Ironman Foam Cell Pro install question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting.. I must be the only person on earth who hates this suspension:D

Anyways, when I've installed it last year I've asked Ironman, and they've told me to take note when taking out the factory springs & judge that way to be sure (taller vs. shorter - which side is which). On my car the taller one was on the left side, which is the N/S (near side) for the IM spring, so that went onto the left side, and the shorter one (IM calls it D/S - driver side) went to the right (passenger side on an LHD car).

So taller (N/S) goes on the drivers side (left side)
Shorter (D/S) goes on the passenger side (right side)

Or in other words, the springs are labeled for a RHD vehichle, but the RHD vehicle also puts the taller spring on the left side. It's just that on an RHD the D/S marking matches the driver side in reality, while on an LHD the D/S is the other side in reality. So no matter if LHD or RHD, the taller (N/S marked in this case) goes on the left, and the shorter (D/S marked in this case) goes on the right side:)

tl:dr; the taller spring goes on the left side in every case on the 100's, no matter what is written on it or if it is an LHD or RHD.

I think this is because the fuel tank is always on the left side no matter if LHD or RHD, so the left side of the car is the heavier side & needs the taller spring.

And this is how the Tbars should be installed (when looking from the back to front, so rear view), arrow points outwards. These are marked with L (left) and R (right), so no confusion here.

1588287350628.png

And with the rear shocks: The shorter side above the lower eye should face the axle and the longer side the front of the car.

Last edited:
Interesting.. I must be the only person on earth who hates this suspension:D

Anyways, when I've installed it last year I've asked Ironman, and they've told me to take note when taking out the factory springs & judge that way to be sure (taller vs. shorter - which side is which). On my car the taller one was on the left side, which is the N/S (near side) for the IM spring, so that went onto the left side, and the shorter one (IM calls it D/S - driver side) went to the right (passenger side on an LHD car).

So taller (N/S) goes on the drivers side (left side)
Shorter (D/S) goes on the passenger side (right side)

Or in other words, the springs are labeled for a RHD vehichle, but the RHD vehicle also puts the taller spring on the left side. It's just that on an RHD the D/S marking matches the driver side in reality, while on an LHD the D/S is the other side in reality. So no matter if LHD or RHD, the taller (N/S marked in this case) goes on the left, and the shorter (D/S marked in this case) goes on the right side:)

tl:dr; the taller spring goes on the left side in every case on the 100's, no matter what is written on it or if it is an LHD or RHD.

I think this is because the fuel tank is always on the left side no matter if LHD or RHD, so the left side of the car is the heavier side & needs the taller spring.

And this is how the Tbars should be installed (when looking from the back to front, so rear view), arrow points outwards. These are marked with L (left) and R (right), so no confusion here.

View attachment 2291075

And with the rear shocks: The shorter side above the lower eye should face the axle and the longer side the front of the car.
i don't know if things have change at ironman and to be honest i had to read your post a couple times to understand( because this concept in confusing) but mine was different than yours in almost everything you mentioned. my torsion bars look different and aren't marked that way on the ends. they were black not grey and marked on the side left and right. and the splines themselves had white paint for offset/ index.
the springs were labeled DS and NS but were exactly the same height. and ironman faq indicates that they labeled this way because the driver side is heavy regardless of LHD or RHD. but in any case they say to put the DS spring on the heavy side, ie the side with the gas tank. which is what i did and it's even.

if the left side was always the heavy side due to gas tank then why didn't they label it that way? they would have said left and right just as they marked the TBs.
again maybe yours was different a year ago.
Screenshot_20200430-164706.png

i don't know if things have change at ironman and to be honest i had to read your post a couple times to understand( because this concept in confusing) but mine was different than yours in almost everything you mentioned. my torsion bars look different and aren't marked that way on the ends. they were black not grey and marked on the side left and right. and the splines themselves had white paint for offset/ index.
the springs were labeled DS and NS but were exactly the same height. and ironman faq indicates that they labeled this way because the driver side is heavy regardless of LHD or RHD. but in any case they say to put the DS spring on the heavy side, ie the side with the gas tank. which is what i did and it's even.

if the left side was always the heavy side due to gas tank then why didn't they label it that way? they would have said left and right just as they marked the TBs.
again maybe yours was different a year ago.
View attachment 2291138
On your photo on the last page it looks like the NS spring is higher. They’ve labeled it and explain it like this because it is meant for the aussie market in the first place, so is that description on the screenshot. But yeah, they should’ve just marked them Left and Right. The left side is the heavy side, which is the DS on an LHD and the NS on an RHD. The marks on the springs are for an RHD. The torsion bars are black, but the ends are silver (not painted) & one end (the rear) is stamped. They do have the white paint on the master spline(s)

sorry for my bad english:)

Last edited:
On your photo on the last page it looks like the NS spring is higher. They’ve labeled it and explain it like this because it is meant for the aussie market in the first place, so is that description on the screenshot. But yeah, they should’ve just marked them Left and Right. The left side is the heavy side, which is the DS on an LHD and the NS on an RHD. The marks on the springs are for an RHD. The torsion bars are black, but the ends are silver (not painted) & one end (the rear) is stamped. They do have the white paint on the master spline(s)

sorry for my bad english:)

the picture may look that way but they are not. they are the same height. i looked for a difference when installing them. i think people are over thinking the spring install. ironman doesn't mention reversing springs even on their USA site which is for USA distribution.
maybe it doesnt even matter but i think threads like this are confusing people. just follow the directions!

When I measured mine prior to install there was a slight height difference between the two.

One of mines are also slightly taller. It was the NS for me, but it might just be manufacturing difference / error. But I could be wrong. I’m just a random guy on the internet & not a mechanic :(

I’d say around 1/4 - 3/8 inch taller maybe. But I didn’t measure it, so I’m really just guessing. Not a huge difference between the two for sure. I’m not even sure if it would matter. The IM torsion bars are so heavy, that the tension on those / the weight of those affect the overall side to side lean of the car way more than the rear springs in my opinion.

Last edited:
Can you post up pictures of the control arm reinforcements? I just installed my kit yesterday (I went with the constant load) and I installed the brackets but was not sure of the purpose of the 2 bolts that don’t fit anyways.

Can you post up pictures of the control arm reinforcements? I just installed my kit yesterday (I went with the constant load) and I installed the brackets but was not sure of the purpose of the 2 bolts that don’t fit anyways.
20200414_135907-02.jpeg

drill holes where they line up. install bolts. this reinforces the area behind the TB bracket. there its a thread on here somewhere that shows how someone broke theirs. once you see how it breaks you instantly understand how the bracket works. i can't find that thread right now though.

there its a thread on here somewhere that shows how someone broke theirs. once you see how it breaks you instantly understand how the bracket works. i can't find that thread right now though.

If you search for "FK27" (the OME bracket part number), you can find a number of threads on what it looks like when it breaks. Here are a couple of examples:

It's more of a problem on the diesels though. (Not saying it can't happen on petrols)
Also if you decide to do it, then do it as per the instructions (don't drill all holes at once)
Fun fact: diesels have longer tbars:)

View attachment 2295500
drill holes where they line up. install bolts. this reinforces the area behind the TB bracket. there its a thread on here somewhere that shows how someone broke theirs. once you see how it breaks you instantly understand how the bracket works. i can't find that thread right now though.

@kelly saad and I have both had it happen to us. Buy the bracket. Install it. Actually take the time to drill the holes in the arms and run the bolts. Its $20 from @cruiseroutfit and the cheapest insurance policy you can get.

Mine broke at the inner thru bolt for the Torque arm halfway through Hell's revenge in moab. Lets just say it was not a pleasant experience. I highly recommend you install it and install it correctly.

I was about to start packing for a trip and started looking at my cruisers ass. Looks like my driver side is a lot lower after installing this FCP kit... Springs on the wrong side?

997FAAFE-D502-449B-B3C9-C2589FF38CB1.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom