Builds DannyBCruzin in an FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

On another note, I'm over Best Buy's free installation that I got with this head unit. I went for my third appointment, and, granted the problems they've discovered are actual problems, their unwillingness to even attempt to tackle them even with additional time added to the invoice is a total turnoff. As such, I've decided to tackle this myself too.

The previous owner's hack job on the wiring harness isn't as screwed up as I thought, just very poorly executed. They also put some POS Ford speakers in the doors. However, the amp and wiring setup from there look promising. All the door speakers have good wires going to them and the RCA cables are run to the head unit area. The amp has a nice ground, and there's a power cable running to the engine bay...but for some reason they decided to cut the fkn power wire and zip tie it off to the side. WTF! Anyway, seems like a fairly easily salvageable situation, and I can't wait to finally have tunes in this thing!

View attachment 2214684

View attachment 2214681

View attachment 2214682

View attachment 2214683

View attachment 2214680
My stereo in my 1991 only works on the driver speaker and pops and girgles in the other speakers. I found some sketchy wiring when I looked at the passenger speaker in the dash. I am going to pull the dash apart to replace a air vent. hopefully while I do that I can figure out whats wrong with mine.

My stereo in my 1991 only works on the driver speaker and pops and girgles in the other speakers. I found some sketchy wiring when I looked at the passenger speaker in the dash. I am going to pull the dash apart to replace a air vent. hopefully while I do that I can figure out whats wrong with mine.
Since getting this thing, I've subscribed more and more to the "might as well do it while I'm in there" philosophy lol

I drove the beast around town yesterday to get the fluids going, buuut she died on me 3 times in 7 miles. After popping the hood to look at things, seeing nothing, and dropping the hood down, she would fire right back up. To me it sounds like a bad ground, likely at the clamp to the terminal cuz it looks like a total POS. I still also slightly suspect the faulty alarm system triggering its kill switch, but not as much as the ground. Any other ideas?

Another case of “wtf were they thinking?!” was the cause of the sudden power loss. There’s a wing nut holding the wiring onto the positive clamp instead of an actual nut smh. Tightened that for now and the test drive shows no further issues. Thankfully it’ll be an easy permanent fix!
5AECDEA6-A914-4387-93FE-6446D9142C11.jpeg

Another case of “wtf were they thinking?!” was the cause of the sudden power loss. There’s a wing nut holding the wiring onto the positive clamp instead of an actual nut smh. Tightened that for now and the test drive shows no further issues. Thankfully it’ll be an easy permanent fix!
View attachment 2250406
On My 1991 I needed to replace the water pump and radiator. Still waiting on the water pump. I had to remove a lot of stuff and found some sketch stuff. Taking the battery out I found out an alarming fix on the negative battery cable. The cable was literally taped into the back of the negative connector with some electrical tape. Nothing else was securing the negative connector to the wire. I am almost sure why it would somtimes not start. (the starter would go just nothing would happen) I also replaced the fusible link while I was in there. My favorite crappy fix I have found so far was the blue rtv holding the valve cover gasket pieces together... I have no idea why they did not just buy the 12 dollar gasket?

DannyB that is an autozone special battery terminal which comes with wingnut and that sweet red felt, no extra charge!

You can get the grommet

grommet, wiring 82819-60040

Time for Military terminal clamps.
This is the terminal set I chose.

Amazon product ASIN B00X36RILW
Got these added to my Amazon cart, thanks!
On My 1991 I needed to replace the water pump and radiator. Still waiting on the water pump. I had to remove a lot of stuff and found some sketch stuff. Taking the battery out I found out an alarming fix on the negative battery cable. The cable was literally taped into the back of the negative connector with some electrical tape. Nothing else was securing the negative connector to the wire. I am almost sure why it would somtimes not start. (the starter would go just nothing would happen) I also replaced the fusible link while I was in there. My favorite crappy fix I have found so far was the blue rtv holding the valve cover gasket pieces together... I have no idea why they did not just buy the 12 dollar gasket?
Jeez, that's crazy! My negative terminal is a POS, but not that bad lol. I don't know what gets into people's heads sometimes when they decide to do these crazy hack jobs!
DannyB that is an autozone special battery terminal which comes with wingnut and that sweet red felt, no extra charge!

You can get the grommet

grommet, wiring 82819-60040
That wing nut ended up being the culprit lol. The ground was nice and tight everywhere, so I decided to check the positive and, boom, the wingnut was finger tight (or loose, really). I tightened that up and she's driving fine. I'm still going to upgrade to some military terminals for the perma-fix, though.

Got these added to my Amazon cart, thanks!

Jeez, that's crazy! My negative terminal is a POS, but not that bad lol. I don't know what gets into people's heads sometimes when they decide to do these crazy hack jobs!

That wing nut ended up being the culprit lol. The ground was nice and tight everywhere, so I decided to check the positive and, boom, the wingnut was finger tight (or loose, really). I tightened that up and she's driving fine. I'm still going to upgrade to some military terminals for the perma-fix, though.
Other things I recommend when doing that. I also added a winch and a separate fuse block for lights. These are some of the things I needed for that job:

Amazon product ASIN B003X51S00Amazon product ASIN B001P6FTHChttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BXKYW0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've been slacking on my build thread, but I've been pretty busy with work and dealing with all the stuff going on in the world right now. However, i've been working behind the scenes on some stuff, and, welp, it finally happened - I took on the infamous knuckle rebuild (with the help of a couple friends) and won. I used the Low Range Off-Road kit, and it came with everything I needed except grease. For grease, I used Red Line CV-2, which has worked great in my Tacoma's CVs. I've also seen a few on here who've used it with success, so I was happy to keep using it. Overall, it was just as time-consuming, dirty and painful as advertised, but it wasn't quite as difficult as I originally thought. Pics for proof of course...

IMG-1755.jpg

IMG-1756.jpg

IMG-1758.jpg

IMG-1759.jpg

IMG-1760.jpg

Last edited:
IMG-1762.jpg

IMG-1770.jpg

IMG-1774.jpg

IMG-1780.jpg

P.S. Yes, I put the brake caliper back on lol. I also ordered a few more things:

1) Eibach Pro Truck 3" lift - a friend is buying my existing OME coils/KYB shocks combo
2) Delta VS Panhard relocation bracket & mil-spec battery terminals
3) DFG tilting 52 qt. fridge slide
4) CSI Black Ice 52 Qt. Fridge/Freezer from Mike's custom Toys
5) Metal Tech 4x4 sway bar drop bracket
6) Slee front & rear bump stops drop brackets
7) Not "ordered" - a buddy is building me a custom tire carrier/shelf system for the trunk area (quarantine projects ftw)

Now for a bunch of fluid changes, new belts, and other maintenance items while I wait for all this stuff.

Last edited:
Might want to check the grease on the birfs... Pretty sure you want something that is moly fortified and not basic wheel bearing grease.

Might want to check the grease on the birfs... Pretty sure you want something that is moly fortified and not basic wheel bearing grease.
Thanks. Just double checked the extra tubes - it's "synthetic high-performance extreme pressure grease with red moly" and is intended for bearings and cv axles

Thanks. Just double checked the extra tubes - it's "synthetic high-performance extreme pressure grease with red moly" and is intended for bearings and cv axles
Hopefully you had LOT more grease in that birf before you closed it up. That's like 1/4 of what's needed.

Hopefully you had LOT more grease in that birf before you closed it up. That's like 1/4 of what's needed.
Yep, went with the 3/4 full mantra. Just a status pic before my hands got too greasy to recover from lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom