GM Dirt Dobbers 03 suburban build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Okay so my exhaust has been bumping the frame since I re done it. Time to cut out a section to shorten the axle hump. Also my brake line is acting as a droop strap I need about three more inches for the axle to droop all the way. Anyone recommend a longer brake line? I know on my Toyota I can extend it by adding a front brake line to the rear any such thing with the Chevy?

20200310_183110.jpg

20200310_183043.jpg

20200310_183138.jpg

20200310_205009.jpg

So when I did my trip last month I noticed the passenger rear brake was dagging and getting hot, I gave it a few raps with a hammer and it seemed to stop dragging. The past couple of time I ran into town and back I could smell the brake again.

When I did the brake job cleaned everything good and greased the pins and the ends of the pads where they make contact seemed like everything moved easy enough.

looks like new calipers and hoses are in the need.....I was looking at brake line lengths and if the 1500 Silverado has the same fittings the line is almost 4" longer which will help my droop. I figure I will replace all three rubber lines and both calipers, the pads are new already so.

Ok I brought home a bunch of brake parts today, the biggest thing I wanted to figure out was the compatibility between the suburban and the Silverado rear center rubber line.. the fitting sizes are the same as expected but the tabs that fit in the bracket are clocked differently. Should be as easy as bending the brackets the opposite direction.

ok the engineer that decided to put the dadgum connection between the hard and soft lines above the spare tire mount is an idiot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok enough rant...got it all put back together except the bracket for the above line...I would have been better off just cutting a new grove for the line and not bending it all backwards, I don't know what I was thinking, doing so put the bolt hole on the wrong side of the pin notch and puts the brake line in the way of the bolt to tighten it up. And now Im noticed the same connections has a bad leak...…...ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG......oh well guess I will have the chance to bend the bracket back the way it originally was and put a notch in the line where it needs to be....live and learn.... and that's what I ended up doing.

20200318_180406.jpg

20200318_180708.jpg

20200318_180711.jpg

20200318_180441.jpg

Well took it on a trip yesterday.. on some county roads and forest service roads. If it had not been for gaia I wouldn't have known the roads where public. With all the recent rain there was many creek crossings and I actually got my wife out on the trails.

FB_IMG_1584904973213.jpg

FB_IMG_1584904987198.jpg

FB_IMG_1584904914219.jpg

FB_IMG_1584904933962.jpg

FB_IMG_1584904846229.jpg

So at the falls it appeared everyone from the city was socially distancing to the country so we drove over to the ozark trail side of the falls and through the deepest water crossing yet. Just over the bumpers when entering and exiting but just to the bottom of the doors, then we drove back to Klepzig again and had it all to our selves. I even got to get a little fly fishing in. And found the elk again.

FB_IMG_1584904790893.jpg

91391307_3461772307171569_2050895605949005824_n.jpg

92380824_664663674333345_7004906224562995200_n.jpg

92051701_242568220120418_282856951157620736_n.jpg

FB_IMG_1584904763461.jpg

I ended up bleeding all 4 corners about 5 times and now the fluid coming out looks the same as the fluid going in, I have not had a problem with the brakes since then so I assume it was air or moister in the fluid.

That catches me up on mud.....

So In fixing to buy the steel to build my bumpers I'm going to put on a swing out.. question for y 'all what's the best well best for the price hinge kit for a swing out?
Huh?

Lost you on the last half there.....

Huh?

Lost you on the last half there.....

I did a little better punctuating. LOL redneck in me runs it all together.
but what I'm asking is I need a hinge or all inclusive hinge kit to build the swing out for the rear bumper. I a cheap skate but don't want to buy a spindle from the trailer store I'm afraid it will brake on me. I asked the question on a overland page on face book and was confronted with people that obviously make more money than I and was spending 150 bucks on just the spindle...but they where Landcruiser guys so that explains that. Not that I wouldn't have one if I could of afforded one....

I did a little better punctuating. LOL redneck in me runs it all together.
but what I'm asking is I need a hinge or all inclusive hinge kit to build the swing out for the rear bumper. I a cheap skate but don't want to buy a spindle from the trailer store I'm afraid it will brake on me. I asked the question on a overland page on face book and was confronted with people that obviously make more money than I and was spending 150 bucks on just the spindle...but they where Landcruiser guys so that explains that. Not that I wouldn't have one if I could of afforded one....
I get it.

I have been looking at some of this type of thing.

Tractor Supply has some that you can kinda build your own and I was looking at doing it with a trailer spindle shaft.
1587560952728.png

Otherwise, you COULD use a spindle from the rear of a front wheel drive car and grind/torch/cut off the outer part of the hub to get it down to a size you need. The bearings would be easily obtainable and you would know where to get seals. It would have dust cap/cover on it. Could also do one from an implement dealer or an old wagon or something from a piece of farm machinery.

The main thing is making the spindle go far enough DOWN into the bumper that it can pick up the bottom of the bumper to support the overhung load. You can do this with a piece of pipe or shaft out the back of the spindle.

Good Luck!

I kinda though this was what you were asking, but wanted to make sure.

I get it.

I have been looking at some of this type of thing.

Tractor Supply has some that you can kinda build your own and I was looking at doing it with a trailer spindle shaft.
View attachment 2281642

Otherwise, you COULD use a spindle from the rear of a front wheel drive car and grind/torch/cut off the outer part of the hub to get it down to a size you need. The bearings would be easily obtainable and you would know where to get seals. It would have dust cap/cover on it. Could also do one from an implement dealer or an old wagon or something from a piece of farm machinery.

The main thing is making the spindle go far enough DOWN into the bumper that it can pick up the bottom of the bumper to support the overhung load. You can do this with a piece of pipe or shaft out the back of the spindle.

Good Luck!

I kinda though this was what you were asking, but wanted to make sure.
Yeah the spindle on the rear of a fwd car sounded good but dang if I'm going to the junkyards now the wasp have come back to life after winter...never thought about a spindle for an implement..... Plenty of the of those around too... The trailer spindle I get mixed reviews on every time I talk about it. seems like 50/50 some say it wont last a year and will break off at the bottom bearing and other people say Ive had one for 10 years on my FJ40 on 38's with no problems...I think as long as you support the end opposite from the spindle when closed and running down the road you would be ok but I would sure hate for my space and small propane tank to be skidding down the interstate at 70mph.

started playing with my drawer system ideas and come up with a 3 drawer idea, one for tools and recovery, one for cooking, one for general stuff. Also come up with a drawer slide that will also tilt when pulled out. But looks like I'm not the first with the idea...LOL its all just tacked together will be finalizing this weekend along with a couple of huge book cases for my wife... all my drawer components are from left overs of her book shelf.
20200518_232705 (2).jpg
20200521_170410.jpg
20200521_171820.jpg
20200521_171936.jpg

Had a choice between a new cooler or a GMRS radio for fathers day...I know food should have been priority but the radio is on the way...also paid the fee for my FCC license today.

Last weekend I went out scouting kayak fishing and camping spots found a few and ran about 70 miles of dirt in the process
20200620_230553.jpg
20200620_230536.jpg
20200620_230516.jpg
20200620_192416.jpg