Are any of you 70-Series guys running a Cross Country 4x4 top mounted intercooler? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lelandEOD

SILVER Star
Threads
From the few folks I've talked to, it seems that Cross Country 4x4 in AU makes a good quality intercooler kit. Since I'd have to order one from across the Pacific, I can't easily return it if something doesn't fit. Would one of you be willing to take a couple measurements and/or snap some photos of your install for me? I need to figure out if it'll work with the amount of hood clearance I have to work with. I have installed a turbo'ed 1HZ in my FJ40 and feel like I may need to add an intercooler to get my exhaust temps lower.
Cross Country's website leave a lot to be desired. The photos of their intercoolers are small and there are scant details on what is actually included. I would also like to know how their Spal fan is operated (thermo switch, manual operation 100% duty cycle, etc.?) so I'd appreciate any feedback you gents can provide.

TIA!

If you are looking in Australia .. there are several options to pick ..

But if this it's for your 1HZ on your 40 my fist question would be, you like it on top or front ..

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I've already settled on a top-mounted Air-to-Air setup for reasons of simplicity and space requirements. Fitting a front mounted setup is just not possible in a 40-series and I do not want the added complexity of a water-to-air intercooler.

it took me a year to come to grips with the idea of cutting a hole and adding a scoop to my hood, but after driving this turbocharged 1HZ for a month now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something. My exhaust temps (pre-turbo) easily shoot up to 1,000°F at highway speeds and even though I've only been driving in 50°-60°F ambient temps, I know the hot months are coming.

I'd also like to avoid the cheap eBay Chinese top mounted units and decided on the Cross Country 4x4 because it appears to be made in Aus. and has a good reputation.

Here’s a photo that illustrates why I cannot run a front mounted intercooler: there’s no more room in this little 40 series engine bay:
162E08A1-F2B9-44CE-9AFA-C6F9FFCF4544.jpeg

Last edited:
Cross Country are nicely-made, I had the 80 series Ultimate on my HDJ80.

The fan is wired to ignition on power and runs constantly.

The kit is a complete kit, mounts, hoses, wiring harness, relay etc, but I imagine that it might be a bit of a squeeze to get a 70 series kit into a 40, although I'm probably picturing one of the big cores, something like this mightn't be too bad.

Thanks for the replies, fellas. I've already settled on a top-mounted Air-to-Air setup for reasons of simplicity and space requirements. Fitting a front mounted setup is just not possible in a 40-series and I do not want the added complexity of a water-to-air intercooler.

it took me a year to come to grips with the idea of cutting a hole and adding a scoop to my hood, but after driving this turbocharged 1HZ for a month now, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do something. My exhaust temps (pre-turbo) easily shoot up to 1,000°F at highway speeds and even though I've only been driving in 50°-60°F ambient temps, I know the hot months are coming.

I'd also like to avoid the cheap eBay Chinese top mounted units and decided on the Cross Country 4x4 because it appears to be made in Aus. and has a good reputation.

Thats where I'm at. I really would like an intercooler, but it's a huge pain for top mount A2A in a 13BT and then cutting the hole in there (even though hood scoops are cool as hell) Its pushing me toward A2W. Not really thrilled with the water pump and extra radiators but I don't have a ton of other options.

What speeds are you seeing 1000 at? 55? 65? 70? I can run 650~800 pre-turbo going 60mph depending on headwind. a few days ago I was running 1000~1100 into a bad headwind and running 65~67mph. I did just turn up my fuel a little and my boost tops at 11psi now. If I get more boost those temps will probably come down more.

Cross Country are nicely-made, I had the 80 series Ultimate on my HDJ80.

The fan is wired to ignition on power and runs constantly.

The kit is a complete kit, mounts, hoses, wiring harness, relay etc, but I imagine that it might be a bit of a squeeze to get a 70 series kit into a 40, although I'm probably picturing one of the big cores, something like this mightn't be too bad.

Yes, that is precisely the kit I’m looking at. The larger intercooler would not fit under my hood with the current air cleaner location.

Here’s a photo that illustrates why I cannot run a front mounted intercooler: there’s no more room in this little 40 series engine bay:
View attachment 2275537

Oh we are in the same boat swapping in a 1HDFT into a 45-series right now. Hood scoop not going to happen in this build so going to have to figure out another way.

Cheers

Just spit balling.... Plenty of room to stand up an air to air core, rather than laying flat. Duct in air from the upper grill intake. This ducting could be attached to the hood... this would be similar to the ducting system that Toyota uses on the VDJ200. Intercooler core in yellow, intake air at blue oval/grill top, air flow blue arrows.
IMG_3356.jpg
IMG_3359.jpg

I’ve been wrestling with ideas on intercooler placement, as I’m eventually planning an 1HZ turbo into my 40.

Somewhere on MUD (or at least on the Internet) is a shot of a 40 series cruiser with a front mount using a chevy pickup radiator, a Volvo 240 intercooler, and a custom rad shroud. This has always piqued my curiosity about whether or not it would work.

Yeah, with a B engine, there’s lots of room for a front mount IC. With a 1HZ though, not so much.
D09EAF35-53CE-49AE-AE8B-3B6EFDC3B108.jpeg

Just spit balling.... Plenty of room to stand up an air to air core, rather than laying flat. Duct in air from the upper grill intake. This ducting could be attached to the hood... this would be similar to the ducting system that Toyota uses on the VDJ200. Intercooler core in yellow, intake air at blue oval/grill top, air flow blue arrows.
View attachment 2277078View attachment 2277079

I actually had the same idea! If I were an autocad whiz, had access to a 3D printer, and a CNC, I’d be all over it!

D0C6BE28-1FEC-43D2-9C2D-68E8B78BAE1B.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom