Definitive led thread for 80s (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I replaced all my cluster illumination bulbs with PIAA Super Whites 7 years ago and the last one just burnt out. Time to finally upgrade to LEDs I think. What's the latest report on LEDs failing, dimming, flickering? My dome light replacements have all buggered out and I don't trust the LED quality these days. Any feedback is welcome, I need to order something very soon.

Just go back and read the recent posts in this thread. @jcardona1 just offered a bunch of great insight into his very recent (last month) experiences with LEDs.

Just go back and read the recent posts in this thread. @jcardona1 just offered a bunch of great insight into his very recent (last month) experiences with LEDs.
Oh I have, I've kept up on this thread from the day I bought my cruiser in 2012 and that's why I stayed with incandescent's back then. Most of my truck is LED but concerning the cluster lights, I'm not seeing many incandescent options these days and even @jcardona1 stayed with incandescents in the cluster so I'm really on the fence on going LED here and given the lack of quality in the 31mm festoon LEDs I've seen over the past 3 years (I've gone through 4x LEDs and the latest is so dim I can't see anything), I'm not sure the quality is there and I don't want to go back into the cluster sooner than I have to.

Is there an updated list for all the lamps of what goes where? It looks like the heater lights need to be soldered in correct?

Is there an updated list for all the lamps of what goes where? It looks like the heater lights need to be soldered in correct?

Post #402

Post #402

Thanks for the research.

When it comes to dash lighting, @jcardona1 is the best. All the other wheelers want to touch his breast.

giphy.gif

Installed Sylvania Zero red LED in brake lights. When the right turn signal is on, the left brake pulses softly. I'm considering going back to halogens until I have a solution. Any ideas?

Bad ground connection to the tail light socket. You have to resolder the connetion. See below.

Thank you to all the contributors of this thread. I dove in to the dash today and replaced several bulbs with leds. Originally I planned to use red bulbs for the night vision benefits but I changed my mind after I read an article that Toyota used green dash lights in the old days because green makes people happy.
I used a combination of Retailers for bulbs and kept factory bulbs For the dash shift indicator so it wouldn’t be too bright.
Autolumination t4 neowedge for switches: Autolumination Neowedege Neo Wedge Instrument Panel Gauge Colored Led Bulbs Lights Lamps T3 T4 T5 T4.2 T4.7 39397-SA5-003 35852-SEP-A02 35853-SDA-A01 81850-35050 79674-S3N-941 79607-SHJ-S01 36773-SEP-A01 35851-sm4-003 36774-SEP-A01 79628-S2a-003 35855-S2A-003 35851-S2A-003 35855-S2A-A11 5019519-AA 4897949AA Neowedge Japanese OEM 2 SMD Led Bulb
Diodedynamics for the t5 gauge backlights and type 74: Interior LED Bulbs & License Plate LED Bulb Replacements
Amazon 12v with built in resistor: 12v 3mm Round Top Clear Lens LED - Pure Green LED - Ultra Bright (5v-15v)
Superbrightleds:

380BADE2-6446-4D4A-9386-35B8D7D8E365.jpeg

1600612C-E519-490D-A0C5-7A01DF858456.jpeg

Last edited:
First issue with new leds: when I push the brake pedal the turn signal indicators illuminate on the dash. They’re not as bright as when the actual flashers are flashing but it’s noticeable. Is this typical for an led swap? Anyone have led bulbs up there that don’t do this or will I have to put normal bulbs back in?
Thanks.

First issue with new leds: when I push the brake pedal the turn signal indicators illuminate on the dash. They’re not as bright as when the actual flashers are flashing but it’s noticeable. Is this typical for an led swap? Anyone have led bulbs up there that don’t do this or will I have to put normal bulbs back in?
Thanks.
Mine don't do that. The only issue I've had with mine is that the Park indicator is always illuminated. Brighter when it's actually in Park but always lit.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Mine don't do that. The only issue I've had with mine is that the Park indicator is always illuminated. Brighter when it's actually in Park but always lit.

Which bulbs did you get for the turn signal indicators?
The shift park indicator staying lit seems to be somewhat common and one of the reasons I left factory bulbs in the shift indicator lights.

Oy! Anybody know the correct LED to replace the bulb in the trans shifter? Mine has been out as long as I have the truck and it's different from all the dash LEDs. I skimmed back through the thread and didn't see it. Could have missed it. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Found it on @jcardona1 's spreadsheet. I must have skipped that page when browsing the thread. Looks like a 74 incandescent or T5 wedge led?

Oy! Anybody know the correct LED to replace the bulb in the trans shifter? Mine has been out as long as I have the truck and it's different from all the dash LEDs. I skimmed back through the thread and didn't see it. Could have missed it. Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: Found it on @jcardona1 's spreadsheet. I must have skipped that page when browsing the thread. Looks like a 74 incandescent or T5 wedge led?

I used the type 74 equivalent from diodedynamics.
It’s got a hot spot under the N D 2 indicators but isn’t horrible.

I need a couple bulbs! I have my dash out so I figured it is a great time to replace that bulb that is out in my climate control. I think I saw it is a type 74 but that was the one also for the plate illuminator? I must be wrong. I am looking for two white LED replacements for my climate control.

Mine does the same, but if I put the transfer case into neutral, the P light goes out. Now it has a purpose!

I looked pretty recently. Everyone here that was making kits available stopped a while ago.

I was fortunate and the park and so forth only come on when they are suppose to. But this light won’t go off. Any suggestions? I may see if I can find an oem bulb if that will help. when I put the truck in 4wd low it does get brighter, but is always on otherwise. It’s the only light that seems to be doing that after putting in leds.

I really hate to be this guy because I can't stand it when people do this, but it might be better to find out the reason the light is coming on. I can't recall that light on my 80 series, but it has never come on. I have detached and re-installed an airbag too. As a matter of fact, I am pretty sure I have driven around with the airbag out for a while. Could it be something as simple as a fuse? The sensor in the 80 is in front of the gearshift. I would think it is in a similar place in later models. My experience with airbags (I deal with them as part of my job) is that they can go off in extremely inopportune times when f'd up. If the light is on, I would figure out what is going on, or if you don't care if the AB is working, then it is super simple to take the wheel off and disconnect it permanently. Just look up how to do it right. It is a redundant safety for an electric charge to set off a small explosive so keep ground and static in mind. So far, I have never heard of anyone setting one off by disconnecting it though. It might at least lead to the light issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom