New Member*** SIXTY DEUCE ON THE LOOSE!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Oregon Department of Transportation spays mag chloride with corrosion inhibitors. So glad they don’t use salt.
I do a lot of winter driving and my 60s is in great shape. When I did the spring over axle (SOA) I was under the 60 a lot and it’s frame is clean and solid, even after 6 previous years of winter driving. Don’t let the mag chloride scare you from enjoying your new baby. Check Colorado’s Department of Transportation and see if they add corrosion inhibitors. I’m surprised they spray that up in the Rockies. Only spraying is down in the valley here in Oregon where most people don’t know how to drive when is snows or we get ice. Up in the Cascades they plow and apply cinder rock for traction.

Oregon Department of Transportation spays mag chloride with corrosion inhibitors. So glad they don’t use salt.
I do a lot of winter driving and my 60s is in great shape. When I did the spring over axle (SOA) I was under the 60 a lot and it’s frame is clean and solid, even after 6 previous years of winter driving. Don’t let the mag chloride scare you from enjoying your new baby. Check Colorado’s Department of Transportation and see if they add corrosion inhibitors. I’m surprised they spray that up in the Rockies. Only spraying is down in the valley here in Oregon where most people don’t know how to drive when is snows or we get ice. Up in the Cascades they plow and uses cinder rock for traction.

Thank you so much for this! I was racking my brain trying to figure out how I can just get more info on what I’m up against here. And what exactly is used in my area not only on the streets but the dirt roads as well. I will for sure be giving them a call on Monday. Thanks again!

I'm just going by what I see. My relative owns a 60 series, and a repair shop that specializes in land cruisers here in Colorado. So I get to see a lot of Colorado 60 series land cruisers. The mag chloride destroyed his 60 body. It doesn't seem to hurt frames too bad. It's not like when I lived in the north east salt belt as far as that level. I have a pic of his rusty 60 somewhere. He ended up buying a clean one with a blown motor and swapped the axles, and V8 and suspension over to the clean one and just let's it sit mostly in the winter now because it's a lot of work to transfer stuff to a fresh body. Colorado does add salt to the roads as well as mag chloride. The cdot Facebook page talks about it. Keeping the 3Rd Gen 4runner is a great idea.

Boiled linseed oil dries to a thin coating and will nominally prevent rust. I would argue (and I grew up in Michigan, land of rust) that for best rust protection, you need a fairly thick layer of grease. I formerly used aerosol Lithium grease (like you spray on hood latches and door hinges). Easy to apply, runny enough to creep into cracks, and wipes off easily for repairs. I have to admit that Fluid Film (sold at Lowes) is very nice stuff - really goes on thick and snotty - won't wash right off. Yes, it stinks a bit, so maybe use FF on the bottom of your truck, and use Lithium grease inside the door cavities and rear fenders.

There are home-brew recipes for rustproofing - I used ATF and paraffin, mixed warmed on a Coleman stove, and you can apply it warm with a paint brush, and it leaves behind a waxy, oily coating. Frankly, for the hassle, I'd get 2-3 cans of Fluid Film and go wild under the truck. Remember that brake lines and other non-body-metal stuff rust away just like the body and frame, so hit those, too, especially where brake lines pass through a retainer fitting. Fortunately, Colorado isn't as bad as states where the humidity is not high all the time, but obviously, you still need to protect your truck.

Steve

no 4wd Toyota product handles road chemicals well. Land cruiser bodies rust and tacoma/4runner frames rust out and suspension links fail.

I'd get a AWD car/suv something for winter duty, until our elected officials quit spreading harsh, corrosive, harmful chemicals all over the roads.

Yes I got a 2000 4WD / AWD 4runner for winter. It's white too! With AWD you can drive it on the highway in case you hit a patch of ice, without wrecking the transfer case on the dry sections of pavement. I coated the underside with Fluid Film and put linseed oil rust preventer in the doors since FF stinks more. You'll never get it everywhere though. The cruiser has lots of overlapping sheet metal around the wheel wells that you'd never be able to get rust preventer into so it just won't be driven in winter.

Also get a pressure washer and the Ryobi washer broom. It's great at soaking everything underneath to get salt out. I wash the 4runner every chance I get when it's salty. The best wash is to drive it down the road in a heavy rain in spring.

Yes I got a 2000 4WD / AWD 4runner for winter. It's white too! With AWD you can drive it on the highway in case you hit a patch of ice, without wrecking the transfer case on the dry sections of pavement. I coated the underside with Fluid Film and put linseed oil rust preventer in the doors since FF stinks more. You'll never get it everywhere though. The cruiser has lots of overlapping sheet metal around the wheel wells that you'd never be able to get rust preventer into so it just won't be driven in winter.

Also get a pressure washer and the Ryobi washer broom. It's great at soaking everything underneath to get salt out. I wash the 4runner every chance I get when it's salty. The best wash is to drive it down the road in a heavy rain in spring.
Hey! Thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking about doing the linseed coating! It looks messy but I’m willing to give it ago. And you totally nailed it with the Ryobi power washer broom! WAY better than most of the drive through $25 undercarriage car washes out here.
I’ve heard through the grapevine that our little town won’t be using mag chloride as dust prevention this summer bc of cost. I live on a dirt road that they spray regularly so my battle with mag chloride is not seasonal but a daily struggle. Looks like I’ll have a total of about 6 months to plan, plot and prepare for my defense before winter hits again!
Wish me luck! I’m going to need it!!! 🍀🍀🍀

Hey! Thanks for the feedback! I’m thinking about doing the linseed coating! It looks messy but I’m willing to give it ago. And you totally nailed it with the Ryobi power washer broom! WAY better than most of the drive through $25 undercarriage car washes out here.
I’ve heard through the grapevine that our little town won’t be using mag chloride as dust prevention this summer bc of cost. I live on a dirt road that they spray regularly so my battle with mag chloride is not seasonal but a daily struggle. Looks like I’ll have a total of about 6 months to plan, plot and prepare for my defense before winter hits again!
Wish me luck! I’m going to need it!!! 🍀🍀🍀

Since you are up in Ouray, are you coming to Solid Axle Sumit?

Happy Birthday Sara...My sister birthday too is 3rd April..And my rig too was given on my Birthday..my 37th one..Such a Coincidence..With a Toyota, we will always be wanting to do little projects on our ride..With this forum, its the perfect place for advice and meeting new pals...Nice looking rig btw. 😁👍

My favorite color on a 60 series. Great looking truck. Envy where you live. My in-laws have some property in Ridgeway near the SAS KOA down on 550. Been going out there since the 90's. Still my favorite part of the world. Congrats on the Cruiser.

I’ll be there !! Can’t wait!!! You going?
I see you’re in Di
I will be. Not sure which project I'm going to be bringing though.....
S
I will be. Not sure which project I'm going to be bringing though.....
i know Puray is talkingm
ee you there!!
My favorite color on a 60 series. Great looking truck. Envy where you live. My in-laws have some property in Ridgeway near the SAS KOA down on 550. Been going out there since the 90's. Still my favorite part of the world. Congrats on the Cruiser.
Thanks so much! I’m really excited! Are you going to SAS this year???

Thanks so much! I’m really excited! Are you going to SAS this year???

Things at work were such that I didn't sign up in time. I usually make a trek out there each year with some non-cruiser pals from work so they are not into the SAS thing. I usually spare them from going. I went out there last year and stopped by SAS base camp but schedules and my buddies didn't really allow me to join in the fun. I am not sure what my plans will be this year yet things being what they are, so short answer is I am not sure. Hoping to make it out that way sometime this summer but who knows.

Interestingly my in-laws received this yesterday:

pictures[2995].jpg

Seems somewhat open-ended so not sure what that means for folks travelling to your neck of the woods this Summer.

Things at work were such that I didn't sign up in time. I usually make a trek out there each year with some non-cruiser pals from work so they are not into the SAS thing. I usually spare them from going. I went out there last year and stopped by SAS base camp but schedules and my buddies didn't really allow me to join in the fun. I am not sure what my plans will be this year yet things being what they are, so short answer is I am not sure. Hoping to make it out that way sometime this summer but who knows.
If you wanted to attend the event you can be put on the waiting list! Just email: solidaxle2018@gmail.com
Hope to see you there!

View attachment 2280485

Seems somewhat open-ended so not sure what that means for folks travelling to your neck of the woods this Summer.

View attachment 2280485

Yep! They’re also talking about prolonging the plow process to access the high alpine trails- to discourage tourist from coming to the area. SAS isn’t until August so fingers crossed all this 😷 is over by then 🤞🏻.

@Sarajco So how is the progress on your rig going?
Much slower than I’d like!! But it’s coming around. Completely rebuilding my knuckles and troubleshooting little things before putting on my lift and tires. Replacing 32 year old hoses. Asking myself what kind of drugs Toyota engineers were on when they made my power windows system in 1988.😂 Losing sleep nightly thinking about rust and mag chloride... You know... typical Cruiser things 😂😂😂 It’s going to be REAL sad if I get everything done by summertime and there’s no trails for me to wheel on around here ☹

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom