Asymmetrical resistance on the A440F output shaft when hand torsion applied (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TexFJ

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm 85% done with my split case rebuild behind an A440F on my FJ62, while A440F remains on the LC.

After I put all the gears back on, I noticed that there is a lot more resistance spinning the gears in one direction than the other. Thought it was my thrust washer but that's in place. Finally I pulled the long spline input gear so it disconnected from the transfer gear (through the PTO window). The resistance matched hence it's not my Transfer gear set.

Question is IS THIS NORMAL on the A440F? I see the H55 guys spinning it without a problem, albeit off car.

I left the transmission side alone. Did I miss a step putting the front cover back on? I put the shim that came out back in, in between the tranny output bearing and the front cover.

I have to venture to get milk for the kids but I may get back and finish it off. Thought I'd check first before I potentially give myself other things to do on the transmission. Hopefully not.

0FF4E3A1-D6C9-4F24-8D1C-719B9E223DCB_1_105_c.jpeg

I used the long spline so that took the place of the PTO gear and spacer.

AFE22ABA-E176-434B-8164-79105567BFA8_1_105_c.jpeg

I just grabbed mine and I could feel a slight more resistance when turning clockwise. Not much but felt like some fluid resistance.

I have resistance both directions, but clockwise seems to have tightened up even more over night.

How hard was it rebuilding the transfer case was still attached to the A440F in the cruisers? Was the cruiser on a hoist? My transfer case leaks badly. Debating whether to put the combo or just the transfer case. Do not have a hoist but do have a two ton transmission jack.

On a side note I do find it interesting the FJ62 has a PTO gear when the one CAT prevents a PTO being installed. Especially since Toyota didn't install a PTO gead in most transfer cases mated to a four speed back to 1974.

On a side note I do find it interesting the FJ62 has a PTO gear when the one CAT prevents a PTO being installed. Especially since Toyota didn't install a PTO gead in most transfer cases mated to a four speed back to 1974.

.............or...............or........why they didn't keep putting that one wee little spot welded piece of metal bracket on the pedal bucket that holds the clutch pedal......yet there is still a relief space for it and the firewall is stamped for the clutch master and the trans hump has the access pan.....oh, hell........nevermind :bang:

How hard was it rebuilding the transfer case was still attached to the A440F in the cruisers? Was the cruiser on a hoist? My transfer case leaks badly. Debating whether to put the combo or just the transfer case. Do not have a hoist but do have a two ton transmission jack.
We'll see how it turns out. I didn't have the balls to drop the transmission on my driveway since my cruiser is too tall to fit in my garage, but probably could have. So I'm putting the ebrake on and doing my deed. I have a 3" lift with 33" so have some extra room to use my creeper. with the right tools it's OK. i may post some vids of breakdown later. putting it all back together and keeping things clean is the hard/important part. wind sucks. should have cut my sealer nozzle a little less as this got messy.

.............or...............or........why they didn't keep putting that one wee little spot welded piece of metal bracket on the pedal bucket that holds the clutch pedal......yet there is still a relief space for it and the firewall is stamped for the clutch master and the trans hump has the access pan.....oh, hell........nevermind :bang:
One thing we never appreciate is all the versions Toyota made for rest of world. economies of scale is the true culprit.

One thing we never appreciate is all the versions Toyota made for rest of world. economies of scale is the true culprit.

Years ago I picked up a 40 series full floating rear axle. Know it is either from a BJ42 or FJ40 because neither of those have a rear sway bar. Thought I had picked up something rare until I found out Australia got nothing but FF rear after in the 4X series from 1975 on. All 6X series had a FF rear axle in Australia. Also wonder the reasoning behind the H42 with a dummy spacer in the 60 series from 4/85 on rather than just giving us a option of a H55F from the 83 model on when it was introduced to most of the world. Only thing I can think of is the H42 has a friendlier first gear. Then why not a five speed with H42 gearing in the first four gears. :meh:

Wow... they got FF on 62s?

Americans wanted their Automatic trannies, they forgot how to drive stick in the seventies.

not hard at all to do while trans is in the rig. did mine that way years ago.
do a trans filter at the same time as you need to drain the auto.

Just tested out everything today, with some confidence from George that I'm not killing my tranny with the asymmetric resistance. All is good with the world. My biggest need for the rebuild, gear oil leaking into tranny and a loud hum at >35 mph, have been take care of. No more hum. Yay :cheers:
F9E4628D-0D81-4AC9-977A-430B07884BAB_1_105_c.jpeg

Putting on the front cover was the challenge as it's heavy in a tight space with that damm 2H/4L rod getting in the way. I discovered that it got pinned after I finished, so I had to disconnect it from the tranny to get it out of there.
C4A35B88-2209-41CB-892D-CB70D1D957C8_1_105_c.jpeg

The number of times I got up and down from under the car was crazy. I was really surprised how much ATF came out and kept dripping out onto my gasket during installation, hopefully it seals OK. Before testing I had to add 3 liters of ATF to the tranny, wow. Perhaps more came out as the driveway is not flat.

Did a Rodney flush a couple of months back so the filter was cleaned up then, but this would have been a perfect opportunity if I had not.

Ya... that was my surprise... where was @3_puppies for us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom