Rear A/C line replacement cost. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My A/C line that is located under the front passenger floor board is leaking. I was quoted it will be close to 1k for parts and labor to replace the line and refill the refrigerant. Does this sound in about right?
20190608_221006.jpg

That seems high. I had this line replace by our indy shop and it was a couple hundred including a test and re-charge of the AC system. That said I had purchased the OEM AC line, so I wasn't paying the mechanic for parts cost.

This was an indy shop I normally have work on jobs I dont want to tackle. They quoted around 400 last year to replace the starter, but I ended up installing the starter myself.

With this A/C line they advised it calls to remove the body, but they did one on another hundy last fall and they have a work around...

That seems high. I had this line replace by our indy shop and it was a couple hundred including a test and re-charge of the AC system. That said I had purchased the OEM AC line, so I wasn't paying the mechanic for parts cost.
I would be capping it, but I will need it for the husky in the summer.

I replaced the exact same line. If you use factory parts, it will cost a few hundred in parts. If you buy an aftermarket Dorman splice kit, it will cost less than $100 in parts. The hose is very easy to remove with open ended wrenches. It is also very easy to replace. The whole system needs to be vacuumed and then refilled with R134A refrigerant afterwards. I did it at home for about $100 total cost.

Just make sure you know exactly where the leak is coming from, so you don't have to replace both tubes. Looks like your system has dye in it already, so it shoudl be easy to find with a black light. Just pull the foam back as far as you can to see if you can locate a pin-hole.

You can probably borrow the vacuum unit from a parts store...maybe once COVID is over...If you "cap the system", you are effectively removing half of your air conditioning capability. Like anything, fix it correctly.

I replaced the exact same line. If you use factory parts, it will cost a few hundred in parts. If you buy an aftermarket Dorman splice kit, it will cost less than $100 in parts. The hose is very easy to remove with open ended wrenches. It is also very easy to replace. The whole system needs to be vacuumed and then refilled with R134A refrigerant afterwards. I did it at home for about $100 total cost.

Just make sure you know exactly where the leak is coming from, so you don't have to replace both tubes. Looks like your system has dye in it already, so it shoudl be easy to find with a black light. Just pull the foam back as far as you can to see if you can locate a pin-hole.

You can probably borrow the vacuum unit from a parts store...maybe once COVID is over...If you "cap the system", you are effectively removing half of your air conditioning capability. Like anything, fix it correctly.

I am curious did you have to replace any additional parts other than the AC line? I suspect this is something I will be tackling in the next week or so myself.

I would be capping it, but I will need it for the husky in the summer.
I completely understand - we have a Pyr and Berner....they don't seem to notice. We use the front A/C and have the rear blower set to hi

I am curious did you have to replace any additional parts other than the AC line? I suspect this is something I will be tackling in the next week or so myself.

No other parts. Just the line and the refrigerant. If you want to get fancy you can replace the air conditioner desiccant and replace the oil as well. However, With these lines, the oil leak is minimal. You can use the OEM part, or if you just want to splice the line, you can use something like this Dorman 800-641:

1588693412158.png

If you have a large section of pipe that needs replacement, you can use something like this with a flexible hose added:
1588693518888.png

I've been surprised at how well this is holding up. Just make sure you follow the instructions, and install the correct inner diameter size for your line. Also, make sure you vacuum for about an hour afterwards and then add refrigerant per the specifications of the automobile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom