Events/Trails Spring Camping Trip to Black Rock 6/5-7 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tony_Farson

Club President, Battle Born Cruisers
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
battleborncruisers.com
What: Spring Camping Trip
When: Friday June 5-7
Where: Black Rock Desert
Meet Up: Bruno's Country Club, 445 Main St, Gerlach, NV 89412 (40.652141, -119.354022)
Time: 3PM
Travel Time: 2 hours to the meetup in Gerlach. 2 hours to the campsite at Soldier Meadows, High Rock ???

Details
The Campsite is at 41.35151 -119.22383 and is short walk to several hot springs and a patch of wetland. The trails are stock friendly. It is near Solider Meadows. The GPS coordinates above link to the GaiaGPS waypoint and I am experimenting with OnX Offroad now too. There is a Shell station down the street from Bruno's so we can all gas up before hitting the trails.

What to Bring: Bug repellent! Red light filters for flashlights (keeps the bugs away and keeps it dark for stargazing). Camping gear including heaters, fire wood, and other things to keep you warm. Food, water, chairs as well as bathing suits if you plan to avail yourselves of the hot springs. No skinny dipping! o_O Make sure you bring water shoes... oh and BUG REPELLENT!

There are no public restrooms or showers! Bring your own TP, shovels, buckets, whatever you need to do your business far, FAR from the camp site🤢

The plan is to hang out until mid morning at the campsite on Saturday so others who cannot meet up on Friday can meet us on Saturday morning before we head through High Rock Canyon. For those who want to camp an extra night, we will probably pitch tents around Steve's Camp assuming there is space. There are lots of other spots along the way though so stay flexible.

Please add any details I may not know @Krusty Krab , @DesertLake , @CV Kurt , @MagmaFJ, @rusty_tlc

1590117749234.png

Last edited:
As of yesterday's press conference, all items are still in affect until further notice. Governor didn't give any indication as to when "Phase 1" release would start.

As of yesterday's press conference, all items are still in affect until further notice. Governor didn't give any indication as to when "Phase 1" release would start.

Communist... Oh! I mean... Ok. :)

I'll bet some restrictions will relax whether he wants them to or not by the end of the month. Folks won't tolerate this much longer locally.

Maybe we plan on doing something the weekend of the 23rd just to give things time to normalize a bit more?

Communist... Oh! I mean... Ok. :)

I'll bet some restrictions will relax whether he wants them to or not by the end of the month. Folks won't tolerate this much longer locally.

Maybe we plan on doing something the weekend of the 23rd just to give things time to normalize a bit more?
Basically what he was saying is that he is waiting to SEE a plateau and down tick in cases before he will start looking at implementing Phase 1. Schools and other major events are cancelled for the foreseeable future (with school closed for remainder of the school year). Livestream from last night is up on YouTube if you are interested.

Personally, I don't trust their numbers simply because of information I have been told by first responders. Buddy that is firemen in Reno has changed much of what he previously believed about local government. He is a supervisor/higher up in his fire house and was on a call with the mayor where they were told that any death that they cannot absolute confirm was due to car accident, murder, etc. they HAVE to report as a COVID-19 death. Injuries are the same.

I am no longer isolating at home. I don't think they are going to hold this together much longer. 2 or 3 deaths a day that are older people with pre-existing conditions is almost normal. Tragic but everyone I know is done listening to the news and politicians. Too much of this stinks like they are trying to extend the shutdown despite evidence that society is pushing past the need for a lockdown. I know the 2nd wave will come but with the antibody testing indicating 85 times more people have had it than estimated, they will not have as much luck keeping us locked down as they might think. I just hope they figure out that they need to let people take their chances before something stupid happens.

Basically what he was saying is that he is waiting to SEE a plateau and down tick in cases before he will start looking at implementing Phase 1. Schools and other major events are cancelled for the foreseeable future (with school closed for remainder of the school year). Livestream from last night is up on YouTube if you are interested.

Personally, I don't trust their numbers simply because of information I have been told by first responders. Buddy that is firemen in Reno has changed much of what he previously believed about local government. He is a supervisor/higher up in his fire house and was on a call with the mayor where they were told that any death that they cannot absolute confirm was due to car accident, murder, etc. they HAVE to report as a COVID-19 death. Injuries are the same.

I've heard the cause of death reporting issue asserted before, but always third hand. Please encourage your friend to go to the press.

We should move this over to that other thread...

Last edited:
So the thing is since we (Nevada) implemented social distancing and other measures early it's not as big a deal as it could have been. Which in turn makes people think we overreacted. Which leads down the path of we can relax. I'm not usually behind the Democrat agenda but in this case I think Sisolak is doing the right thing.

That fruitcake in Vegas needs professional help. If they opened Vegas up tomorrow they face two big problems, no airline flights and if there were I seriously doubt anyone would be willing to get inside a sardine can with a hundred other souls for a couple or hours to spend time in a closed environment sitting next to someone from who knows where just to pull a slot handle. I think we better get ready for a rough ride here in Nevada.

OK back on subject! Just had a chat with Mark and we are thinking about heading to Blackrock the weekend of May 16th for a camping and wheeling. I have never been but @Krusty Krab said @DesertLake , @MagmaFJ and @CV Kurt were there last time. It is stock friendly, but pinstripes are common through the canyon.

Interested but very provisional. By the way I camped at the same spot last July or August and at night it was swarming with bugs, probably these guys Corixidae - Wikipedia out of the pond. We did everything by red light and they weren't as annoying. When we camped as a club a few years ago the bugs were no problem.

Interested but very provisional. By the way I camped at the same spot last July or August and at night it was swarming with bugs, probably these guys Corixidae - Wikipedia out of the pond. We did everything by red light and they weren't as annoying. When we camped as a club a few years ago the bugs were no problem.

Good to know! I just updated the details with the bug repellent info.

What: Spring Camping Trip
When: May 16 & 17
Where: Black Rock Desert
Meet Up: Bruno's Country Club, 445 Main St, Gerlach, NV 89412 (40.652141, -119.354022)
Time: 8AM

Details
The Campsite is at 41.35151 -119.22383 and is short walk to several hot springs and small patch of wetland. The trails are stock friendly. It is near Solider Meadows. The GPS coordinates above link to the GaiaGPS waypoint and I am experimenting with OnX Offroad now too. There is a Shell station down the street from Bruno's so we can all gas up before hitting the trails.

What to Bring: Camping gear including heaters, fire wood, and other things to keep you warm. Food, water, chairs and chairs as well as bathing suits if you plan to avail yourselves of the hot springs. No skinny dipping! o_O Make sure you bring water shoes, bug repellent, and red lights.

There are no public restrooms or showers! Bring your own TP, shovels, buckets, whatever you need to do your business far, FAR from the camp site! :)

Please add any details I may not know @Krusty Krab , @DesertLake , @CV Kurt , @MagmaFJ

Of course this is subject to change, but I'll be going no matter what and you are all welcome to join me.
Sounds good to me Sounds good to me

I will come, legal or not. I'm soooo needing to go camping.

1587762011055.png

Right on! Do you wanna meet up on Friday afternoon? If it is just you two, then you are welcome to crash at our place or we can meet you at the campsite I mentioned.

Right on! Do you wanna meet up on Friday afternoon? If it is just you two, then you are welcome to crash at our place or we can meet you at the campsite I mentioned.

I will chat with Danielle tonight see.

Thought you had one ...

If you want a first night camp closer to town we have camped at the Surprise valley road by Smoke creek. Basically follow Pyramid Hwy north over sand pass (stop and check out the railroad house) then on to where the road crosses over Smoke Creek. After you cross the bridge take a sharp left down a road which gets you to a large flat open area. Krusty has camped there before, he can show you the Beaver Dam, yes a beaver dam in the desert. I will check with the recreation committee chair about our availability for the excursion.

1587784490890.png

If you want a first night camp closer to town we have camped at the Surprise valley road by Smoke creek. Basically follow Pyramid Hwy north over sand pass (stop and check out the railroad house) then on to where the road crosses over Smoke Creek. After you cross the bridge take a sharp left down a road which gets you to a large flat open area. Krusty has camped there before, he can show you the Beaver Dam, yes a beaver dam in the desert. I will check with the recreation committee chair about our availability for the excursion.

Thanks Dan! You think you'll be able to join us?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom