Builds The "Red Rocket" Troopy (8 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all! Around a month ago my father and I bought a LHD 1987 BJ75 Troopy, previously owned by @4btfjz80CO93 and imported by @gilmorneau from France, to be my daily driver. Reading through Gilmorneau's for sale thread it seemed that people were interested in what would happen with this Troopy, so here I am. @4btfjz80CO93 had alotttt of work done to it before we purchased it which you can see here in his for sale thread. It's equipped with the Toyota 3B diesel engine and the H55f transmission, both in great condition.

I plan to use it, not just drive it once a week and let it sit for the other 6 days of the week. In the past year, I put 11,000 miles on my FJ62 and plan to put the same amount (well in km's) on the Red Rocket. We have had a lot of free time because of quarantine, so in the past month, we have put in some desperately needed new suspension from Dobinsons, and went ahead and put a bull bar from Dobinsons on the same pallet to save on shipping. The brake master cylinder also went out so we put a new one in about 2 days ago. I also tracked down some of the original jumpseats for the rear within 4 hours of me, but we will have to do some fabrication to get them in as they are apart in multiple pieces. Other than that it doesn't really need much.

For the future content of this thread, it will mostly just be eye candy of places I go with it, from driving it on the beach to trying to parallel park it downtown. Whenever something breaks, I'll fix it and post about it on here. A turbo would be nice to have but its not a necessity for me. If you have any questions about it just ask and hopefully, you all will enjoy the photos!

Heres 2 photos from about a week after I got it to get this thread started.

EDS_0112 (1).jpg

EDS_0115.jpg

Was this the one for sale in Boulder? On Arapahoe? Maybe @gilmorneau will know.

It was for sale in Boulder when I had it, but it’s not the one that was out on E Arapahoe. That one was from Poland and had some very “custom” Eastern European interior appointments. No idea what ever happened to that one. This one came out of France—I imported it—and was basically empty inside when I got it. Glad to see it with a new owner!

That looks like CB. I grew up in Wilmington/Wrightsville. We dug out a few vehicles from that beach when I was growing up!

That looks like CB. I grew up in Wilmington/Wrightsville. We dug out a few vehicles from that beach when I was growing up!
You are spot on! It's at the Fort Fisher 4WD beach access, my freinds and I spent 50% of last summer out there in my 62, and well this summer will hopefully be the same but in my 75. I've pulled out too many people to count by now out of that sand. Awesome that you recognized it.

Nice! I kicked so many cannonballs surfing there growing up. Such rich history in that area. Plus, man I miss Brunswick Stew and GOOD pulled pork!

Nice! I kicked so many cannonballs surfing there growing up. Such rich history in that area. Plus, man I miss Brunswick Stew and GOOD pulled pork!
Same! Cannon balls and jelly fish all throughout that beach, but we still love it. Such a small world.

Man, you're gonna make me get a new suspension setup for my Troopy. That looks great!
How's the ride?
The ride is SOOOOOO much better than the original 30 year old suspension, it's crazy how much of an improvement there was. The old shocks were so worn I could push them together with my pointer fingers. Reason I went with Dobinsons over Old Man Emu is just because I've read many threads about how much better the ride on Dobinsons is compared to OME. Plus, Dobinsons makes their own shocks and can customize them specifically for each vehicle and the role that vehicle will be playing, unlike OME who I believe source them from somewhere else. (Don't quote me on that) I've put around 700kms since on them and I've been nothing but pleased. For anyone looking for new suspension, don't just go and buy OME instantly cause that's what all Cruisers run, look at other (possibly better) options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom