1993 LJ70 2LT LHD 5-speed manual Prado looking for a new engine swap, please leave suggestions, thank you :) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1993 LJ70 2LT LHD 5-speed manual with a blown engine and looking for an engine upgrade. I am looking to get a bit more power compared to the 2LT. Thinking of doing a swap and wanting to be pointed in the right direction so I can start planning the swap. Located in Texas, United States. Looking possibly at any LS, since they are so easy to source. I like the idea of diesel and gasoline equally. 2JZ (GE, GTE, or any other type), 1UZ, Cummins R2.8, any LS that would be appropriate, are my initial ideas but nothing is set in stone yet. I am open to reasonable ideas and suggestions, please let me know. Also information on matching transmission ideas are accepted, manual preferred but again, nothing is set in stone. Thank you.

Last edited:
15B-FT

I have a 1993 LJ70 2LT LHD 5-speed manual with a blown engine and looking for an engine upgrade. I am looking to get a bit more power compared to the 2LT. Thinking of doing a swap and wanting to be pointed in the right direction so I can start planning the swap. Located in Texas, United States. Looking possibly at any LS, since they are so easy to source. I like the idea of diesel and gasoline equally. 2JZ (GE, GTE, or any other type), 1UZ, Cummins R2.8, any LS that would be appropriate, are my initial ideas but nothing is set in stone yet. I am open to reasonable ideas and suggestions, please let me know. Also information on matching transmission ideas are accepted, manual preferred but again, nothing is set in stone. Thank you.

A stock LS-based motor will be less expensive, make (significantly) more power and, arguably, be just as if not more reliable than a standard 2JZ or 1UZ. A R2.8 would be "ok" in a LJ70 but would be costly. If I had to choose a diesel to use, it would be a 6BT, but they're roughly twice the weight as any other motor on this list.

If you want to remain manual trans, there are H55 adaptor to mate it to an LS. Or the NV4500 is a nice option.

A stock LS-based motor will be less expensive, make (significantly) more power and, arguably, be just as if not more reliable than a standard 2JZ or 1UZ. A R2.8 would be "ok" in a LJ70 but would be costly. If I had to choose a diesel to use, it would be a 6BT, but they're roughly twice the weight as any other motor on this list.

If you want to remain manual trans, there are H55 adaptor to mate it to an LS. Or the NV4500 is a nice option.
thank you so much. how would the wiring be 1-10 worst to best, ballpark?

I am thinking about putting a LS in a LJ73 later this year , not sure if I want to use the R151 or use a gm auto behind it . AA makes a kit to bolt most gm transmissions to the split case .

I thought about what I would swap into mine (LJ79) if I had the chance. I think either a 1kd or 2 kd engine. The 1kd is the 3.0L with variable geometry intercooled turbo, the 2kd is a 2.5 turbo non intercooled engine. Both are common rail. Would they be more powerful and faster than a LS? No way, but I think it would have the cool factor. I believe you have the R151 tranny stock, which are still being used with both of those engines. So with the correct bell housing, it would bolt right up.
Wiring would be a job, but I can't imagine anymore complicated the a fuel injection LS.
I think you can pick them up on eBay for about $3000.

Just my two cents...

I thought about what I would swap into mine (LJ79) if I had the chance. I think either a 1kd or 2 kd engine. The 1kd is the 3.0L with variable geometry intercooled turbo, the 2kd is a 2.5 turbo non intercooled engine. Both are common rail. Would they be more powerful and faster than a LS? No way, but I think it would have the cool factor. I believe you have the R151 tranny stock, which are still being used with both of those engines. So with the correct bell housing, it would bolt right up.
Wiring would be a job, but I can't imagine anymore complicated the a fuel injection LS.
I think you can pick them up on eBay for about $3000.

Just my two cents...
it would be cool haha. thank you!

Hello,

LS plus H55 is an option parts/availability wise in the US.

A 1GR-FE off a 4Runner or Tacoma, complete with automatic transmission, if you want to stay Toyota with a gasoline engine. So is a 1UZ-FE from a 100 Series, complete with automatic transmission.

Again, parts sourcing and available space are good reasons to fit a Cummins R2.8. I am not sure about the transmission for this engine, though.

Last but not least, a 1KZ or a 5L and your existing transmission are good diesel choices if you want a Toyota diesel.

Hope this helps.

Juan

If you have the R151 tranny, swap it out if you are going to be making good power. They are like glass with decent power. I would say that an LS is too much motor for them.

In Pakistan the most preferred engine for this vehicle is the one it came supplied with, the 1kzte. The LJ78s have all mostly been swapped with 1kz here. Don't know if they are readily available in your part of the world. These models were either called LJ or KZJ denoting the two diesel engines they came with (the s***ty 2Lt or 1kz). The 1kz will be the cleanest swap, you don't need to change the transmission at all. Just a recommendation if you can swap with a clean 2lte that would be even better as less modifications required. 5vz is another option but Its a much more difficult swap and the 1kz has legendary reliability cred here. You can also go the way of 1kd I suppose but it's soooooo much more complicated, if your looking for reliability in deep offroad, look no further than 1kz (assuming again parts are available your side of the world. Here the 1kz are everywhere).

1kz has a lighter gear ration than 2lt but if you have over sized tires it will compensate. I believe 2lt is 4.88 gear ratio if I remember and 1kz was near a 4.2. I've got the same lj78 with 1kz swap, manual transmission with the original gearing. Got 1kz differentials which made it slightly smoother but I got it for the difflock on the 1kz variant.

If you have the R151 tranny, swap it out if you are going to be making good power. They are like glass with decent power. I would say that an LS is too much motor for them.

'Glass' is probably a little harsh - my R150 has done fine behind a 1UZ-FE, but you are dead right that an LSx would be over the line. At that point you also want to start worrying about the diffs unless it's only being driven gently on 33" max rubber.

In a SWB 70 you don't have a lot of room to move with the driveshafts, you really want to keep the transfer case in the same place, so the length of suitable gearboxes should be considered along with engine choice.

Cheers
Clint

More then power it has to do with the use of that power , these are sunny sunday drivers here in the US for most folks and not workhorses like for the rest of the world. I have a R151 behind my 1HZ with turbo and IC in my troopy and pull 8k trailer loads on a regular base , so far so good and I am about to swap out the R151 in my crawler with a auto for easier crawling , crawler has a 1HDT on 40’ sticky tires and so far so good no issues there neither but if one blows up I do have a spare.

R151’s just like to 2LT’s got a bad rep in some parts of the world , other places they work just fine.

Kms or miles on the trans is what tells. I'm not saying that you can't use the R151, just be weary that there is a reason alot of people swap to the h150 when they turbo the 1hz here in aus. I see it as pick your engine around your trans or pick your trans around your engine. Either way, unless the torque figure is staying less than 450nm (at the tires), I would be upgrading. That figure may be generous for the R151 lasting long term as well.

I broke 3 R151s behind a mildly worked 1HDT in a HZJ105. Front mount cooler, 3" exhaust and a tune and making 160 RWHP IIRC on 33s. OK, that was the farm workhorse but still, they're not a strong box, I'd be a lot more comfortable with a H15# where you could get on the throttle with confidence. No fun having power and being scared to use it. I also had a GU patrol with a cammed and tuned LS2 in it and I can tell you it got old holding your breath and anticipating the 'BANG!' every time you got on the gas a bit - it used to eat diffs.

'Glass' is probably a little harsh - my R150 has done fine behind a 1UZ-FE, but you are dead right that an LSx would be over the line. At that point you also want to start worrying about the diffs unless it's only being driven gently on 33" max rubber.

In a SWB 70 you don't have a lot of room to move with the driveshafts, you really want to keep the transfer case in the same place, so the length of suitable gearboxes should be considered along with engine choice.

Cheers
Clint
you bring up a good point with the driveshaft Clint, thanks for the comment :)!

More then power it has to do with the use of that power , these are sunny sunday drivers here in the US for most folks and not workhorses like for the rest of the world. I have a R151 behind my 1HZ with turbo and IC in my troopy and pull 8k trailer loads on a regular base , so far so good and I am about to swap out the R151 in my crawler with a auto for easier crawling , crawler has a 1HDT on 40’ sticky tires and so far so good no issues there neither but if one blows up I do have a spare.

R151’s just like to 2LT’s got a bad rep in some parts of the world , other places they work just fine.
It's mostly a cruising car, and light off-road in the desert. Nothing too demanding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom