Does the Alternator on 100 series sufficiently charge Calcium MF batteries? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my car is due for a brand spanking new starter battery. I want to research enough to get the most out of the new battery/system

It looks like most of the battery sellers push the maintenance free Calcium batteries and that would be what I get.

Can I just ask what are peoples experiences with the calcium batteries longevity in cruisers?

I tested my alternator a when it was replaced a while ago, yes brand new Denso , and remember its peak output voltage while running was about 13.5v or something and not even near the requried 14.8 volts requried for calcium batteries. I know, my car is from 1998 and most of the electrical wiring and connections are probably causing some resistance. I've cleaned the terminals well and cleaned some surrounding soiled wiring and done everything necessary to gain a few more volts. Maybe I could cut some of them and make new connections would help more.

Anyway, that 13.5v , could this lack of sufficient higher voltage have contributed to my now dead battery ? (winter here as well) Pretty sure its a calcium battery in there too (no opening for fluid top up) I tested this while the car was still in idle, it doesn't go up while driving does it? This is how most alternators are tested

Do any of you guys charge your starter battery with anything else to help make up for this lack of extra charge. To me it would seem that a calcium battery would never get charged well enough in my cruiser.

EDIT: the voltage I stated above was wrong and actually 13.9V within normal range, however, still too low for the desired charge of Calcium CF (14.8V)

Last edited:
@highkick05 you likely need to get a voltage booster for your alternator, which replaced your alt-s fuse. Some forum members have made their own but I got mine from an Australian company called HKB, that tricks the alternator into producing closer to 14.5 to 14.8 volts. Toyota - LC 100 | HKB Electronics

I had to do this since my AGM (advanced glass mat) lead acid batteries also required a higher charge voltage. Also it is good practice to periodically hook up the battery to a smart charger. I have an older Odyssey OMAX 25 amp charger.

@highkick05 you likely need to get a voltage booster for your alternator, which replaced your alt-s fuse. Some forum members have made their own but I got mine from an Australian company called HKB, that tricks the alternator into producing closer to 14.5 to 14.8 volts. Toyota - LC 100 | HKB Electronics

I had to do this since my AGM (advanced glass mat) lead acid batteries also required a higher charge voltage. Also it is good practice to periodically hook up the battery to a smart charger. I have an older Odyssey OMAX 25 amp charger.
Thanks for that answer.

I got a supercharge gold plus , size that suited the cruiser. 810cca 90ah IIRC. Yeah I questioned this calcium charge rate with the old guy at the store and he said that with that mismatch you should fully charge it with a good slow charger at least once every 3 months. He was really helpful with his advice, so I baught the battery there. Also was a battery specific store so woul make more sense they would sell reliable batteries. (Battery Mart)

Also he said Batteries on average should only last 4 years. If you get more than that you're doing something right :)

I will certainly look into that voltage booster that looks mint , and the way to go. Awesome advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom