Builds Lumpy the LandCruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Also, Anyone know where to find these factory green wire straps?
1578354785960.png

@RodrigzCrzr Perfect! and thank you for the compliment and the source for the straps! (Throwing the link up there for my reference later on, and if anyone else needs them).

Great write up! Thank you for taking so many pics. You really did a great job cleaning it up and the painting.

I was cleaning up my coil/igniter last night. Not sure if I should replace the coil. What are your guys thoughts? It worked fine before I tore the engine apart last year, but it's pretty rusty on the top. Should I just wire wheel the rust and call it good until it goes out? I'd hate for it to go out when I'm out in the middle of nowhere. A new one from Toyota is about $65, or Rock Auto has aftermarket for $25-35. I'm hesitant on the aftermarket just based on the reliability of the Denso coil.

1578496815765.png
1578496849875.png

1578496919112.png

Nice work!!! What cleaning pad do you use on your angle grinder. Seems to do a great job!!

@ceylonfj40nut @Robert Franzke I use a ceramic paint and rust strip disc.
They have them on Amazon as well.
That gets the big surface stuff. smaller surface I use varying sizes of wire wheels on my drill.
I've found with the angle grinder, because it's a ceramic pad, if there are any sharp edges or grooves, and you're not careful, it will rip the disc up pretty quick. WEAR EYE AND DUST PROTECTION! It really flings stuff in a hurry...

It's been quite a long time since I have posted anything. Mainly because life is busy with no love for the Cruisers... Currently I'm slowly working on getting the intake and exhaust cleaned up.
1585347017726.png

Dad's Little Helper!
1585347064043.png

She did a great job! Now time for the exhaust manifold. All new bolts and gaskets are ordered up along with the heat riser block off plate.
1585347099809.png

Then her and her brother went and crawled on the "crawler"! The attention span for scrubbing parts is short.
1585347164114.png

When I put it all back together, I'm desmogging it. Does anyone know if a 2F FJ40 (pre smog) exhaust horn will fit on the 2F FJ60 manifold? It would be great to not have to put a plug in the rear horn for the exhaust. One of the bolts is broken off in there, and I'd have to drill it out and helicoil it to be able to put the Jim C. plug in.
1585347398774.png

Made my own block off plate. I had way too much play in the heat coil bushing thing causing a big exhaust leak, plus the plate was completely rusted off and just laying in the manifold. I'll plug the hole and put this block off plate in to save my intake from heating up and cracking. OEM gaskets to match.

1585602301051.png

After A LOT of scrubbing, I'm almost done with the intake and exhaust. I ordered all new OEM Toyota bolts, gaskets, etc... Only thing I need to do before I have them bolted back together and milled is to figure out how to plug the heat coil hole. I was originally thinking of just getting a large bolt/washer and washer/nut on the inside and with some high temp RTV silicone in the middle to plug it up. This way I can "unplug" it if I ever go back to the smog stuff. I was wondering if a cap would work though, and if i can have a machine shop press one in when I have the block side milled flat. Any ideas?

(The before picture is in a post above)

1586209945858.png

Cleaned up the timing cover plate. Still trying to figure out what to do about plugging the heat coil hole on the exhaust.

1586976979067.png
1586977203592.png

Also cleaned up the Crank Pulley. Stripped about 5lbs of gunk off the thing.

1586977590127.png
1586977607860.png

Really beautiful work. I look forward to seeing the completed job (and hearing it run)!
I lost my dad this winter to pancreatic cancer- hard not being able to tell him about victories. I’ll keep a thought for you and your dad.

Really beautiful work. I look forward to seeing the completed job (and hearing it run)!
I lost my dad this winter to pancreatic cancer- hard not being able to tell him about victories. I’ll keep a thought for you and your dad.
I can't wait to start it up... hopefully sooner than later!
Thank you for your thoughts, I really appreciate it. It's definitely tough not having him around. I'll keep a thought for you guys as well.

Took the family out for a cruise in the 40 around the lake the other day. It was a great day to have the 40 out. Since ski season has been cancelled I'm looking forward to more sunny warm days!

1587056899190.png

When I installed the crank pulley oil in the timing cover, I was using my seal installer, and somehow the garter spring fell out and got pinched between the seal and the cover and messed it all up. I put it back in place and for a quick second thought about just "letting it ride", because it went back in and I really had ambitions of getting the timing cover back on, but decided it's not worth having the potential oil leak, which would most likely happen. So I pulled it off and ordered a new oil seal. Should get here Saturday. Then more progress!

1587076392027.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom