Events/Trails Spring Camping Trip to Black Rock 6/5-7 (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sadly the railroad house is very gone. I first saw that place with the club. It had a wall or two missing a few years ago, now it looks like it was burned then demolished.

It's my wife's Reserve drill weekend (figures) but I may bring out my 8-year old for the weekend. I will get a driveshaft ordered this week. Hopefully Tom Woods considers itself an essential business.

I've also learned that an intercooler is going to be necessary on this diesel. I'm fine on the flats, but trying to maintain highway speeds on hills - like the trip to Doyle I did yesterday on 395 - things get tricky. I have to drive by the pyro and it was difficult to keep the temps under 1000 degrees on the grades.

It's my wife's Reserve drill weekend (figures) but I may bring out my 8-year old for the weekend. I will get a driveshaft ordered this week. Hopefully Tom Woods considers itself an essential business. I've also learned that an intercooler is going to be necessary on this diesel. I'm fine on the flats, but trying to maintain highway speeds on hills - like the trip to Doyle I did yesterday on 395 - things get tricky. I have to drive by the pyro and it was difficult to keep the temps under 1000 degrees on the grades.

Can't wait to see your 40 man! :) Maybe we should bring firearms and do some shooting too? I don't know if that would be a good or bad idea in Black Rock...

Ok so decision making time for me. I just got a 2.5" leveling kit the F150, new wheels and some 35x12.5 all-terrains... Now I wanna stretch her legs a bit but I have zero interest in body damage or pinstripes. I've never been where we are going, am I safe? Plans to hit High Rock? I hear that can be murder on a full size.

Should I take the Bronco or take the F150? F150

IMG_20200426_151109.jpg

IMG_20200426_151210.jpg

It's amazing what 2.5" and 35's can do for the look of my truck... Well amazing to me anyways. I HATE the rake!

04 F150.jpg

Looks great with the 35s and the level look. Not sure why manufactures are doing that. Colorado a good example. You will be sorry if you take that thru the canyon. It isn't just brush or willows it is some serious stemage. I cringed the whole time. It is only for about two miles but it lives up to the name "pinstriping"

Looks great with the 35s and the level look. Not sure why manufactures are doing that. Colorado a good example. You will be sorry if you take that thru the canyon. It isn't just brush or willows it is some serious stemage. I cringed the whole time. It is only for about two miles but it lives up to the name "pinstriping"

That's what I am afraid of. I guess I'll try to find out who controls entry to the canyon and see if it is open. If so, I'll assume are gonna go in and I'll bring the Bronco.

The moon won't rise until early morning. Up there the skies are very dark, but lots of dust. Bring binoculars, tripod mounted if you have them, but not the good telescope. I can't remember if there is a fire ring, but if you dress warm and can do without the campfire the night views are pretty awesome. Here's my camp when we went in 2017.

IMG_9581.jpg

The moon won't rise until early morning. Up there the skies are very dark, but lots of dust. Bring binoculars, tripod mounted if you have them, but not the good telescope. I can't remember if there is a fire ring, but if you dress warm and can do without the campfire the night views are pretty awesome. Here's my camp when we went in 2017.

Awesome! I was thinking of borrowing my father-in-laws 11-inch or 14-inch. Are you saying don't bring a nice one due to terrain and dust? We will be doing a campfire as we have a small portable pit, but there's plenty of empty desert in the surrounding area. I would like to checkout the area NW of the table site for actual camping and maybe we could use the table site for a star party? Or use the area NW for a star party...

1588256149422.png

That is only a walking trail from the circular parking area up to the pool. Plan to camp at the circular area, that's the only good cleared ground - everything else is pretty rocky, unless you're on a cot. The camp area has a big concrete table in the middle, not sure how much good it does with social distancing and all that but it is a table.

I only have use for campfires when it's cold - for me they're not worth the effort especially including putting them out. And because I don't sleep much, i usually wind up being the one to put them out. I spent a bunch of weekends scouting that area last year, we never bothered with a fire. Plus it's not so easy to keep our antisocial distance with a fire going. If you must, keep it low and contained, I mean really low. There is nothing but dry brush and grasses up there. Bring a bucket for water, as far as I know that spring runs year round. I doubt there is enough runoff to collect water right by the camp, so you'll need to walk up that trail to the pool.

As for telescopes, the "seeing" is not very good due to dust in the air and instability. High magnification is not your friend. Plus the dust is bad for everything. You'll also be bouncing your optics around on the drive, so even if you protect from dust you'll waste a lot of time re-collimating. But with low power and good light gathering, like 8x to 10x binoculars, there is a lot to see kicking back in your camp chair. I think I just had my little Vortex 10x28 last time.

Ok so I spoke to the BLM office and they said High Rock Canyon is not closed due to COVID-19 and there are no plans to do so. It is currently closed due to lambing bighorn sheep and nesting raptors and will reopen on May 10th. She said they have no plans to extend the closure at this time.

Last edited:
Wow still closed for that. Usually they open April 30th. I don't have the track that we would take, but aside from wandering in the sagebrush flat til we found the route to the mouth of the canyon, it is pretty easy to navigate thru the canyon with stops along the way to hit the historical points. The last stop is for obsidian and then the long road out back to Gerlach or onto Stewart's camp or massacre ranch for more camping. I'm probably only going to camp Friday night then out on Saturday.

Based on our text conversation, I am thinking the blue/green route is the one you guys normally take...

1588272605360.png

The light blue route is one I am eyeballing to get back to paved road and gas stations quicker. @hairy_apple is coming and some of his club might join him. That's a 2+ hour drive to Reno, plus a 2 hour drive to Gerlach... plus a 2 hour drive to the campsite... plus a 2 hours or more through High Rock... Too much! So I offered to meet them in Gerlach on Friday and camp with them nearby so they don't have to cover six hours+ in one day. Heading out to 395 would be better for them than heading back down to Gerlach, so I might go with them and take the paved way home.

I am required to stay in NV to avoid quarantine for work, so I will come back thru Gerlach. But have a look at (roughly) 41.524402,-119.935348 on your way out. I think I posted pics from up there last summer I will see if I can find them.

Edit: On your map look for Slide Spring. On the satellite or topo view you can see this whole area is an enormous ancient landslide.

IMG_2376.jpg
IMG_2378.jpg
IMG_20190811_130905465_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
So are you guys planning on hitting High Rock Saturday, I’ve been looking to run thru High Rock again and its more fun with a group. Pretty easy for me to drop into Gerlach, then exit out Stevens camp to Cedarville. Have to work on Sunday so can’t stay Saturday night. This all depends on if you don’t mind having an outsider with ya.

I'd assumed HRC would be Sunday, but if we are driving into the area Saturday it doesn't have to work that way. Getting to Soldier Meadows isn't an all day trip, unless we do some exploring around the area. Last time we did this we left after work on Friday and made camp at dusk.

I'd volunteer for lead, but I can't make a real commitment for the trip quite yet.

I'd assumed HRC would be Sunday, but if we are driving into the area Saturday it doesn't have to work that way. Getting to Soldier Meadows isn't an all day trip, unless we do some exploring around the area. Last time we did this we left after work on Friday and made camp at dusk.

I'd volunteer for lead, but I can't make a real commitment for the trip quite yet.

Oh I hope you can make it! I'm thinking we should meet around 3PM instead of in the morning. This will give folks who are further away more daylight hours to get the meet up. I'm thinking we head out around 3:30 and get to the campsite by dinner. Folks can explore the springs on-foot and have daylight hours to setup camp. We can come and go in groups to explore via vehicle if desired too. Then we can head up HRC the next morning whenever everyone is ready to roll out.

Having slept on it, right now I'm probably a no. Keeping in mind my wife is in contact with Covid patients several times a week, and I'm still working under orders to not leave the state while most of my colleagues are on furlough in an industry harder hit than most, I don't think we're going to take the extra risk on a group camp this size. Which I am seriously bummed about, I'm the only one in my family that's been up through High Rock and I was looking forward to showing them some of the history.

I hope we see some sheep! That would be super cool. I have never seen any of the big horns before in person. I'm looking forward to this. Should be a good trip.

Ok if your for sure stuck on going thru HRC on Sunday then you should change the meet time at Brunos to sometime in the afternoon. 3:00 would be good like your suggestion. The road to Solider Meadows is long ( I think about 2 hrs) but once you get to the camp there is only the hot pots and eating and camping. It would be hard to fill a day at that camp and not get bored and burned. No shade to speak of unless your a scorpion. As far as going out I would go back to Gerlach the non 395 way as it is much faster way back to Reno. I understand benefits of the other way for folks heading back to CA. Just make sure you have navigation as there are a bunch of forks that could put you off the way fairly easily. You can plan on the Canyon taking about 5 hours at the longest. And if anybody wants to camp Sunday night, Stevens camp is a great option with a nice creek running thru it.

That being said, this also could be run on Saturday with a meet at Brunos on Friday PM. I have the day off. Just something to confuse everyone:hmm:. I always like to have Sunday as a day to get home if there are any breaks or problems during the run on Sat (even tho this is a stock run). Especially important as we are opening up our Office back on Monday. Just a thought. I am happy to guide everyone with some stops about the historical points of interest. Those and the beauty of the canyon make this a truly wonderful trip.

All welcome even outsiders:cheers: Always.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom