Need to find some room for some amplifiers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a new Audio system, or at least planning it! Need to fins some amp spots.

I have a 2002 LC. Gonna do a Nav delete. I think the passenger seat has a 14 x10 or so area. There is an area where the CD changer is.

I'll be rebuilding the original sub. So that area will not change.

I need to find 2 more 10 x 10 areas for 2 amps. Was wondering what is behind those cargo walls in the back as far as open room is concerned.

Mine is still open from my audio install that was exactly a year ago so I snapped a pic. Putting the plastic cover back on is such a pain in the d*ck I haven’t gotten it done in the entire year and don’t plan on bothering with it any time soon. If you don’t have to take it off I wouldn’t recommend it. Also, there’s no room for something like an amp anyway.

4B6F49CA-289E-4D9E-8243-B22EB7AC6A6A.jpeg

My aftermarket amp is located in the passenger side of the trunk behind the panel. Opposite the sub.

Mine is still open from my audio install that was exactly a year ago so I snapped a pic. Putting the plastic cover back on is such a pain in the d*ck I haven’t gotten it done in the entire year and don’t plan on bothering with it any time soon. If you don’t have to take it off I wouldn’t recommend it. Also, there’s no room for something like an amp anyway.

View attachment 2300032

Thanx for that pic. Pulling those panels has me worried. I'm not the most subtle with plastic...

My aftermarket amp is located in the passenger side of the trunk behind the panel. Opposite the sub.

What amp? I need to fit 2 10x10 amps in there. That's my only play I think

View attachment 2300032

What is that Black box above the Jack?

Thanx for that pic. Pulling those panels has me worried. I'm not the most subtle with plastic...
Buy a set of these if you don't already have them. Amazon.com: Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Set of 5 Pcs: Automotive

There's not much space on the driver's side, but the passenger is pretty open, if I recall correctly.

Those panels are kinda a pain, but I've had them off more than a handful of times. The biggest pain for me is just emptying out the car so everything is out of the way.

I didn't hide any components for my last stereo, but I plan to this time around in the LX. That'll be a project for 2021, I think.

Buy a set of these if you don't already have them. Amazon.com: Tresalto Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit, Set of 5 Pcs: Automotive

There's not much space on the driver's side, but the passenger is pretty open, if I recall correctly.

Those panels are kinda a pain, but I've had them off more than a handful of times. The biggest pain for me is just emptying out the car so everything is out of the way.

I didn't hide any components for my last stereo, but I plan to this time around in the LX. That'll be a project for 2021, I think.

I got most of those, except the handled one which I think I need.

Got my key fob from you this week, so I got that goin' for me!

It’s the factory box for the sub, all one piece.

Wow, I just looked in that area. That sub is something else. When I redo the woofer in there, I think I am going to spend some time on that box with Dynamat.

There's quite a bit of space under the passenger seat. I fitted 2 amps there. The space extends outwards, under the outer seat rail, so you can stick one amp under there. Depending of the size and shape of them, of course.

There's quite a bit of space under the passenger seat. I fitted 2 amps there. The space extends outwards, under the outer seat rail, so you can stick one amp under there. Depending of the size and shape of them, of course.

I've got 3 amps. The amps are 10 x 9.5" also a SMALL DSP

If I were building up from scratch like you are planning to, I’d remove the sub woofer enclosure (its pretty much useless, replace with with a low profile 10” “hideaway” or self powered sub- really all you need is 4” of depth. Then with the left over space where the old enclosure was, put your other amps, fuses etc. You or an auto upholsterer could fab a nice backlit plexi or pleather covered access door into the trim facia; hinged or set in place with dzus fasteners. Get creative- I think theres plenty of space in that area.

The factory amp is located in there as well, under and to the side of the Nav DVD player.

If you’re putting all this effort into running amps, wires, power, ditch the factory sub. No good for anything, no offense intended it just would be a waste of your hard work. put your dsp on that side, I have my large crossovers mounted there.

I have an rockford fosgate (which is 15*2.25*9.625 inches) in my passenger side rear panel( I am assuming you have rear AC?) if not you'll have more room for another amp certainly.

I have an alpine Mono In my center console, which is 8-1/4"W x 2-3/16"H x 7-15/16"D so maybe your dsp could fit there. In another 100 I have a earthquake amp under the pass seat that is 13*2.75*9. You could go longer but it would need to have its terminals mounted on one of its long sides.

If I were building up from scratch like you are planning to, I’d remove the sub woofer enclosure (its pretty much useless, replace with with a low profile 10” “hideaway” or self powered sub- really all you need is 4” of depth. Then with the left over space where the old enclosure was, put your other amps, fuses etc. You or an auto upholsterer could fab a nice backlit plexi or pleather covered access door into the trim facia; hinged or set in place with dzus fasteners. Get creative- I think theres plenty of space in that area.

Hmmm, I'll rethink that one. I was planning on putting a JL 6.5" sub in the OEM enclosure after deadening the outside and maybe some polyfill inside.

If you’re putting all this effort into running amps, wires, power, ditch the factory sub. No good for anything, no offense intended it just would be a waste of your hard work. put your dsp on that side, I have my large crossovers mounted there.

I have an rockford fosgate (which is 15*2.25*9.625 inches) in my passenger side rear panel( I am assuming you have rear AC?) if not you'll have more room for another amp certainly.

I have an alpine Mono In my center console, which is 8-1/4"W x 2-3/16"H x 7-15/16"D so maybe your dsp could fit there. In another 100 I have a earthquake amp under the pass seat that is 13*2.75*9. You could go longer but it would need to have its terminals mounted on one of its long sides.

So here's what I was thinking about the factory sub and why I wanted to keep it. With the amps I am planing, I'll have two left over channels to run that sub. I'm putting in a separate 1400w sub amp to run a JL 12W7 Prowedge. So I can setup up DSP profiles so that if I want to remove the big sub cause I need the room, I can run the "refurbed" OEM sub as a sub down to 30 somethin' hz.

Then setup a profile when the big sub comes back in to only use the big sub and disable the OEM. Or another profile that runs the big sub as a sub and the OEM as a fast attack woofer from like 80-200hz. I'll have up to 30 profiles I can access at the spin of a knob. The 6.5" JL sub is pretty nice. The JBL folks made a nice enclosure. I understand you can "fix it"

I do have rear AC. I saw another LC build on DIY mobile that reworked that passenger cargo panel and put a sub in there and a massive Zapco amp, he didn't have ac. So I may redo that cover by cutting out the cubby holes to make some amp storage room.

Thanx for those reference numbers on what you've put in there! I've got three amps that are 10 x 9.5. The DSP is 7 x 7. But I need 12 channels clearance on it. Two channels in 12 out

Thanx for those reference numbers on what you've put in there! I've got three amps that are 10 x 9.5. The DSP is 7 x 7. But I need 12 channels clearance on it. Two channels in 12 out
Theres enough clearance for plenty of wires, but if you need access to make adjustments it can be difficult

I do have rear AC. I saw another LC build on DIY mobile that reworked that passenger cargo panel and put a sub in there and a massive Zapco amp, he didn't have ac. So I may redo that cover by cutting out the cubby holes to make some amp storage room.
Yes I should have mention I had to unscrew and remove my passenger cubbies. That DIYmobile one is insane. They modified the plastic panels It looks like to have more clearance behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom