you.

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

1997 is the cut off year for diesel emissions EXEMPTION!

Vehicles Purchased From Out of the Country (Grey Market)

California has special requirements for vehicles imported from other countries (including Canada and Mexico). It may be very costly or impossible to modify these vehicles to meet California emission requirements and/or federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS). No direct import vehicle less than two years old can be converted to California emission standards. Not all direct import vehicles over two years old can be converted to California emission standards and FMVSS. No motorcycle or diesel-powered vehicle can be converted to California emission standards. For details, contact the California Air Resources Board (CARB).

1997 is the cut off year for diesel emissions EXEMPTION!

Yes, that is the cut off for US-spec vehicles, not grey market.

Again, "Motorcycles, off-highway vehicles, and diesel-powered vehicles cannot be converted to California emissions standards at this time. Therefore, they cannot be registered in California unless they were originally manufactured to meet U.S. and California emissions standards."

Less restrictions than Diesel models.

But why would anyone import a gas model which we already have here?
We want what we don't have.

I’m curious if an imported gas powered LC would be an option for CA residents

They are eligible, but you need to become CARB compliant to register in CA. That will cost you quite a bit of money (i've heard up to $10,000). The facility to do this is in Santa Ana...

Less restrictions than Diesel models.

But why would anyone import a gas model which we already have here?
We want what we don't have.
I would say something like a 1990 FJ73 would be even more difficult as there is no chance of the Pre-98 diesel smog test exemption.

Or just buy a LHD BJ73 that’s already registered as diesel in CA and not worry 😬

Personally I wouldn’t, but if someone really wants a 70 series and will throw out the money for CARB compliance it’s kind of the only option

I have to wonder how many 70 series that actually went through the CARB compliant process? Is there any post on any thread on any forum where someone actually took a 70 series and made it so?

My guess is that most, if not all are making the registration happen by luck, illegally, or got grandfathered in before California changed the game.

There are gas powered 70 series models

You would have to smog a gas model, and you would have to start with a USA block with a USA VIN attached. It becomes a BAR issue. They don't want to mess with diesels. In order to do this with a gas truck you would have to make it match a USA issued truck of the same year or newer, all the way down to EVAP. Not worth it in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom