Steering Slop! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question.I have a 1972 FJ40 that has about 4 to 5 inches to play in the steering wheel.Suspension has been replaced except the gear box.I recently took apart the gear box and found that a worm gear bearing had gone bad.I replaced the bearing and race and checked everything out and it all looked fine. I removed all shims and was able to get about 1 inch of play.Once I installed it on the truck I noticed it had about 3 to 4 inches of play.I proceeded to tighten the adjuster screw until the steering wheel had a bit more resistance and I measured play at about two inches .I drove it about 5 miles and when I got back I noticed it had about 4 to 5 inches of play.My question is it possible for the adjustment to go out of spec so quick?Should I reinstall shims?Thank you.The suspension is all new parts for CCOT. I'm running 33x10.5 mudtire. Sorry for the long post and thank you!

My other not restored 45 is pretty wild in the steering. Most of it coming from buggered swivels and that slop box relay on front chassis. Then there are six other tie rod /drag ling ends to add up.
Sometimes over tightening the steering box happens as trying to compensate for other issues. They actually track best with minimal play left in box as tend to return to center assuming swivels, alignment and caster is close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom