2006 LX470 Purchase Advice (1 Viewer)

Buy or Pass?

• Buy

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Pass

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i'm not telling him to buy a beat up rusty ole truck; Plenty of 100 models available under 10k with full maintenance that just so happens to have high mileage.
I paid 9900 for my 2006 LX470 with 205k miles last year; one owner southern truck. They had already done the tb/wp and swap all fluids along with spark plugs. They are out there. Spending 18k is creeping towards 2008/2009 lx570 territory.

that extra 8-9k can go A LONG ways in OEM upgrades. I see no difference in a 200k mile truck and a 100k mile truck if maintenance are equal.

You got a great deal on that one. Unfortunately, for us up here in the northeast, those are MUCH harder to find. I had to go to FL to get mine as "rust free" was my top priority. Even though it's a relatively simple task for me to go to FL to grab a car, it's a logistical headache for most. You take a bigger risk has you have to buy airfare before you can even see the car in person. This Covid crap isn't helping either. Yes, there are better deals out there. But this one is super convenient for the OP and it isn't a bad price if he is comfortable with it. The OP just has to accept that he is paying a premium for convenience. There's a lot of stuff that I pay someone to do now that I used to do on my own.

confirm on all accounts;

but 20k is 200 series territory. I just can't get over that. Mentally it doesn't make sense to me.

It's clean for a Northern truck, no issues with wrenching on that. You are paying for convenience and that's ok if it's the situation you are in. I'd use that $800 quote to get it cleaned up and try to haggle.

How long is your daily work commute?

it's not logical to buy a car in this environment right now. I'm going outside to swap calipers and drink beer.

it makes sense if you're really dialed in on the 4.7 and no one works on your 100 but a tire guy.
I'd buy my own LC for 30 before I spent 30 on a first year 200, or second year, 3rd 4th etc. Even discounting the fact that I know my own car.
service books, techstream, time spent underneath one. Huge ass list and big money.
minor segments of a large line dictating pricing. Straight 6 vs v8 m3, wet sump vs dry 911.
it's pointless when people ask, is this a good deal on this 06 LX. none of us know his exact conditions.

If you’re cross shopping a Honda then probably pass, you’re paying a lot for a generic SUV. If you know you want a cruiser then get it, ignore the guys who say you’re overpaying because they got a screaming deal, that’s not representative of going market rates. I had a built 200 and currently drive a 2006 LX that I like better, so don’t buy into the idea that the 200 is better in every way, it’s clearly not. I prioritize clean vehicles with solid history and low miles, and see nothing wrong paying a bit more. If you decide so sell, you will just get that premium right back. I say get it.

it's not logical to buy a car in this environment right now. I'm going outside to swap calipers and drink beer.

it makes sense if you're really dialed in on the 4.7 and no one works on your 100 but a tire guy.
I'd buy my own LC for 30 before I spent 30 on a first year 200, or second year, 3rd 4th etc. Even discounting the fact that I know my own car.
service books, techstream, time spent underneath one. Huge ass list and big money.
minor segments of a large line dictating pricing. Straight 6 vs v8 m3, wet sump vs dry 911.
it's pointless when people ask, is this a good deal on this 06 LX. none of us know his exact conditions.

I disagree; I think right now is the perfect time to buy given the financial environment we are in. If you have the funds and afraid of the market, there are deals out there that can be had on old used truck with high mileage.

$19,500 is definitely a premium price but you have to consider all the factors.
1) Maintenance is up to date and it's been well taken care of.
2) It is local to you so you won't have to spend $1,000 give or take on airfare and gas to pick one up out of state.
3) Financially, it's significantly easier to trade yours in. Despite what others may say, paying extra for convenience is okay.
4) Rust is there but it's not bad considering the location and it can be treated.
5) The interior is extremely clean which is getting harder and harder to find, even in low mileage cars.
6) AC system. It seems that the dealer tried to do the right thing and get it fixed. A short term warranty on the system like you mentioned would be good to have. However, you may want to see if the lines are corroded and how bad the surrounding parts are if the issue returns.

Overall I'd say try to get it for less if you can. Otherwise, If you're comfortable with the price, it's not a bad deal at all and grab it. You will be paying a premium but if you find one for $15k, you may still be at that price once you get it home and get the maintenance up to par.

Don't get to wrapped up in the 100 vs 200 debate. I looked at some 200's (LC and LX) after my wife got her GX. The new features of her GX are nice and I was drinking the "new is good" kool-aid. Yes, the 200 is an upgrade in every way as some people say. But I still prefer driving my 100 as it's just a better fit for me. Personal preference is a big part to the equation.
Indeed, that is a good amount... but looking, it's inline with the market from what I can tell...
1) Maintenance all checks out and well taken care of at the Lexus dealership
2) it's about 90 miles from me, so a quick car ride away.
3) definitely convenient to purchase from the dealer and since i'm doing so, I want a clean rig
4) yeah, doesn't look too bad and I will be checking all the know rust spot issues (ac drain line, etc)
5) it is! i'm very picky when it comes to that. I'm happy to pay more for a cleaner interior
6) Yea, I figure that isn't much to ask the dealer to cover. I will definitely be checking it over in person though.

I will do what I can to haggle the price but if all checks out, I am comfortable paying the premium for convenience. Especially since the maintenance is up-to-date, has a well document service history, and is clean inside and out.

Honestly, not even considering the 200, I like the boxy look of the 100 and prefer it... Oh, I understand the "new is good"... ha-ha, I am a network administrator (IE: I build a lot of computers) and a member of Slickdeals... a deadly combination to the wallet ha-ha!

Thanks for your input!

This one comment as it is, isn't really good advice. It makes me think of the 18 year old that has $4k into a lift, rims and tires on a $2k pick up with alignment issues (a common sight where I live). You should always spend more on the base vehicle as the upgrades mean nothing if the rig is a POS and is constantly breaking down. Yes these go forever, but with all things being equal, a 130k mile rig will go longer than a 230k mile one. I put about 20k miles on my 2005 before spending any significant money on upgrades. I wanted to make sure the truck had what it needed before I got what I wanted. If that makes sense.
Yup, I don't plan to upgrade anything anytime soon, I just need more space than a hatchback. I want a vehicle I can keep until the tires fall off.

i'm not telling him to buy a beat up rusty ole truck; Plenty of 100 models available under 10k with full maintenance that just so happens to have high mileage.
I paid 9900 for my 2006 LX470 with 205k miles last year; one owner southern truck. They had already done the tb/wp and swap all fluids along with spark plugs. They are out there. Spending 18k is creeping towards 2008/2009 lx570 territory.

that extra 8-9k can go A LONG ways in OEM upgrades. I see no difference in a 200k mile truck and a 100k mile truck if maintenance are equal.
I understand where you are coming from, I do. I just prefer the 100's over the 200's. In regards to the price, I know it's a little high but from what I can tell, that's just the market (from my searching.) Sure, I can hold out and wait for the great deal to come along but i'm a bird in hand type of guy rather than two in the bush.

It's clean for a Northern truck, no issues with wrenching on that. You are paying for convenience and that's ok if it's the situation you are in. I'd use that $800 quote to get it cleaned up and try to haggle.

How long is your daily work commute?
I will do my best to haggle with the price but at the end of the day, if everything checks out, I am okay with the price it is now. As far as my work commute, it's about 3 steps to my desk. I work from home as a Network admin & managed services provider.

Understandable but at the end of the day, I already have a lien on my current vehicle, so adding to that doesn't worry me. Enjoy, and drink one for me!

I will do my best to haggle with the price but at the end of the day, if everything checks out, I am okay with the price it is now. As far as my work commute, it's about 3 steps to my desk. I work from home as a Network admin & managed services provider.

That is a good thing! Hold off on any long distance trips for a few weeks and take the time to get to know the vehicle. You'll love it! Even if you are not a mechanic you still should get comfortable getting under and seeing whats going on. I like to take mine to the dealerships and pay a little every year and see what the technicians find, I don't typically opt to have them fix anything but I get a good idea for what might be an issue and I can research and DIY.

I say this non sarcastically, but if you don’t mind likely being upside down on it very soon, go for it.
Market value may be 20k right now, but that can change pretty quickly. At the end of the day it’s a 15 year old suv with over 100k. Not that it’s a bad thing, but for 20k it’s a lot. Make sure insurance would cover the price you paid or look into GAP insurance.
That’s a premium price for a non premium quality LX. Has minor rust underneath and pretty high mileage for the price imo. My 2000 model with 300k has less rust underneath.

If you’re cross shopping a Honda then probably pass, you’re paying a lot for a generic SUV. If you know you want a cruiser then get it, ignore the guys who say you’re overpaying because they got a screaming deal, that’s not representative of going market rates. I had a built 200 and currently drive a 2006 LX that I like better, so don’t buy into the idea that the 200 is better in every way, it’s clearly not. I prioritize clean vehicles with solid history and low miles, and see nothing wrong paying a bit more. If you decide so sell, you will just get that premium right back. I say get it.
I agree with you. The LC/LX is what I want (and need to tow my other car if need). As said before, I'm okay with paying a little more for for a clean rig. I work from home and will be putting less than 2k mileage a year (if that) on the LX. Plus I typically keep a spotless vehicle. My thing is, I'll barely drive it, keep it extremely clean, keep maintenance records up-to-date, and come 5 years from now, it should be an excellent example of a clean LX.

Extra: Photo of my Old school Lancer I've been restoring
lancer2.jpg

I bought a 2006 LX470 last week from a dealer in New Jersey, though the car has been in Jacksonville, FL most of its life. One owner, clean Carfax, always serviced at Lexus dealer, all maintenance done. Very clean, everything is supposed to be operational. 147,000 miles. Cypress Pearl Metallic. It has some surface rust underneath, and looks similar to the pictures you showed. I ended up paying $13,995, plus $496 in dealer fees. To be fair, I haven’t seen it in person yet, but have extensive pics and dealer video walk around, but it seems to be very similar to your situation. I hope the comparison is helpful.
703B5A58-7B7A-4A0B-B366-73E53A0A1E04.jpeg

Last edited:
not wishing anything bad on anyone but there are a lot of cash strap folks out there right now. there are deals to be made.

That is a good thing! Hold off on any long distance trips for a few weeks and take the time to get to know the vehicle. You'll love it! Even if you are not a mechanic you still should get comfortable getting under and seeing whats going on. I like to take mine to the dealerships and pay a little every year and see what the technicians find, I don't typically opt to have them fix anything but I get a good idea for what might be an issue and I can research and DIY.
That's the plan! and I do the same thing, I like the convenience of the dealer to tell me what I "need" and fix accordingly. I'm nowhere remotely close to mechanic level, but I love old school cars and enjoy working on them, so ain't worried about doing some at home maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom