Rear Window Tight Fit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone install the rear window channel (the felt the glass slides up and down in) from Slocruisers? I went to install the rear glass and can't get it in the channels without significant force. So much force that body weight leaning against the window moves the window about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Window channel too thick? I can insert the window without the channel and theres not much room. I've never had the glass installed in this tailgate and the glass came from another 55 that was one year older. I'm not even sure it's an original window so it could be cut a little wide? Not sure.

It looks like I can rework the channel rails with a little cutting and welding to get a little more width to support the window but I'm not sure I should go that route.

Anyone have input and am I missing something obvious before I rework the metal?

Anyone install the rear window channel (the felt the glass slides up and down in) from Slocruisers? I went to install the rear glass and can't get it in the channels without significant force. So much force that body weight leaning against the window moves the window about 1/4 to 1/2 inch.

I'm not sure what the issue is. Window channel too thick? I can insert the window without the channel and theres not much room. I've never had the glass installed in this tailgate and the glass came from another 55 that was one year older. I'm not even sure it's an original window so it could be cut a little wide? Not sure.

It looks like I can rework the channel rails with a little cutting and welding to get a little more width to support the window but I'm not sure I should go that route.

Have the same issue. My rear tailgate window goes up and down fine without the rubber window channels in however with them installed I can barely force the glass in much less the 50 year old motor mechanism. I have decided one of two options:
1) try to trim the glass
2) try to trim the rubber

I wouldn’t mess with the metal work as that is clearly good...at least on mine. I was not sure if my glass was original and asked another FJ55 owner to measure his glass to compare to mine and mine was a little wider by 1/8”. Not sure where or how to get auto glass trimmed by such a small amount.

Have the same issue. My rear tailgate window goes up and down fine without the rubber window channels in however with them installed I can barely force the glass in much less the 50 year old motor mechanism. I have decided one of two options:
1) try to trim the glass
2) try to trim the rubber

I wouldn’t mess with the metal work as that is clearly good...at least on mine. I was not sure if my glass was original and asked another FJ55 owner to measure his glass to compare to mine and mine was a little wider by 1/8”. Not sure where or how to get auto glass trimmed by such a small amount.
The measurement I got from another member was 43.25” and again mine was about 1/8” wider. What does yours measure?

Mine measures 43 1/4" or maybe 1/32" more.

I just feel better that I my issue isn't unique. I was worried it was. Re-working the metal is easy for me and doesn't add any cost to the pig's deficit budget. I figure I can gain 1/4" and I hope that's enough.

Thanks for the input. I'm glad I'm not crazy!

Why is there no "EASY" button on all this work?

I think it would be easier to cut the glass or get another piece cut over reworking the channels on the gate. I have a window out if you need a measurement for reference.
Rush55 - would be great if you could send us your glass measurement for another comparison. Thanks.

I think the problem is with the newer glass. The new glass is thicker than OEM glass and that felt in the rubber channel is binding it up. I had to remove the felt part from the rubber (if I remember correct). I'll look after while. All my glass is new and almost every piece had some thickness issue with the track.

I think the problem is with the newer glass. The new glass is thicker than OEM glass and that felt in the rubber channel is binding it up. I had to remove the felt part from the rubber (if I remember correct). I'll look after while. All my glass is new and almost every piece had some thickness issue with the track.

For me it wasn't glass thickness. It was width. I have plenty of play between the felt edges when I look at it from a thickness perspective.

I have two SloCruiser rubber channels:
1) without felt/moleskin
2) with felt/moleskin

Both bind. When I was rebuilding my rear window, I pulled out two flat pieces of old hard rubber from one side. The other side was bare metal. I assumed they were added by the PO as the repro from SloCruisers was a U shape, ie three sides. My window gear is good. I built a new lower channel guide for the window, and noted that the PO bypassed the rear safety switch. All works good now except:
1) the rubber in the left/right channels we’ve been discussing
2) the right side of the tailgate doesn’t close all the way as it has maybe a half inch of slop/play... haven’t figured out the solution for either yet

One thing to check is make sure the glass is going up square. If it's cocked a little you'll have binding. Maybe when rebuilding the geared lift arms one of the arms slipped a few teeth.

I let my arms slip at some point while changing the motor/gears and had to realign the arms. It's very tedious. IIRC, you have to guess at a setting, install the assembly and glass and take measurements to ensure that the glass is square. If it's off you have to disassemble, adjust arms and repeat.

I fought with my Slocruisers U-Channels for a year before I removed them in a tangled up ball at the bottom of my tailgate.

I wouldn’t modify my metal bits to fit Slocruisers rubber. Do a quick search for “Flocked Window U-Channel” and look at some better “thinner” options first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom